1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Talk about cheap ownership

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Tillman Fertitta is worth 5.2 billion, Lol

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Like, I kinda care, man...

kjayp likes this.
  3. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Until James Harden believes that the owner is cheap and doesn't put winning first, nothing is going change.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm sure the entire league and all player agents are well aware of the tax-ducking situation here. harden's buddy house was exiled from the team in the middle of last season as a direct consequence of the owner's cheapness

5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Fans of the warriors are ecstatic about warriors ownership handling of taxes. That's simply because they have been willing to spend the money every year, including this one.

Warriors are paying the repeater tax this year. They are right at the apron. About 7 million over the luxury tax.

Had they not traded for Russell and instead just use their mle, kept Iggy, they could've avoided the tax. But even with Klay injured, Durant leaving, Russell not being a for sure fit/star... The warriors spent the money.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya i'm assuming they'll swap russell for covington later in the year

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Honestly, man -- - nobody cares about the clever hot takes @Pat is parodying. Now those are dumb af.

AroundTheWorld, Smacktle and kubli9 like this.
  8. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Exactly! Tilman will do anything to win a 'Ship, including taking on $40 million in Westbrook salary. Give $12 millions to a G League player in House.

Meanwhile, Cheap Warriors own Waive Livingston to save $7 millions and to avoid Luxury Tax. Give away Iggy and a 1st round pick to get under Salary cap. Now Memphis is going to get another 1st round pick for Iggy! Memphis will get 2 1st round pick for Iggy because the Warriors owners are so cheap that they needed to get rid of Iggy and not take any salary on.

Traded for Russell only to get hard cap so they don't have to add any more salary. And you know they will trade Russell on 12/15 to save even more money!

CHEAP ASS OWNERS WARRRIORS

Thank god we have Tilman who will spend any amount of money to win. That's what happen when you have VC boyz like the Warriors owner. They trade the team like it's a company to max profit

9. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I’m actually tired of hearing about Tilman being cheap . Everyone keep calm and enjoy the season ! Go Rockets !!

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Isiah Thompson?

11. wesbound

wesbound Member

Please don't compare anyone to James Dolan. I'm from NYC but a Rockets fan... Dolan is a true pos & the reason why the knicks are still shitty.
    MSG pays zero f*cking tax & Dolan makes a killing even when the knicks are bottom feeders.
    They have ppl attending games regardless of how shitty or good the team is. So many seats are used & pay by companies to give out to clients & i was one of the main recipients of getting multi tix to $350 seats numerous time when i was still with the company.

Heaven seats were going for $20-40, and once the team has a good stretch for instance Linsanity... the price for heaven seats sky rockets to $100+. We're talking about heaven seats all the way to the top!

My point is knicks are making money even when the team is bottom feeders & dolan is just a pos that gives zero **** about the knicks.
    Knicks fan hate his a**.

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

You guys do realize the Rockets have the 4th highest payroll in the NBA right?

Only Portland GS and OKC are higher.

Tillman ain’t that cheap.

You guys just go at that guy daily for some odd reason.

Clippers payroll is 15th lakers 20th

I guess Balmer and the Buss family are too cheap to want a chip.

Is iggy really the missing link to a chip? Do you guys that say Tilman is cheap really think that?

I don’t know Tillman so I don’t know if he’s cheap or not but I do know he’s spent way more than les ever did and the rockets have been really freaking good and lost to a juggernaut let’s see what happens this year.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This post / thread should be nominated for worst post of the week / month or whatever that thread is.

Its so out of context …. its turribl.

Smacktle and ISOBall like this.
  14. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

CF is a great place to kill a few brain cells over the offseason

burlesk likes this.
  15. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Wasn’t Durant signed and traded for Russell after he made it clear that he didn’t want to stay? I’m not sure they’re under the tax now.

16. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Wow its really come to this

Landry's staff working double overtime

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I guess those three championship rings make him too tired to reach for his wallet.

18. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

LMAO

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

IMHO the cheapness can be tolerated, what is even more damning is his desire to meddle when he has little knowledge what is going on in this league.

Let the pros do their job, keep your son away!

Gray_Jay likes this.
  20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I agree that it's a dumb comparison, but two things...

1.) We don't get to pick and choose when hypotheticals count. If you're going to count the Warriors (reportedly) offering Durant the full max, you also have to consider that Tilman was willing to go into the tax for Butler, for Temple/Green at the deadline before Memphis pulled out, for Markieff Morris had he accepted Houston's offer after being bought out, etc. Some (not close to all) of Houston's payroll situation is circumstantial, just as it is with regards to Golden State's current payroll.

2.) Trading for Russell hard capped GS at the apron, which can be a convenient excuse for an owner not to go far into the tax. With that said, knowing what we know now, I do wish the Rockets had used the NT-MLE for the same reason.

joshuaao, Deuce, Pat and 1 other person like this.