1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What? Michael Moore Wants Michelle Obama to Beat Trump?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Aug 7, 2019.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would definitely vote for her over Trump. She's highly educated and has a calm demeanor. Not the worst choice for president. People are rightfully tired of political family dynasties though so she probably shouldn't run.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Would love her but it’s too late in the primary season and would be good if she got some governing experience first. She’s still really young and has good potential if she wants it but the issue is I don’t think she has any interest.

DaDakota likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who cares.

So ****ing what if he correctly predicted Trump's victory.

He also made tons of terrible wrong awful predictions that you didn't hear about.

Cognitive bias. It's a thing.

biff17 and DaDakota like this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I would vote for my next door neighbor over the current mistake.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought she should have run last time.

DD

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand why he would say that.

1. She is way more popular than Trump
    2. It is a play from Trump's own playbook. She has name recognition and isn't a politician. So she doesn't have the politician baggage.
    3. Her media exposure has been almost entirely positive her entire time in the public eye.
    4. She hasn't said or done racist things.
    5. She is compassionate.
    6. Her politics aren't known but it is reasonable to assume she's fairly centrist to left leaning.

These things make it likely that she would easily win.

That being said, I don't believe that she wants to run. She would take the job seriously and study policy to educate herself. Because she takes it seriously and would be serious about learning policy, she would probably be unsure and come off as nervous for at least the first few public appearances and interviews with journalists that will grill her on her lack of experience.

I don't think it is a good trend to find people who haven't been interested enough in governing to actually governing before applying for the top position in government. She would not be my first choice, nor do I have any interest in trying to persuade her to run. If she did run she could easily beat Trump and if I was in a battleground state I would vote for her over Trump.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Can't wait to see her bare-armed inauguration speech...

[​IMG]

9. Major

Major Member

Michelle Obama is the one and only Democrat that would unite all factions of the Dem party. Obama legacy. Minority. Woman. Absolutely beloved by every part of the party. If she joined the race - and to be clear, she won't - she'd be the immediate frontrunner, and I have no doubt she'd wipe the floor with Trump. For the vast majority of people, this is not a policy election, and whatever her policy issues are won't matter any more than Biden's do. People want a fighter and someone they can be proud/excited about and she fits that perfectly.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know if i agree but there is a popularity facror that is important that she crushes the current field on.

As much as people viewed her as an angry black woman early on, she has totally eradicated that image. It says something about her political skill.
    Its not like she hasn't taken political positions. She has shown she can survive scrutiny.

The only problem is she hasn't held any elected position.

Major likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Also how much can people stomach another political family dynasty? I wouldn't have any problem if she was president personally.

12. Major

Major Member

I think this is one of those overblown things because of our recent choices of dynasties.. I think political dynasties are beloved when the people are beloved. They are hated when the people are hated. People didn't like GW Bush or Hillary Clinton, so they complained about the Bush and Clinton dynasties. No one seemed to mind Kennedys, though. Or at state levels, you often see father/son dynasties. If Barack Obama was able to run, he'd wipe the floor with everyone too, and no one would care that he'd already done 8 years - because the Obama name is still golden.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. glynch

Well, Obama was certainly no fighter, so I really would wonder if Michelle would be. You would think she might have prodded him a bit more if she is such a fighter. Michelle did espouse uncontroversial projects such as children should eat healthier and exercise and she did not do the Hillary thing of being an uppity woman espousing policy in the White House. She was overall more like Laura Bush who advocated children to do more reading, but Michelle definitely wins points for style.

The Harvard Law degree would indicate possible potential to be more than a popular celebrity, which she has largely played for the last 11 years. However, at least after Obama's treatment I doubt she would waste about 6 years thinking that if she was just polite enough she could charm the Repugs into some compromises to improve things.

With respect to healthcare she could advocate some tweaks to the lousy bronze ACA policies (better than no insurance) and some more work study for students, but only for junior college.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would certainly vote for Mrs Obama. She just might turn out to be a better president than her husband. I don't see her running for the office, though.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) I don't think she had that lifelong goal of being president like Hilary
    2) She saw how little her husband could do as president once he lost control of Congress
    3) She can make way more money out of office
    4) Running for office is awful

No reason for her to run. I think being president now is 80% just blocking the OTHER party from having the office. There's a chance you'll get a small period of unified government and have a few months to get something done before it's back to playing defense and praying that the other side doesn't get unified government when you are out of office.

16. glynch

Yeah, if you play the game the way the Clintons and the Obama Dems did. You create no movement and assure that in the first midterm, the gerrymandered House of Reps and the small state population Senate make the Dem president somewhat powerless.The Dem President than only accomplish GOP light policies such as "ending welfare as we know it", Mass incarceration or disastrous deregulation of Wall Street and the media (Clinton) or fight for GOP light policies such as Romney Care Obama's main legacy.