1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

EG3: Astros owner does whatever it takes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 31, 2019.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:eek:

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Daryl Morey has done a fantastic job here. Don't insult that, unless you are truly an idiot and don't know how to google a name.

ChumpCity likes this.
  3. izeroi

izeroi Member

Eat more Landrys.

4. vick

vick Member

Tilman, Shut up and Listen.

5. vick

vick Member

They have a Lux. Tax. Team's like Yankees, have to give money to teams that don't spend much money.

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You’re spot here. Still, that the Texans are so comfortable with being okay as a team.... it’s because that stadium is full. They finally priced us out of an 11th year of season tickets and quite frankly we won’t miss going. I might’ve watched 5 games worth on tv last year, usually a quarter of gametime. We sold our seats every game we could for the last 3 years. It’s just aggravating that they do the same thing every year. Couple of stars put up big, hollow numbers. Team never gets better. Questionable offseason followed by lots of PR spin....

If you’re wondering our 2 seats in the upper deck and yellow parking pass had gone up something like 700 dollars. My cousin finally sold his PSL too.

7. MystikArkitect

Seems high.

Mazulis and J Sizzle like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think Tilman genuinely thinks we're dumb, and that his players are dumb. He thinks people don't notice what's gone down.

Gray_Jay and Mazulis like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is QAnon but for Rockets fans isn't it.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't want to go too deep into the Astros here, because it's the GARM, after all, but I've been an Astros fan since they were the Colt 45's and the Dome was a hole in the ground. Crane was bought off by Baseball to move to the American League. I realize a lot of people love that now, since the team has done so well in the AL, but I wasn't a fan of the move at all. I've gotten over being ticked off about it, but Crane is far from a saint, in my humble opinion. Having said that, he's done a far better job as an owner with the team than I've seen from Fertitta with the Rockets, at least so far. The early returns on Tilman are not encouraging.

payaso likes this.
  12. MystikArkitect

If MLB tells you that you’re only choice to get into one of the most lucrative ownerships on the planet is to move leagues...you say no?

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, I would have. I'm not Crane, though. Houston wasn't the only team that could have been moved.

payaso likes this.
  14. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

Sounds like you are a rational fan....what the hell are you doing here?! o_O

15. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

[​IMG]

SamThaGreat and J.R. like this.
  16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

FIFY

Also, don’t forget that Crane also approved a 5-year, $100 million extension for Alex Bregman that bought out his arbitration seasons.

#96 DVauthrin, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You can dislike the move to the AL on a personal level, but it's not a "sell out" move or something where he did/failed to do something for the good of the team.

Like, hypothetically, if Fertitta makes the best uniforms ever but guts payroll to the minimum all around and we lose all the time, it doesn't make him a good owner because he got good uniforms.

The Astros have been run exceptionally well. Crane hired the right people, has fully empowered them, the uniform changes have been great, he brought back in the Ryan family, he's spent money, etc. Like the only complaint you can make about him is that he moved to the AL and you don't "like" that.

I don't "like" Westbrook trade, but my preference for CP3 doesn't make Tilman a bad owner. You know what I mean?

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I get it. Putting aside my dislike for the move to the AL, Crane has been a good owner for the Astros, far better than McLane, for sure. He's walked the walk. Tilman has just talked the talk, so far.

justtxyank likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I just want to be clear that I'm not dismissing your preference for the NL. I get how that runs deep for NL fans.

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Since becoming owner, Jim Crane has signed off on contract extensions for Jose Altuve (5 years, $151 million), Justin Verlander (2 years, $66 million) and Alex Bregman (5 years, $100 million). He allowed Lunhow to sign Michael Brantley to a two-year, $32 million contract, and approved trades for two of the highest-paid starting pitchers in MLB (Verlander and Greinke). He also approved the trade for Gerrit Cole. The Astros are acting like a major-market team for the first time in their history with him as owner, and, as a fan, I love it. We are the fourth-largest U.S. city, after all.

Both Tilman Fertitta and Jim Crane own championship-caliber teams right now. One of them ordered his GM to sacrifice a first-round draft pick to stay under the luxury tax line at the trade deadline last season; the other approved a trade yesterday for a star pitcher making more than $25 million a year (after factoring in Arizona will pay $24 million of Greinke’s remaining salary). If you can’t see the difference between the two, you are blind or choosing to ignore facts.

#100 DVauthrin, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Gray_Jay likes this.