1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Melo Thread? Melo comments on his departure from HOU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 2, 2019.

1. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

if Melo had signed during this free-agency period this interview would not have happened. Stephen A trying to re-salvage Melo by giving him time. Melo went AWOL on the Rockets. He could of played against the Warriors, but he chosed to stay AWOL and he was gone after the no-show against the Warriors. Melodrama with Rockets was on him, not Rockets. At least Lin knows his days in the NBA is over, but Melo will not shed tears because he thinks he can play All-Star level. Melo will get a ring like Lin riding on someone's back.

2. amaru

amaru Member

You have it backwards. The interview happened because ESPN basketball is on life support right now due to it being early August. Smith needed Melo more than Melo needed him.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

considering melo clearly said too many people are speaking on his name and what his agenda was, its pretty clear it was him that needed espn. dude went down a full laundry list of issues to plead his case

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

5. TimDuncanDonaut

* One thing the narrative did clear up is, that Melo said he never asked for a farewell tour. This I believe. I think his trainer went too bullish on that opinion, and media went feeding frenzy over it.

* A 15th man on a current NBA team may differ their opinion on Melo than from superstars like Dame, who twittered support. If Melo is accepted, that could be that 15th man's spot. For superstars like Dame, part of it is genuine empathy, but another part is that they could see their future self in Melo, where they're a step slower but still want to play, but NBA say 'no more'. Unlike Melo, Dame has positioned himself to be a franchise lifer, so Lillard would get a farewell tour.

* Melo wants to out of limbo. This is his hail mary. If after coming on TV, at the risk of embarrassment, still no calls, then he can move on to other ventures or play overseas. As far as job prospect, I think the olympic team should have sent an invite. With all current superstars declining, Melo may be happy to play for his country.

topfive and jch1911 like this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think that would have been a good move for Melo to play for the USA team. But is he even on the pool list?

jch1911 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Struggled from the bottom of the west all the way back to the top.

Struggled from one of the worst defenses in League to top 5 after all star break.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Raindrop!!!

LMAO!

CrazyJoeDavola likes this.
  9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

https://stats.nba.com/players/advan...9&SeasonType=Regular Season&TeamID=1610612745

-9.9 rating for Melo playing THIRTY MINUTES PER GAME!!!!!!!!

Of all the guys who got ANY minutes this was only better than Chriss, MCW, Chiozza, Qi and Jones.

Meaning WORSE than.... Nunnally, Knight, Edwards, Shumpert, Ennis and Clark.

And he was WAYYYYYYY worse than Shump, Ennis and Clark.

Clearly they felt a reduction in minutes wasn’t going to work. Especially since it was likely going to be reduced to blowout duty.

Let’s not forget the quote from Billups...”too worried about scoring 30”

He wasn’t blackballed. He wasn’t done dirty. We took a long shot. Quickly saw it wasn’t working and did what needed to be done.

10. amaru

amaru Member

Thanks to the guy with the very large beard.

11. amaru

amaru Member

He could have easily said this over Instagram and gotten a similar audience. The days of needing major media coverage are over. This is the social media age.

12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I was looking at the last game he played in.He just looked like trash, and was running the chemistry houston had, he just not good anymore. He will have up and down games for other teams, and obviously gm and coaches can see it. Him and J Lin need to go play in china there time is up in the nba lol.

D-rock and fckbandwagons like this.
  13. fckbandwagons

fckbandwagons Member

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Melo felt that it was necessary to protect his legacy, through the lens of a desperate, former NBA superstar. He still fails to acknowledge how his insecurities of a diminishing role spilled over both on and off the court. And, he continues to blame someone "with power" as an explanation of things not working out.

I'm sure Morey informed him that things weren't working out (edit: Me7o telling the obvious truth, I guess. Nothing surprising with Morey's alleged wording). I'm almost certain Morey explained why things weren't working out (edit :Me7o doesn't want that part in the public.)

Morey is just part of a long list of people Melo has blamed for his short comings. Even LaLa was a target at one point.

The Rockets would have been better having him before Presti swooped in. He wouldn't accept another "support role" after BillyD asked him to come off the bench. He didn't have the willingness to sacrifice all that he's claiming.

If he's come to terms with his role as an NBA vet (as he has suggested), the Rockets (etc..) did him a favor.

I wish him the best.

#274 Codman, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    BigShasta, lilbird20, itzIce and 5 others like this.
  15. fckbandwagons

fckbandwagons Member

@rocketchamp

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

-He wasn't a cancer here

-He had no ego here

-He even had a few good games, especially against SA

-He went to Morey seeking help on how to better the team

-The Rockets cut him without consenting with CP or Harden, further evidence this was a grudge move non basketball related

roslolian likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Everybody was bad then look at Cp3 and Capela's play over that time. 10 games is too quick to make a judgement on anyone, iirc even KD struggled in GSW when he first got there and they got beat by 30 but GSW didnt panick and get rid of him.

The wins didnt come because the Rox got rid of Melo, its because of Harden's MVP play and the addition of Green, Rivers and Faried. We lost a couple of games in the playoffs by less than 5 pts, Melo could have put us over the hump. The decision to cut Melo wasnt due to his play it was a power move by Dumbtoni and Bzedelik who apparently were half assing it since Melo arrived.

I would be ok with it if Dumbtoni coached well in the playoffs but he was total trash, I'd rather have Melo last year.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't really care at this point, but I am sure that Daryl didn't cut Melo without consulting with James Harden first.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You can forget about the first 6 games, everyone was mediocre or bad mostly, and CP3 was injured or suspended.

Game 7, the Nets game is when the Rockets started to recover and pull out a mini winning streak.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pointing out what he could have done better is not automatically crucifying him.....okay some go too far but anyone should be up for criticism, that is his job, to be evaluated.

Taking a job and his fans acting like he is a touch me not, sensitive plant person, that is not his job description.

Melo is fighting for his last gig......Morey has more job security..... that is a huge difference.

Of course Melo is going to throw some punches, trying to salvage it, it might not be pretty or justified.

Personally I dun want to blame him, but would rather want him to tell the truth.

And I understand his hands are tight, that is why I think it is further proof that a Tilman Morey tandem is really not the best one.