1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gilbert Arenas: "This (Rockets) team will not be successful"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets11206, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

Covington would go a long way

BaselineFade, D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

They sure seem to be.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

We'll see what's what after the trade deadline.

Also, Chandler should help with presence down low when needed.

5. xaos

xaos Member

As long as no one brings a gun to the locker room we good

6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Clint was 6'10 1/2 or so barefoot as a rookie. If going by that he is legitimately 7' like Steven Adams. Rockets need some longer 6'7 to 7' guys. Sefolosha? Covington?

#26 Sanctity, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I’m supposed to listen to the judgement of a dude who thought it was smart to bring a gun into a nba locker room?

8. apatel123

apatel123 Member

Tyson Chandler anyone?

clutchdabear and don grahamleone like this.
  9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You can always trust Arenas, he's a straight shooter. Gun to his head, it ain't gonna work.

10. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

how so chode?

11. dream2franchise

Size is def a concern defensively and for rebounding.

But a Lakers 5 of Lebron, KCP, Kuzma, AD and Cousins is absolutely getting cooked.

12. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Doesn't matter. End of the day this rockets team with Westbrook needs a solid veteran to guard legit SF and get boards. Iggy or Crowder need to be traded for. Get EG in with Westbrook in the second unit

13. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Lebron Green, KCP, Kuzma AD I mean even that lineup makes our big lineup look small. Definitely could use a solid dude at the 3 or 4 vs that lineup that can shoot

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think the Rockets can do a decent job on LeBron and AD. LeBron, AD AND Cousins may be tougher, but you can counter size with great three-point shooting. Like D'Antoni has said before (paraphrasing) ... we'll let them take the twos because we're going for three on the other end.

With Harden, Gordon, Tucker and Paul, the Rockets have great three-poi... oh wait. We traded for Westbrook. Never mind. We're screwed.

Hopefully Westbrook helps the small lineups rebound better and gets a lot of easy baskets in transition. He can still run lineups and create a lot of three-point shots and alleyoops, as Harden as been doing. It just remains to be seen how effective the Rockets will be with Westbrook OFF the ball. Hopefully they mix it up somehow but I expect teams to cheat off Westbrook on the deep perimeter.

clutchdabear, Bornz, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I also think the Clippers are more of a threat than the Lakers.

16. SRR21

SRR21 Member

GA bringing a bag of guns to his analysis. I am not that concerned with his thought process.

crimsonghost likes this.
  17. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Well said Clutch, my thoughts are more so about how we will get a board period against those big lineups especially with what we saw last year at the end of games with all of those damn second chance opportunities
    . I agree Westbrook at the 1 isn't the 3 point shooting of CP but one thing that makes me feel somewhat at ease is if we pick n roll and get a AD, Cousins, even Lebron on to Russ it will just open up the shooters like Harden does (expecting most open 3's harden has ever had). CP no longer is the iso threat we saw his first year with us but with an Harden iso we have to hope Russ regains some form or just learns to slash and use his mid range. What makes you feel the Clippers over the Lakers? I feel the rockets historically have had a tough time vs. AD teams.

18. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Arenas has turned into a punk.

Indulges the moron grifter Mia Khalifa

Talked sh*t on the late Anthony Mason

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Add Gordon + one of whatever inexpensive player they want, take back Dieng? Not that I want him, but I can't see Rosas agreeing without the Rockets taking trash back. (Still may not do it, if they're that in love with DeAngelo Russell)

And we've already gone through how badly we don't want Wiggins here...

But RoCo, someone like him, or one of the decent 4s on the Knicks that can't be moved until 12/15, would indeed make the Rockets the favorites.

RoCo's salary, by itself, this year is 11.3 million. The Rockets are ~1.17 below the tax line. Call adding RoCo's salary a flat 10 million over the line. That'll cost the Rockets 16.25 million in tax. Plus 11.3 million in salary. Is Fertitta going to write a 27.5 million dollar check just to get Covington? When the thought is they're gunshy about being repeaters because of the extra year on Westbrook's deal?

I wish they would though.

Edit: if there's someone who knows a thing about squandered success, it's Gilbert Arenas.

20. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

But on the flip side.... being too big against the Rockets is a problem for other teams
    It's been proven the last few years.
    We just added a double figure rebounder that goes by the name Russ.
    Chandler is older but he is still a great rim protector and rebounder at this stage of his career.

What he fails to mention is that those teams have to guard us as well.

YaoMing#1 and don grahamleone like this.