1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

BBall Breakdown video-Why Jeremy Lin is out of the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Aug 7, 2019.

1. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Nick nurse only plays three guards---lowry, 'mean' green, and van fleet.

Nurse played five bigs---leanard, gasol, siakom, ibaka, powell

2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

According to Coach Nick -- the guy who made the video we are all discussing in this thread.

Are you serious about this? 6th place?

For an award given out to bench players, Lin finish not top-3, not even top-5, but 6th place?

Jeremy Lin -- 11th man of the year -- what a fitting title!

That's exactly what I and half a dozen other people have already said in this thread. Coach Nick even laid it out pretty good when he says Lin struggled to play shooting guard next to Kemba and was a bad fit.

Are you dense or do you just like repeating everything everyone else has already said?

Jeez... I don't know... did you forget the part when Coach Nick talks about Kenny Atkinson running D'Antoni's "21 series" and "pistol action" for Lin in Brooklyn?

Doesn't get any more custom tailored than that. Lin is only good in systems that use remnants of D'Antoni's system.

Are you deaf?

at 18:05 in the video, Coach Nick clearly says, "As Trae really started figuring things out the second half of the season, it was time for the veteran [Lin] to move on."

Go back to and watch the part about Lin's time in Houston. Coach Nick even saved Lin the embarrassment by completely omitting Lin's disastrous Low Basketball IQ mental breakdown against the Blazers in a crucial game 4.

Come to think of it... maybe @Deckard is right. This video does seem like a paid informercial now where all the terrible parts are never shown.

But we here at Clutchfans are not paid Jeremy Lin shills so here's that moment again in all of its awfulness...

That's the whole damn point everyone in this thread has already made.

Lin doesn't work with Melo... doesn't work with Harden... doesn't work with Kobe... doesn't work with Kemba... doesn't work with Kawhi.

This is why nobody wants him. He can't play next to another superstar.

READ YOUR OWN WORDS SLOWLY BACK TO YOURSELF.

I rest my case.

3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Ever since the New York Media Hype, The Chinese media have been following Jeremy Lin ever since than.

To New York, Houston, Los Angeles, Charlotte, Atlanta, Brooklyn, Toronto

The Chinese media always follows him. The Chinese media always repeating the same dumb question of why Jeremy Lin not playing. I am sure Coaches are tired of repeating the same answer. I wish the coaches would say there are better Point Guards than him, the media always twists words into something racist.

Jeremy Lin is so needy in Attention seeking way, his hairdo was racist. With his dreadlocks.
    His other other hairdo, his spikes, Slick back. Talk about wanting attention even though you are a journeyman.

I honestly don't care about Jeremy Lin, just a hypocrite, calls out James Harden in his Speech, that's just pathetic.

clutchdabear, ghettocheeze and Jontro like this.
  4. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Coach Nick said that Lin's numbers went down, but he did not say Lin was not productive. He in fact said that while things were not well-suited for him, Lin still was able to make plays and contribute to the team.

Yes. And considering that only 20 players actually received votes at all, this is pretty good indication that Lin was productive for Charlotte.

No, it's not exactly what you said. You said that Lin struggled to be productive in Charlotte, so he opted out to sign somewhere else. I said that he was productive enough to earn interest from Brooklyn, so he opted out. See the difference? You said he wasn't productive, I said he was. These are very different things...you could even say they were the exact opposite.

I am a Nets fan, so I have listened to Kenny Atkinson quite a bit when he talks about how different his system is than D'Antoni's. Sure, he uses a couple of a sets that are similar, but generally Atkinson runs a system that has both PG and SG playing more as combo guards, and overall the system is "positionless" except for the C. I've watched almost every Nets game coached by Atkinson, and it's pretty obvious that it was a very different system than what D'Antoni ran with the Knicks.

Did you follow the Hawks at all this past year? Did Lin see his minutes go down "As Trae really started figuring things out"? No. Did Coach Nick have some particular insight talking with Hawks coaches about Lin being phased out? No.

Huh...so you think that Coach Nick is spot on about everything else, but when he says Lin was productive in Houston, it's "saving Lin the embarrassment"? LOL!

In fact, Coach Nick says in the video at 20:10 "In fact there is plenty of evidence that Lin is more than a capable point guard in the NBA", and that since most of the NBA has caught up with D'Antoni's philosophy in the game, Lin should be able to fit in on a lot of teams.

No one works with Melo. No one worked well with Kobe in those last two years. He worked well with Kemba (just not to his potential). Had a bad stretch with Toronto, no question. But other than Toronto, he was productive. Not a superstar. Productive.

Don't quit your day job...

#44 yoeddy, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why Clutchfans should never let non Rockets fans join

These are trolls

In the case of the LOF they are almost religious cults

ghettocheeze and yoeddy like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's too bad there aren't more non Black or white players.

Would be nice to see more Mexican or Indian players in the L.

tinman likes this.
  7. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Any particular reason for those countries? I enjoyed watching Eduardo Najera when he was with the Nets, although he wasn't so impactful then.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

See, I saw all the flags you're listing but didn't want to put forth the effort you did. Maybe he watched the video, in the same sense I listen when my girlfriend asks me to put the clothes in the dryer. A day later when the clothes are soaking wet in the washer, whether I listened or not I have the same result: angry girlfriend and wet/moldy clothes. The video is well done and is a fair assessment of Lin. If people choose to ignore it, or cherry pick data from it, so be it.

