1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Would likely require an offseason trade of Correa and Reddick

Move Correa who's salary will climb pretty big in arbitration this year and next, and bring in some cheap talent along with moving the 10+ million salary
    Move Reddick and his 13 million next year, possibly would have to move him along with Correa to get someone to pick up the money

Right there you clear out enough to cover what you would pay Cole next year, the following year Brantley and Yuli's money is gone which would cover it, and the following year JV big salary is gone also.

Huge puzzle to put together, but it can certainly be done IF they are willing to move Correa after winning their second World Series, and IF guys like Tucker and Whitley pan out giving you more cheap options to use in place of guys like Brantley and Yuli and so forth

Now, if you give up a Tucker for a pitcher like Syndergaard, then you have to figure Cole is definitely gone

Personally, i'd try like hell to use JBB, Urquidy, Abreu, Nova, Stubbs along with guys like Fisher/Kemp as sweetners, to try and bring in a pitcher to help us win it all right now, then try to get Cole signed in the offseason

mick fry and raining threes like this.
  2. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Well, that definitely proves he HASN'T thrived in the postseason in the past. Would have to hope that he'd have different success now as a veteran pitcher compared to when the Blue Jays last made their playoff runs when he was a much younger/inexperienced pitcher.

3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why I think the Yankees will swing for the fences for a top pitcher. Their pitching staff hasn't been great. They play the Red Sox 8 times in two weeks... huge for us in the standings

bigdaddy and everyday eddie like this.
  4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This guy is a joke

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would trade Tucker and JBB for Thor.

As much for the next 2 seasons as this season, maybe moreso. We need pitchers in a desperate way and we should still have a ton of offense. Tucker becoming a quality player feels more like a luxury than a necessity.

Hey Now!, Nook and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  7. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I agree. If we trade Tucker, I would like to keep Fisher to be a fallback option for a corner OF spot.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tucker (with maybe a couple “safe face” prospects like Dawson and Armenteros thrown in) hypotheticals:

Jays for Stroman and Biagini
    Mets for Syndergaard and Lugo
    Mariners for Gonzales and Elias
    Rangers for Minor and LeClerc
    Pirates for Archer and Vazquez
    Tigers for Boyd and Greene
    Snakes for Ray and Bradley
    Rockies for Gray and Oberg

9. Jeremy Williams

Armenteros may be a key cog in the wheel. I don't consider him a thrown in.

texans1095 likes this.
  10. Jeremy Williams

I'm not sure I trust Thor. He's been one of the most injury-prone SP in recent history, and his command has been terrible this year.

I do think our FO may see the writing on the wall with Tucker in light of their commitment to Straw. For the first time, I see Tucker as a possible trade candidate, especially if we have intentions of extending Springer.

HTown2017Champs and texans1095 like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL

12. awc713

awc713 Member

I would not trade Tucker for Minor, Marco G, Boyd or Gray. If we trade Tuck, it needs to be for a legit 1 or 2...not an innings eater. Ray and Bradley is interesting, though.

texans1095 likes this.
  13. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

I don’t see the FO trading Tucker. Luhnow said they don’t look to be trading their top prospects, Tucker’s value is at the lowest it’s ever been outside of April (ie the worst time to trade a player), the Astros already have a #3 pitcher this year, and pitchers will be less costly in the offseason. Finally, they’re already at the tax with rising salaries to the point their most valuable players are those with high WAR while still years away from arbitration, like Alvarez. You can’t trade for players like that. They certainly shouldn’t be trading them away.

#1093 Tuk88, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Marteen likes this.
  14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

After the Pressly trade I would be afraid to trade too.

15. HTown2017Champs

And, despite his high velo, his peripherals (spin rates, FIP, etc.) are nothing special, meaning, this season is no fluke. He is a big name, but hasn't been the same, and given his spin rates and pitch arsenal, isn't the prototypical Strom reclamation project. I mean, if he can teach him to get more spin, or sees a flaw in his mechanics, then yeah, but honestly, Syndergaard does not excite me that much.

texans1095 likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or the Cole trade... or even the Verlander trade (nobody thought he still had perennial cy young pitching left in him).

Other than Carlos Gomez, pretty much everybody this team has acquired has gotten better.

I also think players should get some of the credit... as when a team trades you, you definitely start to do some self-reflection and figure out that you may need to adjust/change/improve otherwise nobody would ever want to part with you.

Nook likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Noah has a FIP less than 3 for his career. All Astros have to do is get him back to average self. That said, fans probably like him more than teams as teams probably fear injuries more for pitchers.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There are leaks... then there are NY media leaks, that are 85% fantasy, 10% some truth, 2.5% not even English, and 2.5% smells like urine.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wouldn’t trade Tucker for those guys straight up either, but the relievers coming back with each would be high value players and fill a need this year and beyond.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

As I like to point out, the Astros' entire starting OF will be free agents after next season - so I view Tucker as a damn-near necessity as I don't expect, frankly, any of the three to be back.

Having said that, If they have no shot at retaining Cole, yeah - I'm with you on Syndergaard/Tucker and for it being as much about '20 & '21 as '19 (though it'll be awesome for '19, too.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.