1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Real Sad Story of Baltimore

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jul 31, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes. Don't worry about no jobs, just take away welfare. Without jobs OR welfare the situation will surely get better.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I LOLd. :D

3. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

It will stop women having kids with useless men, which is what is happening now. That's what drives poverty. All this talk about job loss or drugs is secondary.

4. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

You are right. It's the foundational problem, from which every other problem (that we are talking about here) stems from.

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

what?
    Can you give me the 2 paragraph version of how you would think this?not a link your stance. Sounds like crazy talk.umm Lets take away assistance to mothers.

you sound like you have idea and I would assume you do not have kids based on your comment

Its an outlandish statement. Ripe internet.
    Im still only on a few pages into your civil war thread btw

6. justtxyank

Yeah the jobs disappeared because women were having too many babies with useless men. Ridiculous.

7. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

First, thanks for reading my Civil War 2 thread ("electric bugaloo" LOL)

Anyway, there are many commenters on YT, but also in academia, who note the detrimental effect of welfare benefits on families.

Basically, since the Great Society, if there was a male in the house, the mother would get less or no welfare funding. That created an incentive for the woman to kick the man out of the house; not get married, etc.

As far as I know, a lot of welfare for single mothers still works this way.

Most interesting, it was liberal Daniel Patrick Moynihan, in the "Moynihan Report," that noted that LBJ's proposed welfare programs would in fact, for the reasons stated above, make the situation worse among lower-income Americans, notably including African-Americans.

In the end, LBJ did not listen to (or follow) Moynihan's advice.

It's hard to find the exact quote I'm looking for, but Moynihan said something to LBJ like "your new welfare programs are going to seriously hurt the African-American community, because it will prevent or erode family formation."

Here's one link, but there are many:

"A consequence of these trends, Moynihan emphasized, was a “Startling Increase in Welfare Dependency” among American Negroes. Largely because of broken families, he wrote, 56 percent of nonwhite children received means-tested public assistance at some time in their lives under the nation’s Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) program, which mainly assisted female-headed families. By contrast, this figure was 9 percent among white children. Stunned to discover that the number of new AFDC cases opened for nonwhites was increasing even as nonwhite male unemployment rates in the prosperous early 1960s were slowly decreasing, he speculated that something deeper than economic hardship alone was beginning to damage lower-class black families, which were falling apart even as the overall economy was exhibiting vibrant growth."

https://www.educationnext.org/moynihan-and-the-single-parent-family/

Ironically, no one has taken heed of Moynihan's warnings, although they were accurate.

But from this welfare programs we get the situation we have today. And we know the stats about children born to unmarried mothers in the African-American community (75 to 77%), but it is up across all demographics.

And, of the men in jail today, the overwhelming majority grew up in single parent households.

Now, a kid -can- grow up a single parent household, and become successful (my father was one) -- but that's very, very rare.

8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

9. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Heh. I never said that at all.

What I'm saying is, welfare enables women to get with useless (ie, non-employed) men. You know, the more "exciting" men.

If you haven't heard this argument (that I'm making) before, then....I'm surprised. These arguments and debates have been around since the 1960s, at least.

Now, if you have heard of them, and just don't agree that welfare itself causes problems, then that's another thing. But if this is your position, you're ignoring a whole lot of evidence.

Actually, I think you're ignoring a whole lot of evidence either way.

10. justtxyank

I'm defending or attacking welfare, but I am absolutely rejecting the idea that welfare destroyed the black families and the black middle class in particular or that eliminating it would restore them.

11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

This gets at more of what I was thinking of:

"The new report, “The Moynihan Report Revisited,” outlines some of the very same challenges to the well-being of black families chronicled back then, including acute and concentrated poverty in low-income black neighborhoods populated by underemployed and unemployed residents; crime; inequality in housing, employment, education, health care, and the criminal justice system; high rates of nonmarital births and children raised in households headed by single women; and social welfare policies that undermine the role of black men. (The report also offers more context about the larger political, social, legal and economic forces that have contributed to the problems.)"

".....and social welfare policies that undermine the role of black men......"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ea3f0e7bb5a_story.html?utm_term=.b4003f05b2f3

There's plenty of evidence and writing on this topic.

But just as in the 1960s, and in the LBJ administration, no one wants to hear this; or say it out loud.

12. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

13. biff17

biff17 Member

So women are kicking men out of the house for welfare?

Can you be anymore more idiotic.

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Black women are given this choice: live under the man in patriarchy or under the government in matriarchy. In this society, women, black women, especially, are encouraged to choose matriarchy. Even an idiot could see that.

Astrodome likes this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I think you have it backwards...

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Do you believe this or is this you paraphrasing a viewpoint?

this thread is getting better btw

BruceAndre likes this.
  17. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Basically, we need to restore the patriarchy.

18. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you say all news are leftists and liars...even fox. you say breitbart is the only legit source of news. when facts are presented and articles are used to back up the facts you dismiss all the articles out of hand by saying they are leftists. even when article is just printing direct quotes from people...you say they are biased and cant be trusted.

so how do you now post an article from the atlantic without coming off like a total hack and/or dishonest troll?

20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am paraphrasing a much larger viewpoint of liberal societal deculturarization that I agree with.

As has been alluded to in this thread, white people are also suffering from drugs (opiods and meth) and broken families (marrying later and less, higher divorce rates, more children before marriage).

However, deculturarization affects the poor harder. Neither produce "good" people, but the poor are funneled to prison. Others get an education, a profession, and become reliable debtors and taxpayers. These people also further push for liberal (not democrat vs republican) policies, that further push society away from any kind of order or culture.

Nothing else will do. This will upset some people, but women will always lead men astray.

BruceAndre likes this.