1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Blazers give CJ McCollum 3yr 100M extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jul 30, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Solid deal, though winning with those 2 in the backcourt is just not going to happen.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

same can be said about any other backcourt not named klay/steph until its actually done

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

the problem is Lillard and Cj aren't even close to being MVPs. They are two second best players on championship rosters.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

nothing really wrong with that at the end of the day

5. REEKO_HTOWN

For a team like Portland who has been ok with just making it to the second round of the playoffs, no that's just the goal.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean that’s what yalls perception of it is. Not theirs. They invested in their backcourt that the majority of other teams are still searching for. Which they should

7. REEKO_HTOWN

No doubt, but just like any small market team they panicked and locked down a non all-star for to max money. The worst thing to do in the NBA is to give max money to non max players. It now limits the moves they can make to actually contend. Which is good news for us.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

He’s a non all star bc of how deep the west is. Doesn’t mean he isn’t an all star caliber player, he absolutely is. Someone who can take over games and get a W. And he’s clearly illustrated that capability. In the day of people getting overpaid cj is one of the last to believe he hasn’t earned it. They’ll be just as competitive as anyone in a wide open year. Losing to the only team nobody else could beat in the wcf doesn’t change that.

Asian Sensation and Deckard like this.
  9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

McCollum at $33mil/year is a fair deal. There are much worse contracts out there.

da_juice likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You may have a point about the West. Perhaps if CJ played in the East, he’d be an All Star. As for the “day of people getting overpaid,” that’s where we are. That’s perfectly obvious to me. If that’s the direction of the league, they need to raise the freakin’ cap, ASAP. I’m reminded of the film, “The Year of Living Dangerously.” Seems to me that a lot of franchises are doing just that in order to contend. Living dangerously. One franchise that isn’t, however, not yet anyway, are the Rockets.

I’ve yet to see Fertitta follow his words with actions. We remain cautious because, in my opinion, Morey is required to be. Not expanding the Westbrook trade was very surprising. I think it says a lot about Fertitta. What he says and what he’s willing to do aren’t in synch. Not yet, and that’s dangerous for a contending team with a shrinking window to get that 3rd championship, the ultimate measure of success in this league, in my opinion.

#30 Deckard, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    da_juice and YOLO like this.
  11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Lillard is the real deal. Maybe not the best overall player on a championship team, but is finals MVP material. Just seems to step up big at the right moments. I could see him bailing out the best player on the team in a championship run.

Emtenndo likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

One interesting thing is that next summer, if they renounce the rights to all of their free agents (including Whiteside and Bazemore), they actually have almost $30 million in capspace. This includes Hood coming back on his player option year. Would they be royally stupid to commit $30 million a season to Draymond Green? At first glance it might be but man a core of Nurkic, Green, McCollum and Lillard would be tough man.

da_juice likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You mean like giving $40 mil to Chris Paul?

14. REEKO_HTOWN

Yes. Very much like that. Morey paid 4 first rounders to save us from the Blazers fait.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The rockets prêtty much gave 3 1st round picks a 2nd round pick and Beverley for Westbrook.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I stand corrected it would be this and 2 pick swaps for Westbrook.