1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Mavs interested in Andre Iguodala trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 4, 2019.

1. thekad

thekad Member

Oh man, Aminu signed for only $9 million a year to be a backup on a mediocre team? For some reason I assumed he stayed in Portland. Incredible missed opportunity.

I suppose it’s possible that stupidly trying to blow up the team for Jimmy “Fireworks” Butler could have froze the Rockets early on, but that’s really a killer.

joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Kevon looney wasn’t ever coming here he wants to start but his 5m a year is a value deal and he would have been a nice pick up.

Aminu just signed for almost 10m annually, carrol signed for a shade under 7m annually

Not sure how we sign any of those player. But yes aminu especially would be nice additions.

We didn’t have the cap space to begin with to sign any of those guys.

Morey did great imo being able to bring back house and rivers when most experts thought rivers was going to command more than all of what we had to offer to begin with.

Iggy would be nice get but not at 17m even though it is expiring I know right we could have done that loophole deal with the Westbrook trade but who knows maybe the griz didn’t want to play ball.

Personally I think Iggy is overrated he’s stepped up in the playoffs for GS but he’s not even the 4th reason they’ve been so good the last few years once they got KD. Plus he seems to get hurt every postseason. He’s 35 with a ton of miles on his league. Good vet and experience but I think with iggy it’s jore name than game moving forward. The guys talked about retirement for 2 years straight. I wouldn’t be surprised if the only reason he’s even playing this season is because he’s getting paid 17m.

He’s rich and a 3x champ he doesn’t have to do this anymore and I don’t think he wants to.

The only teams with higher salary for this season as of now on BBR is Portland at 1 GS at 2 and OKC at 3 with Houston at 4.

We’re spending a ton of $$$$

Denver is at 7 their next best team after the top 4

Bucks are at 9

Philly is at 14

Clippers 15

And lakers at 20

So the two favorites out west are middle to bottom 3rd in payroll and the favorites out east are 9th and 14th.

I’m not seeing how spending just to spend helps you win a chip unless you think Portland GS and Houston should all be favored over the clippers and lakers.

Their is a lot of garbage teams in the top 15 that won’t come close to making the playoffs.

Being fiscally responsible is more important to winning then throwing money to mid level players imo.

Obviously you have to have the talent but the rockets do, Our top 8 is very strong. It’s hard to find a better 8 than houston right now maybe Denver and the clippers? Bucks?

That’s probably it and outside of the clippers rockets have the best top end talent of those teams.

We’ll see what happens but I don’t expect much I think this our roster unless something to good to be true falls in our lap.

And that’s okay.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

All excellent points!

lionaire, lilbird20 and Nook like this.
  4. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

So in conclusion, the Grizzlies do all of this, Shumpert goes to a non contender, all for a late first.....

LOL

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't know why you're acting like this is some foreign concept. Teams buy draft picks all time, and usually much lower ones than a pick in the 20s. The question is whether there's a number that works for both parties, that's all. Also, Shumpert isn't a bad basketball player -- he was a definite contributor to the Kings a season ago, for an example. He'd have some value for Memphis.

And Shumpert going to a non-contender — if his market value otherwise is the minimum ($2 million), I think the vast majority of players would prefer getting, say, a 500% pay increase over playing for a "contender." Not sure why you're acting as though that's some huge sacrifice on his part. And he'd probably get bought out in February, anyway.

I agree it's probably not going to happen now, because the ideal window was during the Westbrook trade -- when Shumpert's "number" could have been lower. But I don't know what you need to be a condescending ass about it. It's not an "LOL" concept.

6. Bravoexo

Bravoexo Member

I think Morey needs to offer Shamorie or Chris Clemons...or both, to get this SnT done...

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

This isn't going to happen before the season starts unless a team overpays.

Grizzlies know any contender out there could use a Iggy off their bench. He's still an athletic freak when he's healthy, although he may be on his last legs.

amaru likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

• Contenders make the most sense for Iggy, clearly.
    • I don't see any team willing to offer a FRP for Iggy. And that is what Memphis is holding out for. Keep in mind MEM already got 1 FRP from GSW to take on the contract.
    • 2 second round picks seems like the appropriate price. (then the lowest matching salary or into someone's TPE.)
    • MEM is going to have to get their roster down to 15 players by training camp, SO that might be a key inflection point.
    • Does MEM bring Iggy to camp and take him into the season? You would think Iggy's agent would want to work with MEM to get something done befor the season.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

SnT Shump & FRP for Iggy and Bruno.

jch1911 and Chamillionaire like this.
  10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It was never going to happen because the owner is not going to pay big tax. LOL at anyone believing he will when he consistently shows that he won’t. Actions > Talk

11. Mr Chuck Norris

Iggy had in achillies injury in the playoffs last year. and he's 35. I legit don't know why everyone is clamoring for him. A wing that can't shoot and is coming off an achillies.

12. rockets13champs

Achilles?? Never heard That

13. Mr Chuck Norris

Well it was labeled a calf strain but so was Kevin Durant’s when we know damn well it was an Achilles.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Rocketsfan3422

No one wants Iggy at 15 Mill and a first round pick... Memphis is a trash org and don't learn from past mistakes. They let evens walk while they got nighting in return. Let them repeat history with iggy

#274 Rocketsfan3422, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Mr Chuck Norris and hakeem94 like this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, who’s this “we” of which you speak?

Deuce likes this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

If the Grizzlies wanted those guys, they could just wait until the end of training camp and sign them both once the Rockets cut them.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. Mr Chuck Norris

Anyone who watched the injury vs Houston and seen KD grab his Achilles, it was never a calf.

BigggReddd and hakeem94 like this.
  18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I've been saying this since the start of free agency. Yes! we would've been better off with aminu or carrol this year and over the next 4 years, instead of trying to trade picks to pay iggy $17M for 1 year after coming off an achilies injury at 35yo. if we wanted to spend another pick, add it to the westbrook trade for grant. cheaper, younger, healthier, better shooter than iggy.

everyone yelled at me about not wanting to be hard capped but we're not going over that number this year anyway.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

They're giving 2 guys like 75 million dollars combined. Of course it's one of the higher payrolls in the league. Still doesn't disprove the fact that ownership has not maximized this group's window of competing. Players have been available that have been let go elsewhere because we deem it not worthy of going into the tax.

Icehouse likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don’t blame them. We’re a smart organization, not the Knicks