1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Melo Thread? Melo comments on his departure from HOU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 2, 2019.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Jesus, this guy could not be a bigger drama queen. Didn't this guy shoot like 30% from three point range while he was here? Good lord. Possibly one of the most overrated alleged superstars in NBA history.

D-rock and beardsanity713 like this.
  2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I think the Rockets did him dirty. I think they scapegoated him for that terrible start. I don't think his ego was an issue at all. Just my opinion.

icewill36, Jontro and daywalker02 like this.
  3. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

If Melo was in shape, prepared and ready-to-play for Game 6 of the Warriors series, would have he been able to help?

I hated what I saw from him last year, but I am thinking in retrospect . . .

4. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Load of crap. Melo has always been about Melo and nothing else. Actions don't lie and most importantly, game doesn't lie. Stank in NY, OKC and even in Houston. For some reason, Melo felt entitled that people owe him because he had some good achievements in the past. He refuses to be the role player that he is now and never really upgraded his game. That ego can break you and it is exactly what has happened.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Based off the Rockets handling off him after 10 games, him being professional the whole time, and the fact CP wasn't consulted, it's a blackball

6. jch1911

jch1911 Member

D-rock likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

still waiting for u to provide just 1 plausible reason that the entire league has decided to blackball Melo...if u can’t, then don’t quote me

jsilencio and topfive like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The NBA did not blackball anyone, teams want a role player, Melo does not fit the niche requirement.

Even at his best he was a one dimensional Borderline superstar that couldn’t play make enough, block enough, move the ball around enough, move off the ball well enough.

There is no role for him other than coming in hot for some ISO points, he is declining to do that too.

DaDakota, Reeko, Obito and 2 others like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Even if true its only a verdict against melo cause noone is scapegoating a valuable contributor

topfive and Game7 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His 10th game against OKC was obviously a dud game, but one has to look deeper.

Obviously the bad game at New Orleans/Rondo and CP3 altercation overshadowed the first 5-6 games.

The Rockets were going for a 3 winning streak after that. An upswing

7th game vs Nets 28 pts - good shooting (32 pts by CP3) - best game Plus 3 (plus minus)
    8th game vs Bulls 17 and 7 - good shooting - 2nd best Plus 7
    9th game vs Pacers 8 pts Plus 3

All off the bench. The timing wasn't the best one either.

In 10 games he had three 20 pt games, one 17 pt game. 1 double digit rebounding game. 2 almost double doubles.

In hindsight Gary Clark also did not develop into a consistent rotation player without Melo being around.
    (another excuse)
    And it is no coincidence they decided to 'get rid of' him after the OKC game (major rival, major trade partner).

He didn't suck on Offense completely, we knew before we got him that he wasn't a good defender.

For a minimum contract player.

#230 daywalker02, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Go back to the sentence i wrote even if scapegoated its only a verdict against him
    Ask yourself why harden wasnt scapegoated or pj ? Because thay are valuable
    this very sas interwiew is a proof morey did the right thing....the entire season would be poisoned had we kept him any longer
    imagine meda outrage and the drama if melo stayed longer here....oh boy!

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun go back to anything.....I just meant it wasn't him playing really sub par for a minimum contract guy.

He was improving actually.

It was bizarre and odd how the OKC game means so much to Morey.......a franchise Morey had tons of dealings with in his career.

The NBA has never been too much about Right or Wrong, it has been about Narratives.

And letting go of him too early, that is another PR nightmare for Morey.

This poison thing is overrated. CP3 was poison in that Rondo incident as well.

Well, CP3 is more important that is why he got to stay......

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Just watching his lazy face around was countermotivating to playing defense

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I seriously and sincerely care more about what MCW has to say about his departure from Houston.

D-rock, daywalker02 and Easy like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He stunk on D, Morey could see Harden and CP3 giving him too many shots out of respect, and did the right thing and dropped him.

The team was better without him,

Money made the team better by cutting him.

DD

hakeem94 and Roxfan4lyfe like this.
  16. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

This guy is a clueless, egocentric team-killer.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It did happened. Where were you? It's not just about Melo seeking attention. It's the media. Didn't you see the media circus even before he had played a game for the Rockets? Didn't you see the media circus after he didn't show up in the Spurs game? Drama follows him.

It's the same with Westbrook. Do you think MDA could bench Westbrook even if he's not contributing to the team winning? No. Because it would draw crap show that would bring more negative vibes to the team than just letting him play. These are superstars. You can't just treat them like regular players.

topfive likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess yeah, would have preferred a way to please both sides, maybe not go for Anthony at all, or talk to him about the situation from the get go.

Hoped they could have found a way to not further damage his reputation which has already been on a slippery slope.

'You know your role is to infuse scoring off the bench and nothing else, and your contract is a minimum one, so you can be cut or let go any moment.'

What you are saying I could understand that as a franchise and Daryl Morey included, we are not efficiently equipped to deal with the needs of superstars......but are in love to get the last one of them, particularly when they are about to get washed.

And as a organization they are not equipped to deal with the media accordingly or they were easily overwhelmed by the media when it comes to former superstars.

Therein lies the irony.

Easy likes this.
  19. icewill36

icewill36 Member

They didn’t blackball him, but cutting him after only 10 games makes it look like they are blaming him for the teams start.... so that would sour any team on signing him, especially a contender. Melo did not complain about his role off the bench, and was not a problem in the locker room.

How was it his fault when the team continued to lose after we was released? James, Chris, and Clint finally got in game shape and that’s when things turned around.

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

So all you "Melo's been blackballed" people, you honestly think there's not a single GM out of 30 who'd be unwilling to bring in someone who could help his team?

LeBron James, the Lakers' assistant GM to Pelinka, would love to have his buddy on his team, but doesn't dare because word around the league says that Melo is off-limits and nobody should sign him?

You guys make me laugh. I guess you're also upset because Jeremy Lin has been blackballed. And D-Mo. And everyone else not currently on a roster.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.