1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon Prime Video] The Lord of the Rings TV Series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Supermac34, Mar 10, 2019.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They seemed pretty serious about it:
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/2/17928400/amazon-video-robert-jordan-wheel-of-time-neil-gaiman

But I actually agree with you. Lip service until we actually see a release date...

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Wheel of Time is dangerous. The first few books are epic and excellent...but the middle books of the story become work just to get through them. Robert Jordan got lost in his world about halfway through. In all honesty, I'm not sure he could have wrapped it up himself. Brandon Sanderson led a valiant effort in closing out the series after Jordan passed away and the last couple books saved the series from a nosedive.

The show runners, if they want to be successful, really need to trim down the latter half of the series.

clos4life and Jontro like this.
  3. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would want to see a Warhammer, Starcraft or Warcraft TV project as well. Or Terry Pratchett.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

**** I’m stoked!!

6. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Same. Last rumor I read was 5 seasons, $1B budget. This could be really good. More than anything I hope they respect the attitude and tone of the source material.

My wife and I rewatched the Hobbit movies recently, and we both were asking the same thing: did the people who made this even like the damn book, because this movie feels nothing at all like it felt reading it. Plot changes don’t bother me much, but the Hobbit films were just stupid action movies. It just seemed a total bastardization of the Hobbit name.

clos4life, Deckard and Jontro like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Between this and The Expanse I think I'm going to have to sign up for Amazon Prime..

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

This **** better be epic. Or Bezos should stay his ass in space.

clos4life, Invisible Fan and Jontro like this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

Lord of the Rings. So it's about Phil Jackson?

[​IMG]

clos4life, Jontro and ATXNekko like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If Jackson had cut half of the trilogy of films "based" on The Hobbit, I would likely agree with you. If I had never read The Hobbit, multiple times, I might agree with you. Since Jackson produced the ponderous collection of films very loosely based on the novel Tolkien wrote, and I actually read that novel, I just can't.

It has nothing to do with Jackson's brilliant Lord of the Rings. Not a perfect trilogy of films, but a beautiful creation by Peter Jackson, nevertheless. It has everything to do with much of Jackson's version of The Hobbit being created out of whole cloth, with the majority of it sadly lacking the magic that permeated the novel, not to mention the humor, in my opinion.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this!

HTXSportsAddict and Jontro like this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

awww shiiiieeeee... white wizard vs blek wizard

[​IMG]

lessgooooooooo!

13. Supermac34

Copy and pasted from the other thread:

So I was thinking that it was supposed to take place in the Second age, and most people were thinking it would be a story revolving around the Rise and Fall of Númenor, but in this picture, there appears to be Laurelin and Telperion in the background (the big trees)...so this is a picture of Valinor before the destruction of the trees? That happened millennia before the Second Age. Perhaps a Prologue?

14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

As someone who once even read the Silmarillion, what????

clos4life and Deckard like this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'd rather see the Wheel of Time series done correctly. I'm happy with the LOTR extended versions of movies impossible to improve upon that.

clos4life and i3artow i3aller like this.
  16. Supermac34

OK, so here we go.

When Arda (the world) was first formed, it was lit by two giant lamps. These lamps were called Illuin, the silver one to the north, and Ormal, the golden one to the south. These lamps lit the world with "sunlight" and "moonlight". Melkor (who would later become Morgoth) destroyed the lamps when he broke Arda the first time.

The Valar (archangels) rebuilt Arda and created Valinor, the country where they would live. Since they only had the twilight of the stars as light, Yavanna (the second most powerful female Vala) sung two trees into existence. They were Telperion, the Silver, and Laurelin, the Gold. One's light would wax as the other would wane each day and it was said they were most beautiful when the light would mingle in the process.

Feanor, the mighest elf to ever live used the light of the trees to forge the Silmarils. Morgoth and Ungoliant (the great grandmother of Shelob) destroyed the trees. Yavanna was able to save a fruit and a flower from the trees which became the Sun and the Moon, but it is said that the only place left on Arda with the pure, unsullied light of the trees left were the Silmarils (thus the ages of war for their return).

Yavanna gifted a tree to the elves that lived in Valinor based upon Telperion the Silver. It was called Galathilion. It was the same as Telperion but had no light of its own. The elves then given a sapling of that tree to the men of Numenor and it was called Nimloth the Fair. It grew in Numenor until Sauron led to its destruction. A sapling was saved by Isildur before the destruction of Numenor and brought to Middle Earth. It became the first of four White Trees of Gondor.

The most interesting thing about the picture presented by Amazon is that it depicts the trees in Valinor in front of probably the city of Valmar. This is during the Era of the Trees which was probably multiple "ages". After that, began the First Age of Middle Earth with the destruction of the trees an the creation and sailing of the Sun (and the awakening of Men). It includes pretty much all of the War for the Silmarils. The Second Age is basically the Rise and Fall of Numenor, and the Third Age is basically the "time of the Ring of power".

The rumors and what Amazon owns the rights to are basically the Second and Third Age stories, so to show the Trees in Valinor means that they either acquired the rights along the way, or they have permission to tell the story as part of a prologue or someothing. (everyone assumed it was the story of Numenor in the series)

At the end of The Lord of the Rings (books) the only constantly living elf in Middle Earth (not in Valinor) to have seen the trees was Galadriel. Glorfindel most likely did as well, but he died once and was resurrected, so there is some question as to whether he would have remembered them.

bobloblaw and Phillyrocket like this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

OK I definitely don’t remember all of those details but I also didn’t see the 2nd tree. I’m assuming you’re correct about it being a prologue. The 1st age is too trippy and religious to make a series in my opinion, and they need to tie in the fans of the movies.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As long as they do an excellent job of creating and inhabiting the world visualized by Tolkien, I don't care which age they focus on. Based on that image being a sample of what they are producing, I'm all in. It's beautiful and exudes Tolkien's astonishing imagination.

bobloblaw likes this.
  20. HTXSportsAddict

Warner Bros interfered a ton in the production of The Hobbit movies including stretching it into three and forcing the love triangle with Tauriel, Legolas, and the "handsome" dwarf. Jackson seems really unhappy in the behind-the-scenes stuff. It could've been great.

clos4life and Deckard like this.