1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Kuzma's delusions of grandeur

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Kuzma: I'm 'capable' of being Lakers' third star
    By Ohm Youngmisuk
    ESPN

LAS VEGAS -- Kyle Kuzma was fast asleep in a Shanghai hotel when his manager woke him up in the middle of the night to tell him the Los Angeles Lakers had traded for Anthony Davis.

In a blockbuster trade, Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram and Josh Hart -- once considered the future of the Lakers -- were dealt to New Orleans for the Pelicans' All-Star big man in June.

Kuzma, now the final young Laker standing from the core group Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka assembled, says he's ready to become that third star LeBron James and Davis will need after free-agent target Kawhi Leonard opted to join the LA Clippers in free agency.

"I don't feel no pressure, but I believe that I am capable of being that superstar," Kuzma told ESPN. "I put in a lot of work in. My progress through my journey shows that I can be there. I developed every single year, dating back to college, and I don't see that development stunting at all."

Kuzma added, "Last year I didn't shoot the ball well, and I still averaged almost 20 [points per game]. If I can shoot the ball well and keep developing the facets of my game defensively, I don't see why I can't [be that third star]."

From making it out of the tough environment of Flint, Michigan, to becoming a little-known late-first-round pick out of Utah, Kuzma noted how he has continually beaten the odds and exceeded expectations.

Currently on the USA Basketball training camp roster, the 24-year-old hopes to launch himself into the biggest season of his basketball career by making the U.S. team and playing in next month's FIBA World Cup. It's a big summer for the third-year forward, who averaged 18.7 points and 5.5 rebounds last season. Kuzma, who saw his 3-point shooting dip from 36.6% as a rookie to 30.3% last season, believes he fits in seamlessly alongside James and Davis.

"I've never been a ball-dominant guy," Kuzma said. "I've always played off the ball. It is going to be a little bit easier, going to have a lot of open shots. It is my job to trust my summer workouts and what I've done. Just breathe, focus and knock those shots down, because I'm going to be open."

The Lakers once envisioned Kuzma drilling perimeter shots off passes from Ball and Ingram. That ended in June, with Kuzma learning of the trade from his manager, Vin Sparacio, half a world away while in Shanghai for business.

"It's like 3 a.m., I'm asleep, he ran into my room and damn near threw water on me," Kuzma said. "For those guys, especially speaking of Zo, BI, they are best when they have the ball in their hands. It is kind of tough when we get vets that are ball-dominant guys. So it kind of stunted their growth."

Now, Kuzma sees Ingram and Ball -- the No. 2 overall picks in 2016 and 2017, respectively, by the Lakers -- thriving and being able to play the way they need to in New Orleans alongside Zion Williamson.

"They were excited," Kuzma said of Ingram, Ball and Hart after the trade. "It's a little bit less pressure. They didn't [actually] say that. But obviously being in L.A., there's more pressure. They can be themselves now. They can go to New Orleans and develop into the superstars they were supposed to be."

Shortly after Kuzma learned about the Davis trade, he texted Ingram, Ball and Hart in the group chat they have. It wasn't long ago that all four used to roast one another with jokes about what each was wearing or their appearances.

They've since outgrown the roasting. But they haven't grown apart despite now being on different teams.

"Really, they told all of us," Kuzma said of the Lakers not wanting to part with their former first-round picks. "They didn't want to trade none of us, obviously. We were a great young group of guys that had a lot of promise. Anytime you got three, four young guys as a core in the NBA, you don't want to trade those guys. But you have an opportunity to get a generational talent, stuff is bound to happen."

Kuzma added, "I thought that we made some growth over the two years together. Obviously a lot of people didn't necessarily see it because of injuries -- BI, Zo not really playing a lot of games over the past two years. But when we played together and we were on the court together, good things happened."

USA notes: Marcus Smart did not practice and is out the rest of the week due to a left thigh strain. The Boston Celtics guard will be evaluated next week when Team USA is in Los Angeles. ... Memphis power forward Jaren Jackson Jr., who is on the men's select team, had his right leg looked at toward the end of practice. "I thought I did something but I didn't," Jackson said. "I just had to check it with [the team physician]. It's fine."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27344043/capable-being-lakers-third-star

2. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More like Super Luigi Chalmers

naldodiaz likes this.
  4. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Zo might get most improved player award

Lloyd Estacio and BallSoHarden like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The lesser third star could be Cousins if he can get half of his game back, the fourth 'star' Kuzmer.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This dude sounds like the new Chandler Parsons.

7. Cranberry_Juice

He sounds more entitled than delusional.

Sleeping with the owner does that.

8. ths balla

ths balla Member

Kuzma is really good not sure why the hate, he IS the third star on that team

9. Hardy Toll Road

All I know is that this nibba always lights us up when we play them.

maw7079_2000 likes this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Did I miss something?

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He should be.

If you are a young player in the NBA you should go into it wanting to be a star player. Of course after 3-4 years in the league you realize how unrealistic or realistic that may be, but you have to hope for it to happen in the first place. I hope Clint is thinking the same thing, that he's not just settled into being just another Center but being the best Center in the NBA.

roslolian likes this.
  12. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I still don't understand why pop stars and athletes have such poor grammar. "they obviously didn't want to trade none of us." Technically that's correct, because the Lakers did trade some of them. Clearly though, that wasn't his intent...

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. Ranny

Ranny Member

Welp... if you dont believe in yourself, who will?

PlayBall and BallSoHarden like this.
  14. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Lol exactly, I don't get the hate on this thread. Has no one really kept up with the team? I've lived in LA the past 7 years, and the annoying laker fans have been in hiding, many wearing Warriors gear. This gave me the opportunity to watch the team without bias due to their fanbase or unreasonable Kobe obsessed fans. Kuz and Lonzo are good. BI needed a better coach and development. All three still have the potential to be stars. DLo left, blossomed, then signs a max deal. This wasn't a fluke. If Clint Capela is being called our thrid star NOW, then Kuz definitely has the right to say he is "capable" of becoming a star. Any first round pick should be saying this at this age. He didnt say I am the third star.

15. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Weird thread title and initial reactions.

Kuzma can definitely play third banana on a championship team if he continues on his current trajectory, and there’s no signs suggesting he’ll slow down.

Good option that can create matchup problems for the other team.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

InstaChat killin engrish

Elephant810 likes this.
  17. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Because, for the most part, they've focused their time and energy on honing skills other than those gained in a classroom.

18. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

That's true but athletes from other eras came off a lot more polished when they spoke. Kareem, Wilt, MJ, Olajuwon (who isn't even a native english speaker), and many others didn't come off as ignorant. Probably has a lot more to do with the rise of reality tv and rap/hip hop. These two mediums have had a drastic effect on American culture, imho anyway...

19. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Fair point. I don't have an explanation for that.

20. maw7079_2000

maw7079_2000 Member

Don’t be a hater. Kidman is really good and has tremendous upside.