1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros land Zack Greinke

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Jul 31, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

Lots of great Greinke stories and quotes in here

I love this Alex Gordon story

2. mightybosstone

This was a great read. I never really knew any of this stuff about Greinke, but I'm already a huge fan of him before he ever pitches a game in an Astros uniform. I'm really hoping this thing works out and he can see similar success in Houston.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You hope the organization's analytical think-tank side appeals to this part of him... apparently he's got that inner-nerd at heart interest in the game that's deeper than most players.

everyday eddie and desihooper like this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And... the legend of Kevin Brown has been somewhat inflated over the years. He was undoubtedly great in game 1 (16 Ks) - but the game 3 start nearly backfired as he was good but not great (3 H, 5 BB, 5 K, 6.2 IP) and nearly started a raging fire in the 7th inning before the Astros bailed him out with poor baserunning and clutch hitting.

But Kevin Brown was a very good pitcher. I just can't see *this* offense striking out 11 times against a Sterling Hitchcock-level pitcher (which is what the Astros did in an elimination game).

eric.81 likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Someone is questioning @JR's methods of news gathering?...

6. akgoel

akgoel Member

That was the same lineup that struck out 20 times against Kerry Wood. For a team that features 6x 0.300 hitters, they were prone to all getting shut down at the same time.

While this current lineup doesn't K alot, it does feel like they are prone to GIDP.

Hey Now! likes this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Sterling Hitchcock is a name that illicits a physical reaction out of me.....much like Walt Weiss. I loved those Astros teams, but watching those lineups go complete deer-in-headlights in big moments is something I will never miss. As great as they were, that team never had the "I don't give a ****" attitude that this team is SO full of. Guys like Bregman, Springer, Altuve, Correa...hell, even Yuli.....they CRAVE the spotlight. It makes October baseball that much more fun.

8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

This. So much this.

I believe that those great Killer B teams were so intent on playing "the right way" and showing "respect to the game" and treating it like a "job" that their asses tightened up like snare drums as soon a big moment approached. Their single-mindedness in this made them almost anti-fun.

Don't get me wrong, I loved those teams. I lived and died with them. The wife and my first date was watching game 7 of the 2014 NLCS at Two Rows in the Village. My parents caught Derek Bell's champagne soaked hat after the Dome's last regular season game when we clinched. I can close my eyes right now and see Sterling EFFING Hitchcock throwing breaking balls in the dirt and our amazing lineup just hacking away, completely unable to stop themselves.

I thought those teams were the pinnacle... and then I met Jose and George and Marwin and Bregs and La Pina and Carlos... suddenly, baseball was about... joy. It was obvious to these dudes that they were playing a game and you could tell how unburdened they were by expectations or playing the game "the right way." They just played.

We are truly lucky. This is a special team.

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

rusHour likes this.
  10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, these current players don’t play the game the right way because they are not single minded? Your close minded perception of two hall of fame ball players is way off the mark. But I probably have single mindedness. Just opining on a glorious day of being an Astros fan

Nook likes this.
  11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    I was playing golf a month ago at an extremely exclusive country club that regularly hosts PGA events, and I asked my caddie who the best golfer (other than me) was that he had ever played with. His answer was Zack Greinke. Apparently there was a point in Greinke's career where he wasn't sure he could continue on with baseball and he explored going pro as a golfer. To ease any concerns you all may have, there has never been a point in my career where I have considered giving up my job as Industrialist in favor of any professional sports.

GOOD DAY

Nook likes this.
  12. msn

msn Member

Look those teams were great, and until these guys add a few more years Bagwell and Biggio remain the greatest, but those teams were not without their cultural issues. This is a much healthier lockerroom than those. And it shows.

eric.81 likes this.
  13. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm sorry... I wasn't clear enough. What I was saying is that I don't believe in a "right" or "wrong" way to play the game. If you play within the rules, do it your way.The Killer B teams never exhibited 1/10th of the joy that our current players do. I personally think that the enthusiasm and fun our current team has allows them to play with a looseness that the Killer B's never had. 100% my perception though.

And to reemphasize from my original post, I LOVED the Killer B's and still do. Biggio debuted for the Astros when I was a 7-year old little leaguer and retired when I was in my mid 20's. He was "the man" through literally all my formative years. I don't think it's unfair to say those teams treated baseball (at least outwardly) like a "job" whereas our current group treats it like a "game." I've never played pro ball so I am only speculating on which way works better... however, I do know what I enjoy watching more.

I guess something easy to agree on is that it's great to be a Stros fan!

bigdaddy likes this.
  14. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

The video of Hinch the moment he found out Grienke was an Astro.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The Alex Gordon story had me rolling.

"Do more of that."

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear what you’re putting down! I love these players and how they play the game. I have seen them play the game “the right way “ and do it with the intent that the B’s purposed. The joy of watching these Astros is hard to beat and hopefully we can enjoy a few more titles.

eric.81 likes this.
  17. vick

vick Member

The best of times. I am 68 years old. Astros, Rockets, and Texans all have a chance to win it all.

CheezeyBoy22 and bigdaddy like this.
  18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You have not been following the Texans then.

CheezeyBoy22, HTM and BigM like this.
  19. biff17

biff17 Member

I still remember based loaded with 1 or 0 outs in extra innings.

A hit wins the game and coming up empty.

I think that was the year we got Johnson, I have looked at those guys the same way again.

I'm pretty sure it was the meat of the order as well.

Can anybody remember this?

20. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]