1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Melo Thread? Melo comments on his departure from HOU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It was worth the risk of a minimum contract. They weighed the risks perfectly, cut their losses earlier than most would and they handled his departure with great professionalism.

They didn't pay the hefty price it would cost years before, and whatever they had said earlier was rapidly eroding with Melo's rapidly eroding effectiveness. It was entirely possible that a rejuvenated Melo would turn back the clock a bit. It didn't happen. A lot of it had to do with weak close outs, terrible switching ability and an inability to drive past PF's. I'm always pro taking risks when you don't have much to work with. I don't like it when they sit around and say "well what would you have done??".

If that risk pays off, we might be celebrating a title right now. Instead, we lost regular season seeding position and ended up playing the Warriors in the 2nd round instead of the WCF. Big whoop.

#141 Mathloom, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    lnchan likes this.
  2. biff17

biff17 Member

I agree, I think he said something about playing time and the team was thinking about spot minutes.

Morey saw the writing on the wall and just cut ties.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

But the writing on the wall was his idea!

[​IMG]

Easy likes this.
  4. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

So apparently I can criticize the coaching staff and the players, and that's just commenting. But if I comment on decisions that affect the players or the coaching staff that's whining?

That sounds pretty ridiculous. We're all just commenting here. Now, had I been carrying on about Melo for the last year about how he was treated that would be whining. That I could agree with you on.

As for WB's and CP3's contracts (which I never brought up), they're nearly identical deals with no impact one way or another to the Rockets' cap. True, WB's deal runs longer. Now maybe it was a good trade, maybe it's proof as you say that Tilman is not afraid to write big checks, but to me the trade seems like a gamble. We'll have to see what happens though. I hope it works.

What's clear, however, is that Tilman and the Rockets have passed up multiple avenues to upgrade the roster and their chances of winning. Why seems pretty obvious to me, but it's really not worth debating. If you're in the camp that the Rockets are already spending a lot of money and they're going to be really good, that's fine. I'm in the camp that they're really good, but they could be great if they spent more.

It's fine if you disagree with what I've said. But that won't change the fact that I simply feel bad for Melo and how things worked out between him and the Rockets.

HP3 likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The nba has given up on Melo
    @Reeko

hakeem94 and Reeko like this.
  6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Who?

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Imo...
    Durrell ignored the aprehensions of MDA and Bzdelik regarding Melo - thats why Bzdelik quit...

Durrell told Melo he was going to be an integral part of the team to entice him to join...

MDA still had ill will toward Melo - so he wasnt really gonna try to acclimate him and utilize him... MDA wasnt walking away from the paycheck like he did in NY - but Melo wasnt gonna be given a fair opportunity,,,

Melo wasnt able to do a good job just being plugged into MDAs schemes - without adjustments to mitigate melos shortcomings - which MDA wasnt gonna make... Plus he was running with the likes of MCW and Ennis and so forth...

We sucked out the gate due to injuries and MDAs ineptness regarding defense (with Bzdeliks departure)

Durrell freaked out and panicked and did whatever he could do to entice Bzdeliks return to try to save the season... which was kicking Melo to the curb...

Melo has long been a selfish player... One could easily say that the disaster in Houston was Melo's past indiscretions catching up with him...

but it was a fools errand on Durrell's part - which undervalued chemistry and coaching... 2 things that Durrell has always undervalued...

...jus sayin...

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The Melo failure was a net loss and a coaching and probably Harden failure. That guy was an all-star and at times got MVP votes. There's no way a better coaching staff couldn't have worked him in to the rotation as a third option.

It's water under the bridge at this point, but I think it's important to see that it wasn't Melo's fault.

HoustonTexas likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nah, you should honestly feel like you got fired.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

so why hasn't any coaching staff picked him up yet in a years time. hes just been sitting there. even the most powerful guy in the league and one of his bff's lebron didn't even get him on the lakers and last i checked they've been needing spots to fill in that time span

Pistol Pete and Reeko like this.
  11. kjayp

He shot .328 from 3...
    Rivers was .321
    Shump .296

how much time did he spend running with MCW, Ennis, etc...

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Stigma. He's a damn good player and it's a shame he hasn't landed anywhere outside of the Lakers.

He was a failed experiment here. but as I said, the fail blame lays at on the coaching.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

what stigma. he isn't that good anymore and he refuses to believe it. doesn't grasp the full understanding of being able to adjust. that's on him not on anyone else

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Agreed and it's why Morey fired Jeff's petty ass. Made Morey look bad a take massive for his wavering ass only to be let down in the playoffs by his defense. The off-season firing was Morey's revenge.

Sajan, hakeem94 and bj3175 like this.
  15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Melo looks 45, not 35. His face looks like it's losing its relationship with gravity, so I can only imagine the shape his body is in. He should probably work on himself more or differently, so he can perform how teams want instead of worrying about his current rep...

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Except that Melo was not GG. Yanking GG off the floor when he blew several defensive assignment would be nothing. Yanking Melo, on the other hand, would attract attention like the last episode of Game of Thrones.

17. kjayp

I think Bzdelik prob told Morey he wouldnt work with Melo... Morey called his bluff... Bzdelik wasnt bluffing...

..imo... i could be wrong...

bj3175 likes this.
  18. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

This is the first time melo has come out and said anything. He wasn't a fit on the rockets but hasn't done anything to be disrespected

bj3175 likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clint Capela has made my posting style obsolete

hakeem94 and Easy like this.
  20. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Right the guy sometimes plays chess against himself

topfive likes this.