1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey says Rockets still not done?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Jul 27, 2019.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You have hit the nail on the head, his shooting becomes more vital, but acquiring an all star for him will be unrealistic. Covington for Eric and a 2nd might work out, but I'm concerned about Robert's fitness. Eric is a slightly superior player compared to him too.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Smart does so much for Cs. Cannot see him moving in a deal that doesn't move their needle to high prominence. Besides, when does Wheelin' Danny deal when Wheelin' Danny doesn't (try to) do a flogging???

Brown is the guy I'm wondering what Ainge is thinking. Terrific young project, really like the guy. But - - and ain't there always a 'BUT'??? - - but he is due for an extension next summer and the gent anticipates being maxed. So, what will Ainge do with him?

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

What's the question?

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Probably right. I just think A. Gordan can be had and is the perfect fit for Rockets. Orlando needs a PG, which we don't have to give. Much rather have him than RoCo. If shump, throw-ins and a couple of picks would get it done, I think we would instantly be favorites to win it all.

D-rock likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is A Gordon a nother Gordon since The Gordon of Rox note and not-a-bility doesn't seem a magical match nor likely to elicit what would be necessary here or in Magicville from Trader A-inge.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. Rocketsfan3422

Can you just get Covington please do we can start the season already

D-rock, jch1911 and Fulgore like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't understand this idea that we can't afford to trade Gordon unless it's for an All Star.

We have him on a 1 year contract which means whichever team he goes to has to take the risk of losing him in a year. Secondly, he's hitting that age where 95% of players take a nosedive. He wants an extension. He had a bad regular season, only showing up towards the end so teams might have to give him the Iguodala treatment where they don't expect much from him during the regular season and use him in the playoffs.

All of that in COMBINATION with the positives he brings - great space creation and excellent defense - that's what creates his value. No one in the NBA is giving up an All Star for that combination unless they have to and we can't perpetually wait for something like that.

Now here's why we can trade him for a lesser player: if Gordon is say the 30th best player in the NBA, we would be idiots to not trade him for the 35th best player in the NBA IF that player can DEFEND a position that we are in more desperate need of defending. If there's a 6'10 player out there who shoots slightly worse than Gordon and defends slightly worse than Gordon, then we must do it. Meaning, we can take 90 cents on the dollar in trade as long as it solves a greater need. We need that player more than we need what Gordon brings.

You best believe Morey has thought about the potential disaster of extending Gordon the day before he declines. If he hadn't, we would have extended him by now. This is the perfect time to trade Eric Gordon. I don't know that we'll find a good trade like that, but Morey needs to be shopping Gordon and Capela to see how we can go 5-out with versatile defenders at a variety of positions.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Sounds like a general statement about making moves going forward.

But isn't this common knowledge?

34to11 and UTSA2step like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Eric Gordon is a good NBA player. He is not an all star and he isn’t as good as some Rockets fans seem to think. He wasn’t the Rockets best player, Chris Paul was clearly the Rockets second best player, he arguably wasn’t as important as Capela or Tucker.

If he is traded, he is traded. Having said that I don’t think Morey was referring to any particular pending trade.

jch1911 likes this.
  11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I like gordon but I think hes gone. Just my opinion time stamp this thread and we can come back to it later.

jch1911 likes this.
  12. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

Welcome to a day in life of Daryl EFfing Morey

D-rock likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Daryl is not done, he has a timer that rings every now and then and screeches : Daryl, do something!

D-rock likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Daryl's lookin' good! Definitely lost some weight. I think the beard is an improvement, and I liked the red pullover, but that was it with the question(s)? Kind of weird. Did they forget to notify the media? It's a conspiracy!

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He was not that corpulent to begin with, had a big head and flesh on it.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You make him sound like a Texas Redfish that's been working out at the gym!
    ;-)

#36 Deckard, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Hakeemtheking and daywalker02 like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really think Tucker is all but untouchable …. They didn't want to give him up for Jimmy Buckets. If that's the case , who would they give him up for ? That list seems awfully short.

I think the return for Capela would have to be crazy too ….

EG probably has an expanded list because of his contract situation …. but that is probably a short list too.

18. lionaire

lionaire Member

"We'll have our pick of free agents crumbs"

19. johnk2220

johnk2220 Member

Morey's either gonna piss off the group that wants to keep gordon or the ones who wanna trade him. classic lose lose. if we can get covington for him he would be either a good spark off the bench or our starting 3 and house off the bench

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Houston Rockets

• Opposing executive on where the Rockets stand: “Whoever that anonymous player was that said ‘don’t panic’ might have saved them. Swapping (Chris) Paul for (Russell) Westbrook is an upgrade I think. It’s up to Mike D’Antoni to stagger (James) Harden and Westbrook some. If they do that, holy cow are they hard to defend. And they kept all the other important guys. They need a couple more forwards, but they’ll figure that out. I think they’re the best team in the Western Conference right now.”

• Rockets coach on fitting in Russell Westbrook: “It’s not like Chris Paul was easy to fit in. And that’s not a knock on Chris. Him and James (Harden) are two dudes who are used to having the ball a lot. Now it’s Russ and James. We’ll figure it out. The good news is that those two guys have history together and loved playing together. That makes everything easier.”

• Team executive on what’s next for the roster: “Keep tinkering. We have a very small amount of guaranteed contracts. That gives us a ton of flexibility to move things around. Someone else will pop free and we’ll be right there. Our starting five is as good as any in the NBA. We have solid depth already. Can we upgrade the bench? Sure. But it’s okay. And we don’t play a ton of bench guys anyway. It will be fine.”

• Opposing player on the Rockets upcoming season: “They are a pain to play against and Russ (Westbrook) makes it that much harder. With Chris (Paul) he picks his spots. You can see when he’s gonna take a couple of possessions and spot up off (James) Harden. Russ doesn’t do that. You have to be ready or he’s at the rim dunking or dishing.”

• Opposing coach on Russell Westbrook’s fit: “I bet he has an all-time year off the ball. He’s a fantastic cutter, but never got to use it much because the Thunder’s passing stunk. (James) Harden will dime him up a ton on baseline cuts. If they can get Westbrook to play at like 80% speed sometimes, it will best for him and them. I don’t know if he’s wired that way though. If he insists on being ‘the man’, it will be a problem. But I bet him and Harden have already talked and are ready to make it work.”

D-rock, 34to11, Vivi and 4 others like this.