1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Texas Justice] Galveston officers on horseback led a black suspect through the streets by rope.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Aug 6, 2019.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I hate to ask for details, being overly curious, I suspect.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I won’t call it racist because I don’t know the views of the men involved. But **** that is some laughably poor judgement.

3. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Is this at Old Town Road?

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

It’s a very bad look - I’m flabbergasted and I condemn this to the highest degree as a conservative this is against my values

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Cops aren't supposed to be soldiers. Their main skill should be conflict de-escalation.

#45 fchowd0311, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah....you're not getting my not-so-subtle jab at how the US Government has been subsidizing militarizing local cops since 9/11.

7. biff17

biff17 Member

So 1 person stays with the horse and another takes the purp.

This is not hard.

Why are you trying so hard to be contrarian?

Deckard and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. adoo

adoo Member

this is disgusting,
    Disgusting episodes like this are not limited to the South; according to this PBS documentary, ,
    this happened in NYC

towards the end of the Financial Crisis ~ 2008/2009,
    A local chinese-owned community bank, Abacus, was accused of fraud by the NYC District Attorney,
    who had arranged to have the NYPD to

• handcuff several bank employees at work, chained together, and
    • parade them in front of local TV stations' camera crew, who had been alerted of this arrest.
    A jury trial later found the bank and the bank employees not guilty; the DA refused to apologize.

background

the bank had fired one of its loan officers for fraud / $ laundering and turned him to the local DA for prosecution

during the investigation, this loan officer provided false info to the DA, accusing the bank of doing the fraud;
    the DA proceeded to use him as the key witness against the bank.

during the financial crisis, no wall street firms nor NYC-based financial conglomerates were prosecuted.
    Abacus, the 2,952 largest bank in the US, was the only financial institution prosecuted.

#48 adoo, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . and only 183 miles from Jasper, Tx.

Rocket River

JuanValdez likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

My father in law is a retired cop... He says without hesitation that about 10% of the people he worked with were incompetent... He also says "we get what we pay for".

Given what I know about the standards and compensation for the police, I tend to agree with him.

Police and teachers should be two extremely well paid professions that are highly trained and respected in the community.

11. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

[​IMG]

To people who say this an over action. Take a look at this picture and tell me it is an overaction. People need to read up on history.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I have dealings with various officers and detectives in court and the vast majority of them are competent. That does not mean that there not exceptions but that is the case with most professions.

Also officer pay varies widely. In some counties they make over six figures with insurance and pension or a solid 401K.

I have found the biggest contrast in FBI agents. The vast majority of them are quite bright and hard working but I have dealt with some that should be working mall security.

The most crook in my experience are ICE, which are well paid with excellent overtime and virtually no accountability or oversight.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah... no.

Just stop disrespecting ET.

King1 and Astrodome like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Yes and 5,266 miles from the former Nazi Germany.

So what.

King1 and Astrodome like this.
  15. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

People are disrespecting ET by down playing stuff like this as an overreaction.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Seriously? Wow.

amaru likes this.
  17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I've heard through the cop grapevine that the Police Union is furious at the Galveston Police Chief. The officers did exactly what they were trained to do using best practices and the Chief threw them under the bus due to Social Media pressure.

If the practice is wrong, or not the safest, or has poor optics...change the training and the practice.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Emmitt Till was abducted, beaten to death, shot, maimed, probably lit on fire, and thrown in a river for falsely being accused of whistling at a White Woman.

This guy was perp walked a city block by a mounted officer for trespassing.

Don't disgrace the memory of Till or the significance of what happened to him by comparing these two situations.

AroundTheWorld, Nook and King1 like this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Not surprised to hear this.

Poor optics doesn't seem like a good reason to change a practice.

Public safety should be concern #1 for everyone.

20. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

But it is part of the history that African Americans had to go through. It is why things like this is not an overreaction.