1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets, Mavs interested in Andre Iguodala trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 4, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Windhorst: "Right now the reason Andre Iguodala is still on the Grizzlies is because the Grizzlies are like "If you want out of this contract, you're gonna buy your way out and not for $2M where you can get elsewhere. We want you to take a big cut." That's not going amicably at least right now."

D-rock, Deuce, luckyman76 and 4 others like this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Good for Memphis.

I’m sure the media will freak out about “player empowerment” though

Acura likes this.
  3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Translation: Assuming Iggy has at least some interest in Houston, the $5.5-million NT-MLE (what's left of it) would be a pretty significant carrot for Memphis.

Your move, Tilman...

D-rock, Deuce, RichieBanks and 2 others like this.
  4. biff17

biff17 Member

sounds like they want him to take a more substantial buyout than 5 million.

amaru likes this.
  5. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

You think Iggy picks Houston over LA?

amaru likes this.
  6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

We can even though in a second year option to Iggy at that number to make it more attractive to him to pick us instead of the Clips.

The Cat likes this.
  7. The Cat

If money is equal, I dunno.

But the issue is that it sounds like Memphis isn't willing to buy him out unless he gives back a decent bit of money -- i.e. they're not going to pay him $15 million to play for another team. There's a reason Windhorst said "not for $2M," and it's because that's more or less the minimum offer that he'd get from the Clippers, Lakers, or most teams at the moment. So it's basically a stalemate unless Memphis backs down or Iggy is willing to give back a decent bit of money that's already owed to him.

If the Rockets offer $5.5M, though... while I don't know if $11.5M is exactly what Memphis is willing to pay, it's probably a much more manageable figure to negotiate from. My guess is that even if Houston isn't No. 1 on Iguodala's list... he'd probably take it as a happy compromise if it gets him out of Memphis.

IMO, in some ways it's a similar dynamic to the Knicks, Rockets, and Thunder in 2017 with Carmelo Anthony, but with Houston now in the position that OKC was then. Melo wanted Houston first and foremost, but there wasn't a realistic financial path for it to happen. So OKC emerged by training camp as a compromise that he was fine with.

All of this is contingent, though, on Morey/Tilman being willing to spend the NT-MLE and go into the tax. We'll see...

#347 The Cat, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Deuce, RichieBanks, Nook and 2 others like this.
  8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Tough for me to see Tillman going in the luxury tax just for Andrd Iguodala. Not saying it's a bad business move but i hope he considers it.

9. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

@Clutch thinks the Rockets would go over the tax if it was for Andre Iguodala

D-rock, Richie_Rich, joshuaao and 6 others like this.
  10. amaru

amaru Member

I doubt Iggy picks Houston over either of the LA teams.

Acura likes this.
  11. The Cat

The question is whether Iggy would give back a lot of money right now, or potentially play over half the season in Memphis and risk getting traded somewhere else at the deadline, to make that happen.

He might ultimately cave and do it, but I suspect that if he was currently willing to, a buyout would be done already.

D-rock, Acura, Mazulis and 2 others like this.
  12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I’m not that high on him at his age, but I don’t want to see any other contender get him either. I am dying for us to upgrade at the 4. Doesn’t appear it’s ever going to happen though

MrSabotage likes this.
  13. Hardy Toll Road

[​IMG]
    :p

J Sizzle and RustyHarden like this.
  14. Acura

Acura Member

Would be nice

#354 Acura, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

What bothers me is even if EVERYTHING goes our way in this situation, we are willing to go over the tax, he gets bought out and he signs with us, WHERE ARE OUR POWER FORWARDS?!?!?!?

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The fate of our 4 spot rests on the shoulders of a homeless leg-kicking nba washout?

D-rock, MrSabotage and Acura like this.
  17. Acura

Acura Member

Very concerning. Also, let’s say iggy comes here and I love Westbrook but he is not a shooter. Can we in a Mike dantoni offense really play iggy/Westbrook/Capela at the same time? I mean of course we can stagger the minutes but we really need a shooter. I guess you add the best available talent and worry about the rest later I’m just saying though.

MrSabotage and JW86 like this.
  18. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Iggy's got his rings. This is his last paycheck so I don't believe he is going to be willing to dump it.

19. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

If Iggy gets bought out hes going to the Lakers. Listening to him on a podcast the other week he has great relationship with Rob Pelinka(his ex agent).
    In saying that id love it if he chose Houston, still a very good perimeter defender.

JuNx likes this.
  20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I am...tucker iggy Austin..those are alot of intangible guys. U need those to win..the more the better.

Name the 5 best pfs?

To me that's like having a great rb, nice if you have it but I would rather have a top flight wr or de