1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Hey Tilman, here's an example of "Whatever It Takes"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Aug 3, 2019.

1. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Stockholm syndrome for a lot of "rockets fans" who continue to support someone who has done everything he can to hold this team back like their lives depend on it.

kjayp, daywalker02 and pippendagimp like this.
  2. BigBum

BigBum Member

They have 10 long term contracts with at least 3 years.

They have some trade values on bench.

Rivers, green, mclemore, Clark, hart and Bennett have no trade value.

Shumpert has big trade value at one year 13 million.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I thought signing Chris Paul to that dumb contract was winning at all cost. This contract to the donkey is kinda dumb too.

vlaurelio, tinman and don grahamleone like this.
  4. BigBum

BigBum Member

How? Donkey is as good as Westbrook. WB has 4years 171 million remaining.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That wasn't winning at all costs. That was acquiring a profitable franchise at all costs. He knew there's immense profit in this even if he has to sign Paul to that contract. Crystal clear it was a condition set by Les.

6. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Winning at all cost but letting our starting forward walk. Winning at all cost or selling tickets?

7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Dude wants top quality if he needs to pay top dollar. HOW RIDICULOUS OF HIM

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tilman nutlickers don't like when you use Tilman's own words against him. :D
    Whatever he spews, they slurp. Keep slurpin' fellas!

Tilman Fertitta determined to do ‘whatever it takes’ to improve Rockets

• “We’re going to do whatever it takes to be a championship-style team every year. I will make moves to always extend our runway."
    • Fertitta strongly pushed back on the notion that he sought deals last season to get the Rockets out of paying a luxury tax, saying he never considered that an option and that he would always authorize spending that improves the roster. The Rockets last season traded their first-round pick in the deal that moved Brandon Knight and brought in Iman Shumpert, then dealt James Ennis III to move under the tax. “Last year (getting under the luxury tax) was a fluke,” Fertitta said. “We were going to be in the (tax). It was an accident. I’m still trying to figure out how we got under. I was positive we were going to be in it by $11 million. But if I’m in the luxury tax, I expect us to win. “I just want to win. I’m not going to be in the luxury tax and not be one of the top four or five teams in the NBA.” “I’m not going to let a few million dollars (determine decisions),” Fertitta said. “Going to that seventh game, even though it would have been there, we’d probably still make a million and a half because we get part of their gate. If we go to the Western Conference finals, it’s worth $10 to $15 million to us. I’m not worried about the luxury tax. And that’s not just $10 million; it’s the next year’s ticket renewals, the sponsorships, everything. If you are in the luxury tax and you’re winning, you’re going to be a more profitable team.”
    • We will do whatever it takes this offseason to improve ourselves.”
    Rockets owner wants to win at all costs
    • “(General manager) Daryl (Morey) knows that you can go do anything you need to do to make our team better, to go spend whatever the league allows us … with all the rules that (the league has). Daryl doesn’t have his arms behind his back, at all.”

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/12/rockets-gm-daryl-morey-luxury-tax/

"General manager Daryl Morey has already been given a green light to pay the tax, a person with knowledge of the team’s planning said."

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Take my statement as only an acknowledgement of fact that has nothing to do with Tilman, but why a team would be ok spending big bucks.

They have been to the finals 5 straight years and won 3 of them. The 3 core guys who have been there through it all are still there. They have some spare cash to spend.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya too bad we couldn't sign a kawhi in order to justify going over the tax line. and we should just let our MLE expire not-fully-used every season if no AD-caliber players wanna force a trade to us.

11. BigBum

BigBum Member

Last year keep Ariza and trade Ariza for oubre,

Keep Knight and trade for iggy now.

spend 3years MLE in summer 2017

3year MLE in 2118

3years MLE in 2019

Has more trade value on bench now, but needs to pay a lot of tax.

#31 BigBum, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Someone make sure Mr. Landry reads that.

13. vick

vick Member

I am not a fan of Tilman. The Warriors have been to 5 finals in a row and is moving into a new arena. I can see why Warriors is spending money. Tilman said going to Conference, finals are 10 to 15 million extra dollars. Tilman is like a show me before I spend owner.In today's NBA to stay as an elite team, you need to spend money. This isn't like MLB, where you have farm team's to help build your team. Like it or not, Rockets need to win it all to get this owner to spend money to stay elite. If Rockets were in 5 finals in a row, he would be heavy into the tax bracket.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The Warriors spent before winning, and then after they won 1 and had a 73-win regular season, spent even more to get Durant when they could have gone on winning 65+ games every year and competing every playoffs. Durant walked and Klay is out half a season, and they dropped just as much money as they would have if Durant stayed. They are simply more willing to spend, no matter the circumstance.

It's not the same. It is not reasonable to say that he will spend after we win. What we're talking about is spending to win before you've won it.

To make matters worse, there are posters who blame James Harden for not winning it all with less talent and a spending cap. Utter ridiculousness.

luckyman76 likes this.
  15. conquistador#11

I thought this thread was going to include Gordon's Astros tweet.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Apples, meet oranges.

Big difference between spending money earned from 3 titles and 5 straight finals appearances VS spending money in the hope that your team will win a title. One is rewarding your players for their accomplishments; the other is gambling.

That said, not expanding the WB trade was a golden opportunity pissed away.

#36 topfive, Aug 3, 2019
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The OP has a point. While I'm not looking for the organization to spend that kind of money, I'm still surprised that we didn't manage to expand the deal for Westbrook. As for "give it a rest," it's the off-season. What are we going to talk about? Uniforms? I was surprised that Oakland gave Green an extension worth that much, but stopped being surprised when I thought about it. Durant is off the payroll and Green is a huge part of their success. Now Green can afford San Francisco! ;-)

TheRedRanger and justtxyank like this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Dear Tilman,

We on Clutchfans are mad that, at some specified point in the future, you haven't locked up our three core players long-term after winning multiple championships.

We are sick and tired of having contending teams who are fiscally strategic. We would much rather be the Miami Heat - a team that pays luxury tax and has minimal flexibility. At least we know their ownership will do whatever it takes.

Your incompetence as owner has driven Eric Gordon to praise the Astros on Twitter. If that's not evidence of major flaws, I don't know what is.

Can't you listen to the high volume posters on Clutchfans and just spend luxury tax dollars? It is very difficult to watch the team night in and night out, knowing that we aren't spending luxury tax dollars. It eats away at the fans psyches.

Oh, you'd like to know which player we recommend to spend them on? That doesn't matter - just spending luxury tax dollars is proven to directly result in championships. It's scientific.

You have poor reviews about your company on Glassdoor. Almost all workers in the hospitality industry love their jobs and turnover is typically near zero, so this anomaly is only further proof of your inability to run a sports team.

Please look to Bill O'Brien for guidance on being a great leader. If we could model this team after what Bill O'Brien is doing, I think the fans here would complain much less, like Texans fans.

#38 napalm06, Aug 3, 2019
    BuckeyeRocketFan, biff17 and rbradmag like this.
  19. vick

vick Member

Warriors was not in tax when they were bad for so many years. They were bad for about 30 years. They were not spending tax money at the start of titles. The better got the more they have spent.

20. Mr Chuck Norris

LMAOOOOOOOO

Denovo likes this.