1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drexler: NOT a consummate professional?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 29, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey wants to be the Forest Gump of ping pong players.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I wish it would make you post bettee.

BigShasta likes this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Clyde is a crappy commentator, but don't get it twisted he was a HALL OF FAME STUD on that basketball court. He was older when he came here and was still great, but those prime Portland years were spectacular.

daywalker02 and D-rock like this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

I didn’t say he wasn’t but he admitted he relied on his athleticism and didn’t really value practice that much. Defense in particular.

5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Maybe, and that's a maybe, Chris Paul has had a better career than Russell Westbrook. I don't think after last season you can really argue he's the better player right now.

It doesn't really matter what you think is the more efficient shot.... the math is inarguable and the crux of the matter is making either shot. I don't think any shot, save half court surprise attack heaves are "easier to get".

I think Harden is willing to do anything to win. Except let an obviously slipping player dominate the ball, not produce and then tell him he's playing with the "wrong spirit". Harden is going to love hanging out for open 3s while Westbrook either rocks the rim or deals him that open look. They will both have 15ish minutes to run the show on their own and 15ish minutes where they need to focus on team ball. Only a real stupid ass idiot thinks D'Antoni can't stagger their minutes after 2 years of Paul/Harden doing exactly that. Except Paul needed more breaks, was more fragile than Westbrook....

Fyreball and BigShasta like this.
  6. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

This is where I really question the acuity and game-knowledge of Clyde Drexler. I suspect that Drexler and Hakeem played against Dorrell Murty in a handicap match, because there's no possible way that either of them could defeat Morty in a standard-ruleset singles match dictated by ITTF (International Table Tennis Federation) guidelines.

This really brings into question Drexler's journalistic credibility. He presents no evidence for his assertion that both he and Hakeem (either individually or in tandem) defeated Morsey in an ITTF-sanctioned table tennis match and, instead, asks us to simply believe him. That is not good journalism, and does not speak well of Drexler's ability to manage his own ego. I mean, let's just look at the facts: Maurey has defeated top-tier table tennis titans from six of the seven continents on earth, from everywhere except Iceland.

I used to appreciate Drexler's quick wit and knowledgeable insight, but this baseless assertion leaves me questioning the ethical standards by which he operates as a journalist. I hope Moray speaks up concerning this matter and sets the record straight; the stakes are really too high to just let an allegation like this go unchallenged.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

This actually makes me like the Westbrook trade more.

Apparently I was the only one who noticed how poorly CP3 led a second unit last season.

hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Paul on court with Harden off had a +10.4 net rating last year, which projects a 69 win season. Our CP3 led second units were extremely dominant last season.

BaselineFade, HP3 and YOLO like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

I’ll have to look into the stats but I vividly remember our CP3 bench units giving up leads and causing Harden to come in earlier than needed.

I certainly don’t remember them being “dominant”. I see nothing that ranks our bench as top ten.

Regardless, CP3 lost a step and couldn’t beat his man consistently.

hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  10. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

What Clyde says is completely true when CP3 was in his prime and healthy. He just doesn't see the risk today.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What people fail to understand is, yes, Westbrook is a better, younger player than Paul. But Paul is the better fit with Harden.

YOLO likes this.
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Now that Les is gone hopefully Drexler is off the commentary team. Please gawd.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ex players do not like their low IQ and inefficient counterparts, Clyde would shoot jumpers over WB any day.

14. BreakYoSelfFool

But Harden would rather play with Westbrook, making him the better fit

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

who will it be next year? butler again? i guess we'll wait and see who's next in line to cycle through

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  16. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

and the return of Calvin Murphy

hakeem94 and CometsWin like this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean, im not sure what you are defining as career, do you mean accolades or who is better? If its accolades...I guess? But if its who is the better player, Chris Paul will 100% be seen as the much better player if both their careers ended today.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't remember the defense part, but I have read some book excerpts and interviews and the not practicing in Houston was spot on. Drexler and Barkley were so different. Drexler showed up like 15 minutes before the game and Barkley hated him for that. Barkley gained weight in the off-season and Drexler, priding himself on being in shape, hated Barkley for that. And they both had excellent peripheral court vision. They both were very flawed in different ways, and yet were two of the greatest of all time.

Drexler's reputation of not working hard has followed him after his NBA career, but now it's funny because he's old. Same goes for Barkley's inability to stay in shape. They became the ultra versions of their inner selves in their most flawed ways.

JW86 likes this.
  19. MaliciousMonkey

I don't know if this means anything but when I met Clyde in 2004 for his book signing, my brother asked him how he felt about the McGrady-Francis/Mobley deal and he said he doesn't believe in trading 2 for 1...

That made me think that he doesn't really know how to team build / evaluate talent.

JW86 likes this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Why?