1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Duke Johnson via trade for undisclosed 2020 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NewRoxFan, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Texanstradamus

Lmao what

2. Texanstradamus

A miller and duke duo is much better than miller and Undrafted back up now u just need the 3rd back and duke is also more proven than foreman

UTSA2step likes this.
  3. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Good trade if you're convinced Lamar Miller is a productive primary back and were looking for something to supplement him by committee. If you believe Lamar Miller needs to be replaced with a better #1, then this trade feels like a band-aid on a stab wound, might be a good temporary solution, but eventually you're going to have to head to the hospital for some stitches. As others have stated, if Duke Johnson was so fabulous, why did they sign Carlos Hyde in free agency last year while drafting Chubb with a high draft pick? Why did they grab Kareem Hunt this year? Hate to say it folks, but we're living in times when Cleveland seems to be going for it while this franchise continues to dumpster dive for bargains. Win at all costs isn't what's going on here.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not disagreeing that's it an overpay or disagreeing with your other point about addressing RB sooner than this. Just pointing out that Trent Williams isn't demanding a new deal. He basically thinks the Redskins medical staff is corrupt and will risk his life.

The Duke deal probably is an overpay. The Texans are stupid for not addressing their needs when they had $40M in cap space and no viable backup RBs. I won't defend this organization on anything.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I should probably read up on the Williams situation... but as I saw very very little chance he ends up on the Texans, I didn't really care.

What is his beef? Is there an article that explains it better?

6. aristophanes34

If true, he must be one tough SOB since he has never missed a game... Can't say the same for Gordon. Apparently he has had 'hamstring' issues in the past during camp, but he has always 'recovered' for the season. This year, there is certainly reason to doubt whether his sore hammy is legit.

Meant to be a reply to the 'injury prone' post...

7. justtxyank

Basically he had a medical condition that the Redskins misdiagnosed and tried to get him to play through. He thinks it put him at significant risk after getting a second opinion and he believes the Skins doctors knew it but didn't care as long as he played. He told La Canfora that he has no financial dispute with the Skins but will never play for them again because he doesn't trust their medical staff. Apparently other players there backed him on this.

The exact details of the dispute aren't entirely public but that's a gist of it from his perspective.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Wake me up when they no longer have a lameduck coach that can't call plays to save his life. Don't get caught up people...watch the last 2 elimination games if you need a reminder. Remember the disgust and disappointment you felt when the Texans scored 0 points at home in the playoffs.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Dorsey is an aggressive GM so could be as simple as him wanting to add as many weapons as possible. They signed Hyde in FA last year so maybe the thought was a Hyde/Duke combo. Chubb could’ve been a BPA pick and from a football perspective, signing Hunt was a no brainer for them. Should also note that they traded Hyde after week 7.

Honestly if Gaine had made this deal pre-draft, think most of us would be okay with it. I’ve grown to dislike BoB as the next guy but this is a good deal to me. Get immediate help in the backfield, having potentially three 3rd round picks in 2019 isn’t all that enticing. And I love having draft picks.

Sooty likes this.
  10. justtxyank

Duke Johnson isn't a full time RB either, needs to be kept in mind. Cleveland wanted a feature back and he likely can't be that.

Nook likes this.
  11. justtxyank

He may not be able to call plays but unfortunately he's not a lameduck.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Nook

Nook Member

Well I will give the Texans credit for doing something.

This was an overpay and probably by two rounds.

I have zero faith BOB will use him right.

I don’t think he is injured but we now know he will fake injuries to sit out.

Pretty much a spinning their wheels move.

Acura likes this.
  14. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm onto the Texans plans now. As it stands, since they won't be able to sign Caserio until after the 2020 draft, they're just going to trade away their picks for players under contract or future picks. Brilliant!

15. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I agree with this. This seems like a high price tag based on recent precedent but has anybody else thought mid to late-round draft picks have recently gotten overvalued? It may just be that the players involved in these types of trades have less value than I thought, but it seems like the Texans would be pretty thrilled if they got a Duke Johnson talent in the fourth round of previous drafts.

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm excited about Duke from a fit perspective... without an offensive line, I thought the Texans have desperately needed a pass-catching threat out of the backfield for Deshaun to flip it to. Lamar Miller for whatever reason has been a sub-par receiver since he's been here.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Acura

Acura Member

BOB seems to have an infinite amount of power within the Texans organization and has literally done nothing to continue to earn a longer leash.

Gray_Jay and Nook like this.
  19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can he play special teams? Just kidding.

I think a 4th/3rd potential is a little steep but you at least you are getting a guy who is a proven pass catching/backup RB, which is a huge need. You also get a guy on a reasonable contract with upside potential for the next 3 years. Should be interesting to see him on the field with all the other weapons.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

First I loved the trade, then I hated the trade, then I loved it, then hated it, then was okay with it.

Let me explain:
    I loved the Texans finally got a capable RB to backup Lamar Miller.
    Then I hated remembering they dug themselves into a situation where they had to trade for a RB
    Then I loved they only spent a 4th round pick
    Hated it will probably be a 3rd
    Then I loved remembering I really wanted them to spend a 2019 third round pick on Damien Harris so maybe a 3rd round pick isn't too much

All in one day

sigh.

I still would prefer Damien Harris but Duke is more of a proven commodity than Harris.

It feels like the Texans get us so upset that we start lowering expectations and get really excited when they do something most NFL teams should do anyway. They should have just drafted a RB when we all thought they needed a RB.

#200 Nimo, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019