1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What’s the most realistic package for Andre Iguodala? Looking at five teams that may covet the playo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

[​IMG]

(Top photo of Andre Iguodala: Kyle Terada / USA Today)
    By Omari Sankofa II Aug 4, 2019 [​IMG] 27 [​IMG]
    As the offseason winds down, the Grizzlies still have at least one potentially major piece of business to settle: What’s going to happen with Andre Iguodala?

The veteran small forward was acquired in a surprise late-June trade that also netted a protected first-round pick. The Grizzlies want to flip Iguodala for an additional asset, and are reportedly willing to take him into the season to accomplish that. That may be easier said than done. Iguodala’s defense, playmaking and experience would make him a good fit for any contender. But his contract, worth about $17 million next season, and a lack of available assets across the league makes it tricky to find the right package for him.

There’s been a lot of debate over what a realistic package for the Grizzlies would be if they were to trade Iguodala instead of buying him out, which remains a possibility. Every contender in the NBA with an available roster spot would presumably show interest in him if he were to hit the market. I reached out to The Athletic’s beat writers who cover the teams that could make a play for Iguodala before the trade deadline.

Jovan Buha, Los Angeles Clippers
    Sankofa: The Clippers already gave up a lot of assets in the Paul George trade. Does it make sense for them to make another trade for Iguodala, or should they stand pat?

Buha: I don’t think it makes sense. For as good as the addition Andre Iguodala could potentially be, particularly for a contender, the Clippers can’t mortgage any more of their future assets. There is a conversation to be had if it’s simply a one-for-one trade or if the Grizzlies would accept a second-round pick, but the rumor swirling around NBA circles is that Memphis is demanding a first-round pick, among other assets. If Iguodala is bought out, the Clippers will be among the first in line to try to sign him. But I don’t think a trade is realistic. L.A. is already deep on the wings, and I’m not quite sure Iguodala’s a better player than, say, Moe Harkless.

Sankofa: If they’re willing to trade, would they be willing to part with Jerome Robinson? Or is a second-round pick more likely? (I’m assuming they don’t have any available first-rounders to trade).

Buha: They have their 2020 and 2021 first-round picks, though I believe only their 2020 can be traded. I don’t see that happening. As for Jerome Robinson, I know the team is still relatively high on him despite his inconsistent rookie season and summer league play. I think it’s far too early to give up on him. That said, if Kawhi Leonard and/or Paul George are pushing the front office to acquire Iguodala, I could possibly see them moving him. A more realistic trade would probably be Harkless and a second-round pick, but again, I’m not sure the Clippers want to just give up Harkless. I have a feeling this process is going to get dragged out, with Memphis either settling for a lower package than they anticipated or them eventually cutting bait on Iggy.

Kelly Iko, Houston Rockets
    Sankofa: The Rockets already gave up a lot of assets in the Russell Westbrook trade. Does it make sense for them to make another trade for Iguodala, or should they stand pat?

Iko: Andre Iguodala is a prized asset for contenders right now. What’s to say he’d pick Houston over the Lakers or Clippers if he’s bought out by Memphis? If the Rockets want to avoid that kind of mini free agency, they should pull the trigger. Standing pat is a tricky game to play, especially at this time of the year. Last season Daryl Morey said he wants the best version of his team heading into the playoffs — and he got it — but that came at the expense of a slow start which cost them home-court advantage in the second round. Trading for Iguodala gives you the best version of the Rockets now.

Sankofa: If they’re willing to trade, what’s the most likely asset Houston would be able to give Memphis in return?

Iko: If Houston is willing to trade, it has to involve Iman Shumpert. But the asset Memphis is obviously looking for is a first-round pick. They haven’t been able to get a team to cough one up for a 35-year-old wing, which is why Iguodala remains on the roster. Houston already sent two firsts to move Chris Paul’s contract, would they be content sending another? They’ve been hesitant so far. Frankly, I don’t see why they should. I’d argue that Shumpert’s contract and two seconds should get it done if Memphis just wants something in return.

Nick Kosmider, Denver Nuggets
    Sankofa: The Nuggets have had a fairly quiet summer in comparison to the rest of the West. Does it make sense for them to reunite with Iguodala, or should they stand pat?

