1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Rotation (Bauer, Castillo, Gray, DeSclafani, Mahle) and bullpen (Iglesias, Garrett, Hernandez, Stephenson, Lorenzen) on par with anybody. Young outfield with major upside in Senzel, VanMeter, and Ervin. Infield anchored by Votto and Suarez. They need a C and a SS, but Peraza and Barnhart can start the season to see if they rebound. They’ve still got a very good farm to deal from. And they should have plenty of money.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Hey- I’ve found a landing spot for Correa in the off season!

I love Correa but my dad and I were talking watching the game about trading him. I couldn’t come up with a good fit in need of a SS. They might make sense.

3. htownbball

htownbball Member

Who would you get back in return? Apparently they just traded their top prospect for Bauer. They're not going to gut the rest of the system for Correa

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was going to post this because I don't understand what in the world San Diego did here. It's like they just gave away players for a high ranking prospect that is having a terrible year.

texans1095 likes this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I wasn’t really serious. I was just going by snake saying they had a good farm system.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Maybe he fits their timeline more? Or they really liked him? Doesn’t really make sense unless maybe they are trying to flip him for Thor or something.
    Goofy last 72 hours to say the least.

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-40-man-situations-that-could-impact-trades/

They were crowded at the outfield corners and on the 40-man so they cleared both logjams by acquiring a prospect who doesn't have to be added to the 40-man.

8. Major

Major Member

I would think with signing Machado, their timeline is the next 3-5 years, which is when Reyes would be in his prime?

9. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This, plus I expect SDP think they got the person who will be the better player or person most able to he flipped for Noah.

xcrunner51 likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

8 hours to go. The massive haul Cleveland got for Bauer certainly clouds the situation and I think makes it less likely other good controllable pitchers will he moved. Still hoping for Greinke or Ray, but Wheeler might be the only guy actually traded.

12. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Props to Cleveland. They absolutely won this trade. Getting Puig and Reyes and then Allen (top 100 prospect) is a HAUL. Bauer has all the potential in the world (evidenced by his incredible season in 2018) but he’s been mostly average this season and only has one more year of club control remaining. Again, great job by Cleveland.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I dont even feel confident that Wheeler will be acquired by us at this point. Completely disappointing and lame trade deadline up to now.

14. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Shoot... getting nervous but there's a lot of time right now. Giants are what is screwing this up. Too many watching and waiting on them.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Me too. Other than the dodgers are juggernauts. But honestly their window is maybe more wide open than anyone in MLB.

16. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Hearing rumors of Straw or Abreu for Wheeler...

I have Straw, Tucker, Beer, Whitley as untouchables for rentals, and would much rather give up a positional player (e.g. Fisher, Toro) than any potential starters. Would they take Valdez or Perez, who may not be starters for us, though they're also our best home grown bet to end the left-handed reliever curse.

Relevant links in terms of valuing Wheeler and our prospects (though dated):
    https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/6/16/18680915/exploring-a-zack-wheeler-trade
    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-39-prospects-houston-astros/

We do need a #4 to pitch in the postseason, including the World Series. Who's that going to be?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I agree they got a haul. I am curious as to what metric you say they “won this trade”.

This isn’t a dig, this is a philosophical question and a bunch of different answers could be used for “winning” the trade (total War, club control, savings, filling holes, extending a competitive window, etc)

I think that getting rid of Bauer makes it less likely they win a playoff series “this year” as no one human being is more important in the playoffs than starting pitcher, and I think he’s one of the top 20 of those in the game.

As an Astros fan I’m happy they did this deal. As a Cleveland fan I’d be happy they did the deal.

19. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Ken Rosenthal states the Astros interest for MadBum is strong, and Giant intrigues by Joshua Rojas (AAA)

#1899 HOUSTON2017, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  20. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Rojas i thought?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.