1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The coming civil war in the USA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BruceAndre, Jul 28, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Heh. Perhaps you could elaborate on your scoring.

--you don't think any of this is happening?

--you don't think any of this could happen?

2. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

To the doubters, look at what's happening between the AOC/Omar Democrats and the WH; between CNN and Fox News.

Do these look like reconcilable differences?

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's the difference between having Mitt Romney as President and a edgelord child as President. Donald Trump leaving office isn't going to solve all the tension but the dude who holds the most clout and the largest bully pulpit on a daily basis attempting say the most hot take absurd divisive comments to rile up his base definitely is not sustainable.

These poo flinging wars wouldn't really be nearly as prevelant if a normal human with appropriate levels if intelligence and maturity was POTUS even if I disagree with them on ideological level.

But a civil war ain't happening unless a large segment of the population's economy just falls apart or is severely threatened. The South's entire slave labor infrustructure was threatened which was pretty much their entire economy.

Trump and a Great Depression level reccesion would probably the only way I see a literal civil war in this country. You need massive economic depression.

#23 fchowd0311, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    JayGoogle and mdrowe00 like this.
  4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Fits the narrative of supposed Americans Trumpsters who talk like anarchists about blowing it all up scorched earth and starting over. Bruce and dachuda both cater to this while claiming the real divider of America was Obama. Nevermind that this is all happening and is encouraged under the Trump administration lead by dear cuck leader.

IBTL and Rashmon like this.
  5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

there is a podcast about this subject that i have been meaning to check out called "it could happen here".

https://www.itcouldhappenherepod.com/
    also, bruce andre = sweet lou = new yorker

#25 jo mama, Jul 29, 2019
    Space Ghost and London'sBurning like this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Member

I think most of it can be blamed on the media. They push narratives and build echo chambers instead of just reporting the news. There is way too much opinion interlaced in the reporting. Both right and left leaning news outlets are guilty of this. It keeps people who consume the media daily constantly riled up and pissed off. People who are into politics tend to consume more news than the average person and receive the most echo chamber effect. The censoring on social media just adds fuel to the fire.

BruceAndre likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

There are a few things that must be resolved or else our society/nation will collapse.

The #1 threat is the disproportionate representation and craptacularly flawed democratic system we have.

We've engineered a system to encourage polarization, which encourages tribalism, which encourages closed-mindedness, which encourages bad actors.

As time marches on we will see violent swings from left-to-right and back again. Each swing stocking up more and more kinetic energy. Each successive failure to make substantive change due to the planned gridlock resulting in further anger and tensions between warring sides increasingly viewing each other as adversaries instead of compartriots thanks in no small part to a news media apparatus focused on ratings.

Republicans don't like to hear this, but they have largely benefited from the systemic gridlock and non-representative architecture of our democracy. It will remain largely up to them to decide when to unshackle the country from this problem.

My fear is that no conservatives will have the courage to recognize and address this, and will sit on their hands idly until it's too late and we have to suffer the revolution, rather than undertake it.

Economic distress will accelerate this process. The coming robot apocalypse (i.e. massive unemployment) will bring all of this to a head sooner or later. Too many people sitting on the sidelines of our society, traditionally conservative folks too. They will look everywhere for answers and restitution, but it may take them a while to finally place the blame properly.

#27 DonnyMost, Jul 29, 2019
    Nolen likes this.
  8. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Our country is too lazy. Half of the men in this country can’t even lead their families and raise their kids anymore. People will just continue to fight on Facebook and take shots behind a phone screen and then act like everything is cool when they’re in a face to face situation.

Plus, nothing is as bad as it seems, the news portrays it this way so people keep thinking there is a reason to watch. No matter what channel you watch or believe, how many times a day do they preach how doomed we are? How many times a day do you actually see that in your actual life? The ratio isn’t close.

IBTL and cml750 like this.
  9. biff17

biff17 Member

Somebody really needed attention today.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Uh oh, @BruceAndre has self-radicalized on Youtube. I can understand how some Trumpers might feel a civil war coming. It's a known phenomenon much written about in international relations that as hegemony tips from one power to another, the fading power might start a pre-emptive war in an effort to stave off the competitor before it's too late (and it's usually too late anyway). But being on the liberal side, I feel no pressure to have any war, hot or cold, even though I have Trump as president right now wrecking havoc on our democratic institutions. I don't need to fight, just to say what I believe, and live and vote those beliefs. I'm dismayed to hear that some Trumpers feel like a more belligerent interaction might be necessary.

Rashmon likes this.
  11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I guess you are just going to ignore my words... you know the part where I said I wasn't advocating anything.

What I am trying to point out is that the current situation does have analogies or comparisons to the 1850s; and like that time, you are beginning to see some violence break out, as in "Bleeding Kansas."

These trends are going to keep growing whether I am want them to or not.

But some people insist on seeing things through their particular lens -- which actually is a huge part of the problem; and also affirms my point.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Maybe you can perform some self reflection and introspection on how you contribute to the your perception that a civil war is looming.

13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

The videos speak to this. In most wars, most people are not fighting. And in fact, unless there is some type of rationing, they really aren't impacted in a day to day sense. That is, until some final resolution breaks things one way or the other.

Moreover, I think too many of you are getting caught up in a very limited definition of "war." One of the video presenters says that "war" can be a low intensity conflict.

"War" can also be a war of ideas and propaganda, as with the US/USSR cold war. I don't know how anyone can deny that this last point is not happening. Most of the news has become propaganda.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I have trouble comparing Bleeding Kansas to Proud Boys vs. Antifa larping.

In the grand scheme of things, I think we're living in a less temultuous time than even the 1960s. We have time to make it worse, of course, but for now this is a bit of a tempest in a teapot scenario regarding what politically motivated civil unrest we see.

15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I think the "robots stealing our jobs" thing is overblown -- it will happen to a limited degree -- but I agree with much of the rest of your analysis.

16. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

This is the funniest thing I have seen in quite some time.:D

I did listen to that podcast, and will have some thoughts on it in a bit.

17. biff17

biff17 Member

What do you see as a parallel to Bleeding Kansas?

18. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

It's not just them, in the current scene. And the Bleeding Kansas was off the top of my head. Point is, there was much smaller and sporadic episodes of violence, before the larger conflagration.

19. biff17

biff17 Member

I beginning to think this is not Bobby.

Bobby was much more intelligent than Bruce.

or maybe he is just trolling.

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I would agree with this. But I think the agenda media could not exacerbate divisions, if those divisions weren't there in the first place.

cml750 likes this.