1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey Tilman, here's an example of "Whatever It Takes"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't know if that's factual or not …. They said they were "interested in Iggy" then in the same breath said "they were uncomfortable going deep into the tax."

All we know is that Iggy is still in Memphis.

There could be other reasons for that but the cheap factor has to be considered because of past and present actions in ducking the tax.

17 costs them 50ish in tax.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The only way there is a hard cap is if you use the BAE or NT-MLE.

Otherwise they could give out max deals to the entire team , assuming they had bird rights on them.

roslolian likes this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

They definitely would like to avoid the tax. I can’t argue that.

I still think people are being over the top on this matter in this forum. Just like we don’t know if he would do it for Iggy, we don’t know he wouldn’t for other players. The market is super dry right now. There isn’t a known player we know for sure we can get that while putting us over the tax would benefit us in a big way. Some people seem to think we should sign Shumpert anyway just to have that trade asset; but we also don’t know for sure Shumpert will net us something this summer or once he becomes trade eligible during the season. How pissed would you be if it was your team and I convinced you to pay that 50ish in tax and then a trade falls through in the last second of the trade deadline and we don’t end up getting anything for Shumpert. It’s easy for you and I to say “well we had to try” but I probably wouldn’t take that approach if I was the one paying. And that doesn’t even acknowledge the fact that we just entered year 1 of a possible repeater tax that will hurt the team down the road (which also means there are basketball reasons and not just money issues).

I think in the end we just have to be patient. And some posters will not budge right now and insist this owner only cares about money, and they’ll continue to post about this. And thats their right. But one thing I know for sure because of my inside sources, is that if we do end up paying the tax for some mediocre player, and we do disappoint in the playoffs anyway, Tilman won’t come on here and get to defend himself or rag on those posters :)

roslolian likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Does this explain why they spent the most LT dollars the year after they won 73 games and lost by 1 shot in the Finals?

They got lucky with Curry's first contract. That's the only exception. The rest of the time, they spend on risk. They re-sign Iguodala. They re-sign Livingston. When those two decline, they dump them and add other salary.

They invented a membership system to cash in on their success for 10 years. This is called being smart.

If Tilman were the owner of the Warriors when they lost Durant, the Warriors are not sitting in this position. They would be trying to cherry pick people who will eat crumbs from the MLE and minimum exceptions. He would be asking for anything else to be justified, he'd be saying this core did X, Y and Z no matter who was around them and so there's no point spending excessively. He would also be talking publicly about how there's not a better team and OF COURSE he'd be willing to spend if he thought there was a good deal.

You can say all you want that Tilman would do so and so, but every single transaction he could influence has been a cost cutting one, and every rumored possibility of ponying up some dough is a childish story about how some boogeyman thwarted their efforts. It is a bunch of BS, and what makes it more insulting is how poorly he constructs the stories.

The show is over. You can nitpick at things, but there is no denying Tilman is a sleazy salesman who is more interested in profits than most owners.

5. vick

vick Member

They just signed Green to a 4 year 100m contract. He could have got a mac contract next season from someone. Another lucky contract.A max deal would have hard-capped them.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If you want to go on believing a team giving the max extension to a player while the entire NBA landscape questions whether this team is a legit contender like they were pre-KD, I can't stop you.

Facts: they know Russell is a paper tiger. They acquired him. That's called doing whatever it takes. They are going to dupe someone into giving them good pieces for Russell, and laugh their asses off in the process.

All we have to do is replicate this on a microscopic scale and sign Shumpert to a market contract. We won't. He will sit there and act like he's making shrewd decisions when in fact there is a pattern. Tilman has somehow managed to be worse than Les in terms of avoiding LT. Our competitors have at least one fewer obstacle in that respect. The Rockets are one of the most profitable franchises in the NBA, and would be more profitable if they won more, and would win more if they spent more. The first 5 games of the Warriors series were decided by 5 points or less. That's a 1 role player difference.

RichieBanks likes this.
  7. shlhl

shlhl Member

They have three all star Curry,Green,Clay and they are contender. whether they will win, that is different story.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol did you know that Curry would be one of the best players when he was 23 like Russell?

More power to you if you did....yeah he was going to be a good player but great at that age?

Just give Dlo some time.

Denovo likes this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Billion dollar arena needs seats filled

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the season can’t start soon enough

Hou.SportsFan and RocksMillenium like this.
  11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

So...........trading Paul for Westbrook is a "whatever it takes" move.............

mastan likes this.
  12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Another thread whining about Tillman?

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Yes it is when it involves a ton of draft picks, something people conveniently leave out.

14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Warriors have always had good following even when they were rubbish. Stop with the "blame the owner" posts. They are rubbish posts. Anyone who pays luxury tax is putting his own money in to it. It doesn't matter how much you are spending. Spending the most money doesn't automatically give you a title

15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

i'm not worried about the picks, especially with Morey around as he can easily work trades to get picks back.The draft doesn't pay off straight away like it use to

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Or Memphis wants a #1 for a 35 year old player making $17 million who has been injured the last 3 years. No One is paying that. Hence, he is in Memphis.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why? It gives you arguably talented players on minimum contracts, minimum contracts is stressed here.

That alone is worth getting picks back.

18. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I think the rockets should of went out on a PowerForward, who could space the floor. Nikola Mirotic's almost fits the bill, if you cant get a K Love.. But i think he Tillman is not going deep into the luxury, like almost he scared to do it, because then again hes got a 2 headed monster come playoff time in LA. . But these players could be the difference in getting passed Clippers or Lakers in 7 Game series... Just saying....

19. mastan

mastan Member

But not spending to improve the team always guarantees no chance of winning title.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah, the Warriors have better support in Oakland than we have had in Houston. Their original fans were on OKC's level.