1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. NewRoxFan

3. NewRoxFan

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Word on the street is that McConnell stumbled and broke his shoulder while racing to answer his NRA Hotline.

Deckard, Andre0087 and SamFisher like this.
  5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Hmmmm.....reminds me of a certain thread.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm glad somebody finally pointed this out.

Mental illness gets thrown around as a catch-all, and that's irresponsible.

A person who is emotionally in a bad place or has been stuffed full of bad ideas and misinformation is not "mentally ill".

justtxyank likes this.
  7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

In reading through this thread, the liberals are leading the charge with their complaints, but I see few "solutions" proposed. What are your solutions?

...and why didn't they get enacted when Obama was President, when he had Dem House and Senate control for a period of time?

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Some solutions are proposed on the most recent page when you posted so not sure if you are reading?

As for "Why not Obama!" he did try to pass reform and it got blocked after Sandy Hook.

He chose healthcare as the main issue and then quickly lost control of the Senate and never got it back.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I been thinking about what will happen the next couple of weeks since it's become a cycle after every mass shooting.
    • Revive debate about gun control
    • Democrats blame Republicans and vice versa
    • Dumb people concerned about their guns being taken away entirely.
    • Gun control advocates making claims for stronger background checks, more mental illness funding, etc etc.
    • Thoughts and prayers.
    • Wannabe Christian's coming out with the same tired bullshit rhetoric of god being taken out of school and out of the country by satan.
    • Endless debate leading too nothing.
    • After two weeks, it is all forgotten and we move on to the next one.
    Will anything come out of these two shootings? My guess is no, because nothing ever really happens. Just a bunch of fingerpointing until the topic is forgotten.

For those that strongly support stronger control measures, do you guys truly believe that stronger background checks, closing loopholes, etc etc. will truly help the cause? I use to think that this would work, but the more I think about it, the more I feel that the reality is that the 2nd amendment needs to just be abolished altogether. Also, what good does it really do if only certain state and local governments are doing something about it, while others aren't.

It seems that Chicago has actually attempted to do something, but it is still one of the most violent cities in our country, so what gives? I've always tried to look at the gun issue from a pragmatic point of view, but I think I am tired of the ongoing violence going on in our country. What is the point of this tired debate if all we will get is a couple of loophole closures and stronger background checks? Is this seriously going to fix the issue? I get that we have to compromise in negotiations, but I am just tired of seeing innocent lives being taken.

It sucks that our generation is growing up being afraid of going somewhere just because they may get shot by some lunatic with mental issues or political issues.

Personally, it just seems like a tiresome debate where the proposals that are proposed just don't seem like they will do enough. For those of you that do favor stronger gun control measures, do you really believe it will actually help or are you just afraid to support abolishing the 2nd amendment? I'm genuinely interested what you guys think.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

When Masa calls the house boy beta ansa

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Remember the Obama era gun law that Trump rolled back?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ng-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Obligatory post pumping my preferred candidate's gun policy:

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/gun-safety/

BigM and RayRay10 like this.
  13. justtxyank

Thomas Jefferson: ‘The Tree Of Liberty Must Be Refreshed From Time To Time With The Blood Of Patriots And Tyrants And Kindergarteners And Newlyweds And High-Schoolers And Parents And Teachers And Worshippers And Workers And Occasionally Infants’

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, it has a little to do with 2nd amendment. All we need to do is to elect a good president first, then select other good people to help the country, but this seems to be very difficult.

15. justtxyank

I know it's fun to blame Trump for everything, but electing a good president wouldn't stop this stuff

edwardc likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

17. NewRoxFan

But of course...

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

Blaming 45 for things like this that he has helped create is easy to do .As far electing a good president if there was non electoral college that would be easy thing to do and we could move forward as a Nation.

19. NewRoxFan

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Agreed it's a catch all but sane people don't commit acts like these. The truth is deeper than a black or white issue. 1) US is very large and diverse, 2) US citizens are armed, 3) a lot of people, including "normal" people, are facking "crazy!" I said crazy, NOT mentally ill because I think there is a huge difference.

So it's not just GUNS, it's not just MENTAL HEALTH, it's not just RACISM, etc... it's a little bit of everything imo and it's a horrible perfect storm right now.