1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kemp DFA’ed

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I also think White's skillset hurt him. If he was someone who hit the ball 450 ft., like the stereotypical fat first baseman usually can, I think fans would have been more understanding. But an overweight, slap singles hitter just doesn't quite check out.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I am a bit surprised... I was expecting some injured list manipulations to artificially create some depth because the chances of EVERYONE staying healthy are kinda slim...

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Not surprised. If Kemp could run as fast as Straw we probably keep him through this year. Kemp is a pretty good bench player, so it shows how much talent we have on this team. I would think there would be a number of teams interested in Kemp.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It's a shame but we are just stacked. Seems like he would make a good 4th or 5th OF plus backup 2B, especially in the NL where I think he'd be a useful pinch hitter.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In the long run, this is better for Kemps career.

He wasn't gonna get much PT here unless there was a wave of injuries, and Straw was certainly gonna take his possible spot in October.

I think he's gonna go somewhere and get some regular playing time to try and establish himself. This team is just too loaded.

Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Seems like we could have traded him for a minor league pitcher or something. I guess since we still were able to trade White it's still on the table. No clue how DFA works.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

THIS!

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You get a week to do something with him. If nothing happens in that week, he is essentially a free agent

Nook, T for 3 and The Real Shady like this.
  9. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

I can’t make out any text. I had no clue of it’s relevance when posted in the trade thread and I am no clearer now.

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Mic drop...

11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Thank you, I have no clue what I am looking at here?

12. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

At this point, I think they might be ready to give Tucker another shot over keeping Kemp, when and if someone gets hurt. It's not like Kemp was tearing it up.

13. plee

plee Member

Mainly, production. We were not getting much from White and some of his at bats were just ugly. With Kemp, he showed discipline at the plate and could help you in multiple positions. On normal teams, probably could have keep both but the Astros are pretty loaded. There will be more difficult decisions (like with Morton) in the future... I guess it's better to have make these decisions than not.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

15. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

16. HTM

HTM Member

Thank your for your service Tony! I hope everything works out for you.

raining threes likes this.
  17. SuraGotMadHops

Kemp was in shape.

I really am surprised by this, I was certain they would just send down Straw since he has options then call him back up in September.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’m a little surprised and disappointed. Kemp obviously isn’t an all world talent, but dude did whatever was asked of him. I get it, I do. It’s most likely better for the Astros moving forward, but loved him in the clubhouse.

Wherever he ends up, I hope he gets to play everyday and excels. Best of luck.

raining threes likes this.
  19. SemisolidSnake

Sucks, but inevitable. As I've been saying for years, the Luhnow-Hinch Astros don't get rid of players without giving them every chance to prove why they should stay on board. When the time comes, no one including the player can say "I'm confused why this happened."

Like everyone, I was rooting for Kemp. But I also think this is on him. He failed to distinguish himself in a way that stood out. I'm honestly kind of disappointed. He's not a power hitter, so it was crucial he get on base more than he did. I mean, you've got to make that happen by working on your pitch selection so you can walk more and maybe learning to bunt for hits and anything that can play to your strengths. He's not as raw fast as Straw, but he could've worked on being more of a threat on the bases. I mean, Straw is faster and has been working on getting on base as much as possible; that's the obvious choice at this point if one of them has to go.

Just like with White, I hope someone picks him up and he has a solid career. There are surely teams where a Tony Kemp could be an asset. But both those guys have got to work on making themselves shine regardless of what team they're on. They weren't just outshone by everyone else on this loaded team; they didn't shine bright enough on their own.

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Not entirely sure what you're implying here, because to pretty much everyone of us the answer is obvious. Tony Kemp was simply better than Tyler White was this year...

• WHITE: .225 / .320 / .330 / -0.5 WAR (yes, that's negative point 5) - 1B/DH only.
    • KEMP: .227 / .308 / .417 / .6 WAR - 2B/LF/CF/Pinch Runner
    I didn't even mention the fact that he's 5'5 and an obvious clubhouse favorite. The hugs for homers, man!

Just curious... what was the answer you "probably already" knew?