1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon Prime] The Boys

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 24, 2019.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The image above is from The Boys, Amazon’s new and upcoming adaptation of Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson’s graphic novel, but it is not the title team themselves. Instead, this is a shot of The 7, your superhero stand-ins that allow the writers to take some liberties with comic book tropes and flawed heroes. “The Boys”, on the other hand, are the team of blue-collar vigilantes who take down corrupt superheroes with extreme prejudice. The first trailer for the new Amazon series teases some of the insane action to come, even if it’s more for the familiar fans than it is for newcomers.

Eric Kripke (Supernatural) is the executive producer and writer of The Boys series with Dan Trachtenberg directing the pilot. Seth Rogen, who shared the first trailer today, and Evan Goldberg are also on board as executive producers. The show stars Karl Urban, Karen Fukuhara, Laz Alonso, Tomer Kapon, Anthony Starr, Dominique McElligott, Jesse T. Usher, Chance Crawford, Simon Pegg and Jack Quaid, most of whom you can get a glimpse of in this first trailer. The series premieres on Amazon Prime later this year.

Check out the first trailer for The Boys below, courtesy of Rogen:

Here’s the official synopsis for The Boys:

In a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame, THE BOYS centers on a group of vigilantes known informally as “The Boys,” who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with no more than their blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty. THE BOYS is a fun and irreverent take on what happens when superheroes – who are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians and as revered as Gods – abuse their superpowers rather than use them for good. It’s the powerless against the super powerful as The Boys embark on a heroic quest to expose the truth about “The Seven,” and Vought – the multi-billion dollar conglomerate that manages these superheroes. THE BOYS is scheduled for a 2019 release.

http://collider.com/the-boys-trailer/

Sounds like a neat concept, not familiar with the graphic novel......

Hakeemtheking and tmoney1101 like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was excited to see this. . . until i read Seth Rogan . . .. *groan*

The Graphic novels are. . . . GRAPHIC and INSANE and GREAT

Rocket River

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I thought the same before watching Future Man, which he also produced. But it turned out great

4. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Just pointing out that the show is on Amazon and your title says Hulu.

tmoney1101 and GRENDEL like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

This sounds pretty cool. Keep us posted....

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

This new trailer is pretty sweet.....NSFW....

tmoney1101 likes this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Cannot wait for this to start

Rocket River

tmoney1101 likes this.
  8. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

Just finished binge watching this show and I loved it. It's my favorite show this year so far. I can't wait to see what they do with the next season. The ad campaign does not do the show justice.

#8 TheRedRanger, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Hakeemtheking and tmoney1101 like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

First episode was really good. Did not like the imagery of Elizabeth Shue bartering Nubian Prince like he was a slave, but I get it, these guys are supposed to be despicable.

Eric Kripke is a good writer; he wrote the first 5 seasons of Supernatural. People laugh and don't think Supernatural is a good show because it is on the CW, but it had a fire plot... Kripke left after season 5 (has been a consultant since season 7) because he wrote the show for 5 seasons.. CW wanted more and it has since gone off the rails.

TheRedRanger likes this.
  10. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Two episodes in and enjoying this. The heavy content warnings on amazon before each episode are also cracking me up.

tmoney1101 and TheRedRanger like this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Just glad this was a amazon original and not a netflix original. Amazon production > netflix anything.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

amazon makes films?

tinman likes this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Watchmen meets the tick. This show is ducking awesome

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Watered down but good

Rocket River

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

For real ? What are some other examples? I’m not sure I have watched anything on amazon as of yet.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I disagree. This was a good first season, but you can tell they were skimping; There isn't much superhero-ing at all. The production is on par with anything Netflix has come out with IMO.

I'm curious to see how Amazon handles effects juggernaut The Expanse.

Rocket River likes this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What show or production is netflix on par with, I am curious?

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

I was intrigued by the show's premise because I had no clue what the source content was. Watched the first episode on a whim and ended up binging it straight through.

The plane scene was so realistic in terms of the logic that goes into being a non-Superman superhero. I think that sequence might have been the best one in the entire season run, from when Homelander and Maeve got onto the plane all the way to the aftermath / end result.

It was one of the most realistic depictions of heroism / the lack thereof.

Homelander is like a budget Superman and Maeve, I think, is a budget Wonder Woman. Maeve couldn't fly, so she couldn't save a single person on the plane. Homelander didn't have the time to save them all and even saving 1 person would mean word might get out that the duo didn't save everyone, causing all sorts of problems.

For the people that finished the series, or at least are past the plane scene:

Do you guys think Homelander actually could have saved all the people on that plane, if he wanted to? Or did he just simply choose not to?

To me, this isn't a superhero show in the same vein as a Supergirl or Flash type show, where they try to pump scenes full of CGI for their feats of superheroism. I really like that The Boys subverts expectations on what the audience expects to see from superhero shows. The stuff they DID make "superhero-y" were pretty good though, like the aforementioned plane scene. And all the laser beams from Homelander and Starlight. It might be "budget" effects, but quality over quantity was definitely what they strove for.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

I hope they do more with Black Noir and The Deep, next season. The Deep was basically "realistic Aquaman" lol.

The plot twist at the end was great.

TheRedRanger and tmoney1101 like this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

The baby scene was one of the greatest moments in television history