1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[NBA.com] Harden on All-Decade Team 1st Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Aug 5, 2019.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would put CP3 ahead of Leonard. People put way, way too much focus on Titles in the NBA. He's a superstar, but he hasn't even had half a decade at that level.

Paul was one of the 5 (or close to it) most valuable players every season until last year. It's not his fault he was surrounded by chokers in LA.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Solid point - weird for him to make the all decade team when he was missed an entire season in that span, played more than 65 games exactly twice, started 380 games in 7 seasons, and was the best player on his team exactly 3 times over that decade. He is certainly a great player but franchise star/foundational type of player is a relatively recent thing - we suspected it in San Antonio but really the last year is the only time he has proven it. If we are just going with recency bias, we mind as well put Giannis on the first team.

Sadboy and vlaurelio like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

People do not realize how good and consistent Chris Paul has been in his career.

He has been a great defender every single season..... he has been extremely efficient...... he can shoot from anywhere on the floor, he has an excellent assist to turnover ratio. He has been the epitome of a franchise player from the first time he stepped on the court.

Finding a dominant, consistent and efficient player that doesn't destroy a locker room for 10-15 seasons is EXTREMELY rare.

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget Gasol. While way past his prime, Gasol was an All-Star just two years ago.

5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Melo should be over him.

6. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

The Rockets and Harden couldn't beat a Durant-less Warriors, Toronto did.

7. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I guess we should just discount the post season period if you put Melo over Kawhi. Melo was a gifted isolation scorer but couldn’t even get his team into the playoffs in a weak East. His defense was nonexistent and never seemed to be interested in winning.

There aren’t any other forwards you can honestly place above Kawhi. I’ll take a 2 time champion and a two way killer over a guy who didn’t care about winning, and was all about stats and money.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

How is Kobe even on there? He didn't do anything past 2010.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Should be Paul/Curry/Harden/Lebron/Durant

I realize win shares aren’t the be all end all but these 5 are clearly out ahead of the pack when you combine both regular season and playoff win shares.

Regular season win shares for the decade
    http://bkref.com/tiny/HtWAa
    Postseason win shares for the decade
    http://bkref.com/tiny/jhDua

Didn’t realize how little Kawhi has done in the regular season this decade until I did the win shares search. Nearly half the win shares of the top few guys.

#49 jordnnnn, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  10. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

I think he’s better than Kobe

DavidRocket likes this.
  11. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Lol the same Warriors team that was without Klay Thompson?

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I was recently watching some highlights from Harden’s final season in OKC...to think years down the line he’d be an MVP and average 36 ppg for a season...what he’s managed to accomplish is insane

13. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

[​IMG]

14. biff17

biff17 Member

He is.

Harden has done more with less.

lockedin34 and DavidRocket like this.
  15. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

That's even funnier than the first post. He's had less, sure, but he's done WAY less.

Seriously, go take a minute and line up Harden's career achievements next to Kobe's. No question Kobe had better teammates, but his resume blows Harden's out of the water.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He missed one game of the Rockets series. You know that.

Wulaw Horn, Reeko, 34to11 and 3 others like this.
  17. biff17

biff17 Member

The only thing better on his resume is championships and that is because he had much better teammates and coaching.

His actual stats do not blow Hardens out of the water.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  18. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

My favorite part of any Harden apologist discussion is how quickly they try to casually dismiss winning as a criterion. It just never gets old.

Say, how many All-Defensive first teams has Harden been on? I'll just wait while you look that up.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Ehhh. I think it’s fairly easy to see that some guys who have won titles are not as good as some guys who haven’t. Even players within the same general tier.

And come on. There may not be a player in history who “earned” more all nba awards based off “potential” and reputation than Kobe rather than actually deserving the award. He had the ability of a lockdown guy, but more often wasn’t.

I’m not going to really get into the argument of who is better, but I truly believe that while Kobe is no doubt one of the best 30 guys to ever play he at the very same time is one of the most overrated in that group. Superb teammates throughout the majority of his career and was handed plenty of awards he had no business getting.

Gray_Jay and biff17 like this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Man I'm kinda embarrassed I made that "third best shooting guard in NBA history" comment now that we're talking about Kobe v. Harden. I actually ranked the guards in this order:

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Clyde Drexler
    3. James Harden

:eek::eek::):eek::eek:

#sarcasm

dreamshakin and vlaurelio like this.