1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisiting Stevie Franchise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Steve Francis doesn't quite have Westbrook's 'God' like physique. He was athletic, sure, but wasn't any near what Westbrook is and will be for the Rockets.

topfive likes this.
  2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

He should join the Big 3.

tinman likes this.
  3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

He looks good. He looks healthy and energetic. Good to see. I had a parent who ultimately died of alcoholism after years of struggle, so I know what it can do to a person. I hope he's able to stay sober, but it will be a lifelong challenge. Based on my observation, the disease can rear its ugly head due simply to boredom or lack of direction, so I am not surprised his unhappiness with the Magic and Knicks started him down the path of addiction. I hope he has positive things in his life that will keep him focused and able to channel his energy into constructive and healthy pursuits.

Roomba, D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Stevie needed like 5 dribbles to get past his defender. RW can get by 1 dribble move.

5. raining threes

Steve was selfish and dumb as a box of rocks.

Guys like him are all about the highlights and not making the correct plays. You can never win with a guy like Steve Francis. So much talent with a 10 cent brain.

cheke64 likes this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sounds familar to a new superstar we have!

tycoonchip likes this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The game favored ball-handling and slashing over shooting at that point. See: Jason Williams, Michael Redd, Corey Maggette, Baron Davis, Stephon Marbury, Andre Miller.

jch1911 likes this.
  8. dejamike

dejamike Member

Wow, he looks soooo much better than those partying pics, he finally looks like his former self again.

topfive, Patience and jch1911 like this.
  9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

By the time Francis was in NY his knee was shredded and his athleticism gone. After that he was pretty much toast.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you just replace the name with a blank it looks like a quote about Westbrook.

11. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Francis dropped out of high school after his mom died from breast cancer. He lived off food stamps in a small apartment with 15 people. His dad went to federal prison after robbing a bank. Has had a really tough life. Glad he's still fighting.

The song for this mix really fits.

jch1911 likes this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

By the way, is anyone else surprised by how terrible the footage of Francis playing looks? It's amazing to me how low definition and pixelated it was. It doesn't seem like that long ago.

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

A Francis led fast break was a disaster waiting to happen. If he didn't score the ball he would probably throw it into the 3rd row.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

They need to work on their intro to the show. Puke

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Glad he’s doing better. One of the most exciting rockets ever. Him crossing iverson in philly and dunking on sabonis were my fav moments of him.

topfive, Invisible Fan and D-rock like this.
  16. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Boy, not me. I loved the JVG era. In a low scoring game, every possession is important and execution and attention to details becomes critical. I have this belief that one can not witness truly great offense unless truly great defense is played first.

Back then I had season tickets. I was pretty high up, but with binoculars I could see JVG's pad as he drew up plays in the huddle. Not well enough to see the play, but I could see what side of the court and that sort of stuff. I would tell my friend where the ball was going to go, but it never went there. Never! Finally I figured JVG was drawing up defensive sets, even in our possession time outs! I still have a man crush on that dude.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Never won with TWac either.

Rocket River

tycoonchip likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I just hope he is clean, and healthy.

DD

MIAGI99, topfive and smoothie like this.
  19. raining threes

Nope, Westbrook was much more of a team player, he actually tries to play defense.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Steve had heart but he didn't have brain. Crazy watchable athleticism.

Fans today would savage him over dribble dribble iso ball.

He wasn't the same without cat or a big to bail him out with five seconds left on the clock.