1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 25 Most Rewatchable Movies Of All Time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Jun 6, 2016.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Gtfo if you didn't mention Jaws and the sandlot.

don grahamleone and gatsby like this.
  2. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Superbad
    Karate Kid

3. body slam

body slam Member

Smokey and the Bandit
    Beverly Hills Cop
    Back to the Future trilogy
    Ghost Busters
    The Cowboys

it's 50 foot long and 12 foot wide

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i could watch the big lebowski over and over again

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I disagree with a lot on the list. I know some are considered classics, but I will never watch Sound of Music again probably will never watch The Wizard of OZ again either. LOR series? Return of the King is fun visually but to me it's mediocre at best and had like 5 endings that took an hour and a half too long. I've only seen Shawshank Redemption once. Nemo isn't the best from Pixar although they have a lot of greats. I haven't had any interest in re-watching the Titanic since I seen it when I rented it From Blockbuster when it was released on video. Pretty Woman meh, Harry Potter meh. Anyway just one man's opinion.

Some that I didn't see mentioned
    Young Guns
    Full Metal jacket
    Crimson Tide
    Clear and Present Danger
    The Usual Suspects
    Fight Club
    Interstellar

don grahamleone and FLASH21 like this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

You should watch the original Sandlot, which was called Stand by me.

CometsWin and don grahamleone like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Point Break
    Smokey and the Bandit
    Full Metal Jacket
    Dazed and Confused
    The Thing
    Caddyshack
    Vacation
    Dr Strangelove
    Pulp Fiction
    Sicario
    Tombstone
    True Romance
    Holy Grail
    Goodfellas
    Beastmaster
    Shawshank
    Young Guns
    Bull Durham
    The Philadelphia Story
    Fury Road
    Aliens
    Big Lebowski
    The Wild Bunch
    Blazing Saddles
    Godfather I/II
    Hunt for Red October
    Big Trouble in Little China

#147 Buck Turgidson, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

There are very few movies I can watch over and over any more. I can't even think of one right now that I could start and not get bored within the first couple of scenes.

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

My mom was a bar hopping, country music dancing, wild woman. I was 10-11 in 80-81 and she use to take me to Gilly's all the time. Kids/families were welcome until 9pm. I rode the bull many times. Most kids were gone after 9 but my mom, not wanting to go home yet, would make me go sit in the truck until she was ready (usually closing time).

Thats right she left an 11 year old kid in the truck in the parking lot of the worlds largest honkey tonk for hours on end on many a Friday and Saturday Evening. I saw some WILD shite in that parking lot. Fights, sex, more fights. Great memories.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Very close to my list but I'd have to add
    Blues Brothers
    Raising Arizona
    Outlaw Josie Wales

Edit to add
    Stripes

Buck Turgidson and Colt45 like this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

My dad and your mom should have gone bowling together.

Colt45 and VooDooPope like this.
  12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Shawshank and Sicario more recently should have made the list.

Separately, The Avengers (2012) is terrible from a rewatchability standpoint. Hasn't aged well at all in less than a decade.

13. Buck Turgidson

Oh yeah, all good calls. 25 movies is not enough.

I went to G's Icehouse (Sherwood Cryer's place, the guy who ran Gilley's) in Pasadena the night Miami played Ohio State for the national championship, whatever year that was. David Allan Coe was playing. It was everything I thought it would be, we all had a blast, and I never went back. I mean, there's white trash and then there's white TRASH.

VooDooPope likes this.
  14. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Came back in to suggest OJW..."Dyin' ain't much of a livin, boy."

Also "The Unforgiven"..."It's a hell of a thing killin' a man...you take away all he's got...and everything he's ever gonna have."

CCity Zero and VooDooPope like this.
  15. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I love almost every film on your list, except for Young Guns. Great cast, but couldn't love it. Not a re-watcher for me.

Big Trouble in Little China?
    It's simply hilarious. Hilarious and very well made, with great special effects for when it was made, and has terrific performances by Kim Cattrell, Kurt Russell, and Dennis Dun, great as Kurt's Chinese-American friend. I wonder whatever happened to Mr Dun? It's also exciting as hell and undoubtedly not PC. One of Carpenter's best, in my opinion, and very unlike most of his work.

I love Year of the Dragon and Mickey Rourke, back when he looked like he was going to be a huge star and before he sort of went crazy. Kind of obscure, but I'll watch it whenever I see it's coming on and uncut.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

You're crazy! Dirty Steve alone is worth the rewatch...and the spirit world, and the size of that chicken? Crazy talk, I say.

Why aren't they shooting at us? We're in the spirit world, *******, they can't see us.

FranchiseBlade, K mf G and Deckard like this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, you got me. I forgot about that part. What a trip! Worth the price of admission. My own experience with peyote was a little different, though. Of course, firearms weren’t involved. ;-) I really didn't care for it. Not so much the psychedelic part as the throwing up. That aspect of the scene, when one of them upchucks, was very accurate. It just happens all of a sudden and you’re like, “What was that? Where did that come from!” Then you move on. I’ve always had an iron clad stomach and I couldn’t get past that.

I read The Teachings of Don Juan in 1968 and had already had experience with pyslicibin mushrooms (when Addicks was still rural, you could go out to one of the pastures there and if conditions were right, pick enough to fill half a kitchen garbage bag - great for a weekend trip by about 15 of us to Paleface Park), and while I’d certainly heard of peyote, the book (novel?) inspired me to try it. I much preferred mushrooms, as it turned out. Weird how you have me remembering that. I’m several decades past those days!

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't think it would rank as one of the "25 most rewatchable" flicks, but if there's anyone out there who doesn't know how the Soviet Union lost their War in Afghanistan, and how that country was then "lost" by us, I highly recommend Charlie Wilson's War. Tom Hanks, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Julia Roberts, and Amy Adams star, with a young Emily Blunt in a small and very hot role. It's directed by Mike Nichols and produced by Hanks. Charlie Wilson was a congressman from East Texas few had heard of, a man who liked both whiskey and women, and it's the story how he managed, almost entirely on his own, to bring about the defeat of the Soviet military that was busy taking over Afghanistan and slaughtering its people during the Cold War.

Wilson was later given the CIA's highest honor for the accomplishment in secret, an accomplishment hardly anyone was aware of until many years later. The movie is both funny and disturbing, and there are lessons in it that we didn't learn then and apparently have yet to learn. Watch it, and see if you can figure them out. I've seen Charlie Wilson's War 3 or 4 times, it being one of those films I'll watch when I'm channel surfing and there it is. Staring me in the face. Great performances by all the actors involved, especially Hanks and Hoffman.

Almost forgot. Forty years before directing Charlie Wilson's War, Mike Nichols directed one of the greatest American films ever made, and certainly one of the most rewatchable, The Graduate. I remember sitting in the theatre when it came out and being blown away. In 1967, it won Mike Nichols the Academy Award for Best Director, Dustin Hoffman the Oscar for Best Actor, Ann Bancroft for Best Actress, and the Academy Award for Best Picture. It also had a soundtrack by Simon and Garfunkel that fit the film perfectly.

Hello darkness, my old friend...

#159 Deckard, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Well, damn. It isn't on DVD.com or popcorn time...