1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Currently 73-40, looking at upcoming schedule

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nero, Aug 4, 2019.

1. jsingles

jsingles Member

I commented about a week ago that 110 wins is a stark possibility.

37-12 over the last 49 games (so, so many more games to play. But this is what I like about the MLB season, how many games they play) doesn't seem much of a stretch given our starting pitching the last 3 weeks. Even so, this team will again set a franchise record for wins and will win 107 minimum.

2. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I just want however many win totals to get home field advantage throughout the playoff.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am finding it a unfamiliar feeling to have a team actually favored to win it all. Has that sunk in for the rest of you? Has that happened before in Houston? No, not counting hockey, womens basketball or alternate football leagues. Well?

I am so used to being the underdog that comments expecting us to win it all seem like wishful thinking. Well that is what that kind of talk has always meant in the past. Is this the year that changes?

jsingles likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros will lose more games than a lot are expecting.

They are going to be setting every thing up for the post season. We will likely see starters not go as long for a period or time and we will see guys getting rest. We have already lost some games when Hinch went to different guys in the pen to figure out who he can count on....... those are games we would have won if it was a must win scenario.

My guess is 103-108 wins..... there is also going to be a series or two where we just don't show up, happens to every single team.

There is a reason that in 100+ years of baseball no one has won 120-130 games.... the season is long, depth matters and anyone can win on any given day.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  5. Nero

Nero Member

I would probably agree with this if they were not going to be in such a tight race for home field throughout the postseason with the Dodgers and Yankees. They will all be pushing each other hard all the way until the end. It might take 110+ to win home field.

jim1961 likes this.
  6. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And the Yankees are so banged up right now but they keep winning.

7. htownballa1622

Safe bet 105.

I do want to have the opportunity to have home field advantage throughout though so hopefully closer to 110.

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, probably. And we did lose what- 7 in a row earlier. A week long fund where you go 2-5 or even just 3-4 obviously takes 110 wins off the table (narrator- it's already off the table) and makes 104 for the franchise record a slog. And it seems like we'd have at least one more week or 10 day span of bad baseball in us from now to the end of the season.

It's also possible, however, that we stay healthy and have enough guys mashing with solid pitching every turn through the rotation that this never happens, and we keep busting out 2 out of every 3 and cruise to like 106 or 108 wins- which would be the upper limit of your supposition, as well as reasonable. 110 wins, at this point in time, seems entirely unreasonable. That doesn't mean it's not possible or achieveable, but I'd certainly be pounding the under if someone set the line at 109.5 and pretty surprised to see the over.

9. jsingles

jsingles Member

It's a strange feeling. It must be how people in NY, Boston, San Fran, LA feel like given their respective league teams. It feels good though, feels real good.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Reminder that the Comets won 77% of their games for the first 6 seasons. They were favored in almost every year. And won 4 championships. I've been there before. And I liked it. Go Astros!

11. Buck Turgidson

3-4-4 is all I care about