1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon: Extend? Trade? Stay the course?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 30, 2019.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Man, its really hard to tell wether Gordon enjoys being here or not haha. Man i wish hed sign an extension.

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I feel obligated to respond to this every time i see it but BigBum is clearly one of those burner accounts of the guys who every summer appear and tag others and respond with H-Tine constantly or seem to build each other up. Not sure if it's multiple guys or just one but but somehow BigBum is still around.

Deuce and hakeem94 like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

its obvious it has multiple users. you don't go from barely making any sense and typing a foreign language to actually posting complete sentences

Ramo$e likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

How can he sign something that hasn't been offered yet?

Ramo$e and HP3 like this.
  5. steddinotayto

Jopat is 52 years old. Senility comes with old age.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let him earn a new contract. Same with D’Antoni. If he dies, he dies.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this would certainly deserve its own thread if anything deserves its own thread :eek:

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

You are the hater. Who is the burner account.
    Whoever thinks I am Holics burner account, is a fool.

I do agree that my personality is 20% similar with Holic. That's it.

9. steddinotayto

Your random usage of percentages is 99% similar to Holic.

10. BreakYoSelfFool

This is funnier than 92% of the posts I've read today

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Giving away free newsletter content again. Man.

luckyman76 likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmmm...do we know that it hasnt? Wasnt it reported that they have been in talks, or maybe that was last year?

13. BreakYoSelfFool

I would like to see Eric Gordon on a decreasing contract that averages around $18 mil. I think this would be a fair compromise from both ends and would increase the likelihood of him staying and also increase his trade value as time passes. 4 years 70 mil, structured 19/18/17/16 would be great. I Otherwise 3 yr, 54 mil with the 3rd year a team option.

I think he is a great 6th man/ average starter. I also think there may be other guys in that range that could help us more, but not many because bad contracts have been flying around recently. I definitely would not give him more than Clint Capela. Also, I would rather trade Clint than EG, I think it would be easier to find someone who could do what Clint does than someone who can do what EG does.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey! :confused:

(no argument about the other guy, though)

steddinotayto likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

try to work out a reasonable extension...if not, keep him, and only look to trade him for something that upgrades the team

Perhaps a S&T could be worked out in the summer?

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I feel like that trade would still be worth it for us, Richardson is much young, cheaper...overall just a much better asset to have and to trade, and tbh i think he would fit in pretty much perfectly, super solid 3&D who can also create by himself...Eric is definitely stronger (which is a plus with this defense) and his range is top tier, but all things considered i still say there's no way in hell the Rockets turn down that swap.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't know where I'm at on EG …. I know you have t do something rather than lose him for nothing.

The question is what is that something - extend or trade ?

I like EG's game for the most part , great shooter , under appreciated defender , really just a good fit starting or off the bench in this positionless offense , he can fit anywhere 1-3.

I don't think you are going to swap him and get a better player without adding significant assets.

The million dollar question is how much is he going to cost to keep for another 3 years ? I cant see Tilman giving him $30m+ yearly over that span … not when Harden , Capela & Westbrook add up to 68.4% of the tax line , EG at 30m puts you at 80.5% of the tax line with 4 contracts. Not the salary cap - The Tax Line.
    Now consider that its been reported "we're uncomfortable going deep into the tax." I just cant see EG being a Rocket next year unless he's getting significantly less than $30m.

I think its almost inevitable that EG gets traded by the deadline or walks for nothing (maybe a S&T) next year.

So maybe the real question we should be asking is what can we flip him for ?

BigBum likes this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think there's no way in hell Gordon will find a team willing to pay him around 30M per season in a year, when he'll be around 31/32 with his injury history...my guess is at best he's going to get a 3 year 70M deal from a desperate team, i just don't see anyone giving him a 3/4 year deal worth around 25/30M per season...

If (which is a big if) the Rockets would be willing to give him something around 60/65/M in 3 years i think he would sign that unless he's already set on leaving. Would be cool to know if they did offer him that kind of money or not though.

Corrosion and HP3 like this.
  19. BigBum

BigBum Member

Anything can happen.
    Kyle Lowry at age of 31, signed a 3-years 90 million contract.
    Next summer
    Harden 41M
    WB 41M
    Gordon 30M
    3 players Total: 112M

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It just seems to me that comparable deals / players are falling in that $30+m range. EG is in that same group of players , maybe a step below.

McCollum - 3/100
    D'Angelo Russell 4/117
    Khris Middleton 5/178 (WTF?)
    Jamal Murray 5/170

I don't have a clue what it may take to keep him beyond this season. Maybe he will sign for 3/60-65 , maybe it takes 3/75.

But even at 20-25 its 74 -77% of the tax line spent on 4 players while ownership is uncomfortable going into the tax.

I'd like to see him extended because he fits so well on both ends of the court ….. but I have my doubts as to whether Tilman will pay the piper.