Zboy and ghettocheeze like this.
  9. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

You keep using "productive" and "contribute" in this discussion as catchphrases when this video was made to discuss why teams no longer want Jeremy Lin.

Sure, Lin can be "productive" and can "contribute" on lottery teams like the Nets and Hawks with nothing to lose, but the minute you put him on a playoff contender like the Raptors, Lin is so bad that they have to bench him and go with a short rotation.

Perhaps the operative words you should use are your own, "not well-suited" as in... Jeremy Lin is not well-suited to play point guard for a playoff team in the NBA.

Do you even understand what 6th Man of the Year represents?

There are 30 teams in the NBA. 150 starters. There is no award for 2nd man of the year, or 3rd, or 4th, or 5th.

You can keep arguing the merits of finishing 6th place for 6th man, but by the time you get there it's so washed out and meaningless.

There you go again with the "productive" catchphrase.

No. I said, "Jeremy Lin sucked in Charlotte."

If you are going to quote me and put words in my mouth then at least use the right ones.

More gibberish and catchphrases... "combo guards"... "position-less"

Meanwhile Coach Nick says, "Without a question Atkinson's offense would provide the kind of pace and space to allow Lin to thrive."

So yeah there you have it. Atkinson tailored the offense to suit Lin.

I'll take the word of a knowledgeable youtube basketball coach who actual knows what he's saying over some random dude on the internet who claims to be a Nets fan, but is always on a Rockets board exclusively posting in Jeremy Lin threads.

We have beat this horse to death on this board.

I've even conceded that Lin has athletic talent and shows flashes of brilliance at times, but every time he's been on a playoff roster, he's been so bad.

Yes, Lin was at times "productive" on the Rockets, but then he also made one of the worst low basketball IQ blunders in playoff history costing his team the series.

That's how players are judged in the NBA -- in the playoffs when the moment is big and everything is on the line. Not by being "productive" for a 20-win Hawks or Nets team.

That's where you think "productive" is meaningful, but I disagree and so does the rest of the NBA who hasn't offered Lin another job.

Severe Rockets Fan and Zboy like this.
  10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

You're absolutely right.

I got suckered into this debate with what appears to be a LOF troll. I should have known better. I always stay away from Jeremy Lin threads on this board for this very reason. It's a quarantine zone best left to @tinman and @Zboy to regulate.

When I saw this thread, I just thought Coach Nick made a detailed and lengthy video worth serious discussion. My first post in this thread was an attempt to provide some serious commentary on what's actually going on and why teams have moved on from Lin.

However, this a moldy laundry situation and now I must wash my hands of it.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Time to head back to GARM and discuss Harden's man boobs at length. :D

Zboy, Invisible Fan and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  11. Pizza_Da_Hut

I think the issue here, is those campaigning for Lin are cherry picking the argument. If Lin was 25 years old and the last 5 years of his career are what we saw, teams would be insane not to sign him. Even with the injuries, even with the questions of fit, the guy would get PAID by someone. He isn't 25. He's 30 and that's not a small age difference. It's big.

Again, come trade deadline teams may be more likely to move and try something, but I don't blame any GM for thinking "hey, he's not the right guy for now".

ghettocheeze likes this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

LOL both with heavy emphasis on 2.

The entire purpose of him visiting this forum has been to religiously defend his failed and disgraced hero.

ghettocheeze and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  13. Pizza_Da_Hut

I don't know him, I don't follow him, and I just sort of shot in the dark based on how vigilant he's been in this thread alone to defend a 30 year old PG who can't shoot the rock consistently enough.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

ghettocheeze likes this.
  15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ha! You have no idea! Just look at his post history over the years.

Imagine living vicariously off a journeyman that is getting bounced around the league AND then visiting team forums that he is not even playing for...just to monitor what everyone is saying about him and then religiously defend him.

And then trying to cover it up by pretending to be a Nets fan. HA!

That is truly sad.

We have seen some of the worst of Lin and we have also seen how costly his blunders were. There is a reason Morey had to unload assets to get rid of him. We dont need to be "educated" about him, especially not by a LOF lol.

#55 Zboy, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    yoeddy, ghettocheeze and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  16. Acura

Acura Member

It’s funny he plays the victim now but it wasn’t too long ago he was an overpaid player and had to be given away with a pick just to be traded.

tinman likes this.
  17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Nurse would have played Lin when Van Vleet was struggling early in the playoffs if Lin wasnt such a disaster.

But Nurse knew how damaging Lin's play can be.

A struggling Van is better than the calamity Lin can bring about.

Think of it this way...Do you think Nurse would keep Pat Bev glued to the bench if he saw Van struggle?

tinman and ghettocheeze like this.
  18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Not just now. He has always played the victim. Just watch his interviews over the years.

If he cared about his game and worked on it as much as he cares about what his lunatic fanbase thinks about him, maybe he wouldnt be crying today.

tinman likes this.
  19. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Nurse's bigs can guard every position. leonard can guard everything and so can siakom/powell/ibaka. Nurse tactically does not see a reason to play small with lin. Even lowry is built like a line backer at 6'2 and 210 pounds.

20. Acura

Acura Member

Ah yes my apologies he did victimize himself while he was overpaid as well