Kosmider: The Nuggets appear to be heading into the season with an open spot on their roster, which will allow them to pivot toward an in-season move if they feel like there is a deal to be made that can put them over the top as a contender. Though the Nuggets have a glut of players who can man the small forward spot, what they still lack is championship experience. No player on Denver’s roster has been to the NBA Finals. For a team that has designs on such a destination, sooner rather than later, there’s a lot to like about the idea of adding a player who has won three titles — and was named a Finals MVP in the process — since leaving Denver in 2013.

Sankofa: If they’re up for a trade, what’s the best asset they’d likely be willing to give Memphis in return?

Kosmider: The Nuggets have a deep, young roster, and playing time won’t be easy to come by this season. A consolidation trade might make some sense. The Nuggets really like Juancho Hernangomez, the No. 15 overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, but a combination of ill-timed injuries and a crowded roster has limited his impact through the first three seasons of his career. A floor-spacer like Hernangomez might be perfect complement to the Ja Morant-Jaren Jackson duo upon which Memphis is constructing its rebuild. All of that said, Denver may prefer to see what happens with Iguodala’s situation and pounce if he hits the buyout market.

cerophilik and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Tim Cato, Dallas Mavericks

Sankofa: The Mavericks have been aggressive in remaking their roster this year. Does it make sense for them to make another trade for Iguodala, or should they stand pat?

Cato: Dallas has fundamentally changed its future in the past 18 months, for certain, and the team wants to win now. It feels that Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis, while young, is a duo that can do that. There’s no need to wait. There’s no reason to sit around. The team went into this offseason expecting to sign Kemba Walker, and members in the front office believe the Mavericks would have without Al Horford’s unexpected move to Philadelphia. Likewise, despite striking out, the pursuit of 32-year-old Danny Green showed how the team was interested in adding quality veterans to jumpstart the team from rebuilding to winning.

Given that, it’s clear that the Mavericks absolutely have interest in Iguodala for the right price. The position they are weakest at is the 3; excluding Doncic, who will have the ball in his hands most of the time when he’s on the court, the wings are made up of Tim Hardaway Jr., Justin Jackson, and Dorian Finney-Smith. Adding Iguodala would certainly help.

Sankofa: If they’re willing to trade, what’s the best asset they’d likely be able to offer Memphis in return?

Cato: And here’s the problem: Dallas might have interest, but it has little to offer. Jalen Brunson might be movable in the right deal, but this certainly isn’t the one. Perhaps Dallas could flip Jackson or Finney-Smith, intriguing young(ish) players, but the coaching staff loves them both. You don’t become deeper at wing by trading one. Dallas has Courtney Lee’s expiring contract, but Iguodala comes off the book next summer, too, so that’s a no-go. And all the team’s first-round picks are accounted for due to the Porzingis trade, unless Memphis wants the 2025 Dallas first-rounder. Hmm. That, most likely, is the best single asset Dallas would consider.

Now, perhaps we get a funky three-team trade, where Lee’s contract gives some team salary relief, Iguodala heads to Dallas, and that third team deals something that Memphis values. Otherwise, I don’t see Iguodala ending up with the Mavericks as too likely.

Jabari Young, San Antonio Spurs

Sankofa: Does it make sense for the Spurs to make a play for Andre Iguodala, or should they stand pat?

Young: As of now, the only positive that could surface from the Marcus Morris deal with the Spurs that collapsed is the fact the team saved a bit of money from their $9.2 million mid-level exception. If Morris was a Spur, he’d take up all the money but since he took a deal with the New York Knicks and the Spurs used some of the funds to sign Trey Lyles, they’ll have roughly $3 million remaining that can be used for the buyout market.

If he’s still in play, no reason to think the Spurs wouldn’t be interested in Andre Iguodala if there is a need and if the Lyles signing hasn’t been as productive as the Spurs would like in the middle of Year 1.
    Iguodala fits their style of play. He’s not what he used to be on the defensive end, but still has the smarts on that end of the court to make an impact. One can almost label him the veteran who only needs about 12-15 minutes in the regular season and can serve as another 3-and-D player on the roster.

And if you recall, the Spurs did target Iguodala before he re-signed with the Golden State Warriors in the summer of 2017; hence, no reason to believe there still wouldn’t be some interest in his services despite a full roster.

Sankofa: What’s the best asset the Spurs would realistically be willing to trade?

Young: Trade? Probably no one. They will not take his salary and they have money to offer in case he’s free via a buyout.

https://theathletic.com/1114813/201...at-five-teams-that-may-covet-the-playoff-vet/