1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Houston Rockets exist if Steve Patterson didn't resign Hakeem in 1993?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 21, 2019.

?

What happened if Dream didn't resign?

1. Les moves team to Kentucky cause nobody showed up to watch a Dream less Rockets team

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. Les tries to save money and copies the Clippers, moves Rockets to Dallas and shares stadium

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. Yao Ming gets drafted by the Mavericks, Les is jealous, moves team to China

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. No Championships, No Clutchfans, the fake fans stay on RealGM

27 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Hakeem Olajuwon doesn't Love Les, remember when Les and Carroll Dawson gave a bad contract to Kelvin Cato.
    Hakeem wanted a bigger contract, Les said no, and Hakeem goes off to Toronto for more money, Hakeem in that hideous purple Raptors jersey was a nightmare time for me.

tinman and RayRay10 like this.
  2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

What? Because you saw Patterson and he acknowledged you, that makes everything ok? He suspended Olajuwon and tried to run him out of town but since he said "hi" to you then all is forgiven?

Not sure why you'd mention the "pre H days". Olajuwon added the "H" to his name in '91 which is prior to the Patterson suspension. A real Rocket Fan would have known that, right?

You don't sound like much of a real Rocket fan to me.. Maybe we should appeal for Clutch to remove your account as you're so fond of doing. You might be the longest tenured troll account on the board. A Steve Patterson fan masquerading as a Rocket fan.

Patterson was a smug jerk and Charlie Thomas fired him because that's what every Steve Patterson employer ends up doing. Did Les Alexander walk by you without saying "hello" or something?

AXG, Richie_Rich and IBTL like this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member

wow cuts deep

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Charlie Thomas didn’t fire him
    Les did (well documented)
    Patterson’s last tenures weren’t great in college

You don’t have to like him to respect the great moves he did and the time he spent with the organization

Les not only took credit for the title later the took the trophies to Florida

Tilman wouldn’t do that

#44 tinman, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah there was a chance Dream was going to be traded but it didn’t happen and logic and a big contract magically cured everyone’s problems

Then Charlie Thomas sold the team
    Les Fired Patterson
    His team won the title with the majority of players he drafted or and his coach he promoted after he fired don chaney

Yeah I gave Steve Patterson props when I saw him
    Cause I know what he did

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who made the call to draft Cassel and sign Elie?

That basically solidified the championship core... that guy deserves a ton of ****ing credit.

rockets1995 and tinman like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

@Rasheed @Jontro
    Steve Patterson!

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: SUN 12/19/1993
    Section: Sports
    Page: 12
    Edition: 2 STAR

Steve Patterson proud of Rockets

By EDDIE SEFKO
    Staff

You've heard about the guy who spent all day washing and waxing his new set of wheels, forgetting that it was a rental car?

Steve Patterson knows the feeling well. Patterson isn't around to see the finished product that he and his father spent the better part of two decades building, accessorizing and polishing. Patterson was fired as the Rockets' general manager after Leslie Alexander took over as owner.

But it must be noted that the potentially ugly Hakeem Olajuwon contract dispute had been resolved and key acquisitions Mario Elie and Sam Cassell had been reeled in while Patterson called the shots for the Rockets.

He poured the foundation, erected the beams and girders and did everything but slap on the final coat of paint on this palatial mansion of a season the Rockets are having.

"I'm real proud of the job Rudy and the staff and players have done," Patterson says. "Obviously, the guys I worked with for a long time over there are like family members. Between Ray (his father) and I, we put 20 years toward building something, and we want to see it do well.

"It's the best team in the league, and that's very gratifying."

Patterson is immersed in the business of bringing a minor-league hockey franchise to Houston, work he says is progressing nicely. Assuming lease negotiations come to fruition with The Summit, the Houston hockey team will start play next fall.

But the legacy of Patterson is this season's Rockets. He took his share of abuse for the way he handled certain things on the basketball and business sides of the organization. But for performance, how can anybody knock the job that has led to this fantastic ride through the first quarter of the NBA season?

Even so, Patterson knows how these things work. General managers get fired. That's one of the clauses in the contract when they are hired.

Though he, his father, former owner Charlie Thomas and Tomjanovich made most of the crucial decisions about how this team would be built, but Patterson says he doesn't feel the need to call this his team.

"I don't think that's the case," he says. "It's the city of Houston's team. Players come and go, general managers come and go, and owners come and go. But a lot of the fans have been with this team for years and years. It's great to see them have a team they can be proud of.

"I thought we'd have a good year. We got most of the problems cleaned up. The guys we acquired were tough-minded, good defensive players in terms of Cassell and Elie.

"Those were big acquisitions in terms of the mental health of the ballclub. And I think it's best that Sleepy (Floyd) got a chance to go somewhere else.

"It's tough for a guy who had been an All-Star to go what he went through. He conducted himself well, but it wasn't like having a guy who really wants to be here."

The Rockets have a team of players and coaches who want to be part of whatever it is that waits out there for this team. It could be a title.

Now the Rockets have a whole team of players and coaches who very much want to be part of whatever it is that is waiting out there for this team. It could be a championship.

As Patterson said, it is the best team in the NBA.

It brings up an interesting question: If the Rockets go on and win a title, would Patterson (and Thomas) deserve a championship ring?

"I don't know. I really hadn't thought about it," Patterson said. "I guess not since I'm not with the team anymore."

Not with the team anymore, indeed. But its architect nonetheless.

8. Homey the Clown

I know it's the WNBA, but this is the same city that had the league's first titles by winning 4 straight from 1997-2000. Houston Comets. Look at what happened to them. Anything is possible.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Worrying the details is unnecessary. Worrying that anyone anywhere could forget or diminish that man’s abilities and accomplishments is I fathomable.

10. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

You should rename your handle to OWNED. Cuz you is getting OWNED by everyone outta here, newbs and 99ers

Fake Rocket fan tinman.

Aspiring Player likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

Dream wiped the floor with Jordan’s bulls lying in surrender every time they played.

What everyone forgets is that we played them every year in the regular season and the matchup problem was Hakeem not the other way around

12. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Troof!

13. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

That’s why it’s so unfortunate they never met in the Finals. Hakeem just might have been MJ’s cryptonite. That said, the Sonics’ were Hakeem’s.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

One of my life’s great (sports) regrets is how the ‘97 team shot itself in the uh, knee and foot and didn’t square off v Chicago Jordanaires in da Finals (sigh).

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Matt Maloney
    Plus bear hugging Karl Malone

16. Aspiring Player

@tinman you talk big but tell me the truth, have you ever even played the game? unless you know what it takes, you are coming across as a supporter of tilman only.

BeardNation13 likes this.
  17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Steve Patterson lol - possibly the most toxic GM/AD possibly in the history of sports.

Tried to trade Dream for Seikaly and scrubs.
    Ran out of town in Portland
    Made two horrendous hires in Charlie Strong and Shaka Smart; brought in jet pack man pre-game
    Got fired in less than 2 years at Texas after alienating every last big money donor at Bellmont

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Games 6 & 7 v Sonics.

Chuckles not getting KJ to un retire.

A January knee just when his stride was being hit.

Blowing 16 point 2nd 1/2 lead in Game HuggaHugga 6 v Utes.

Enough? Or is more pain requisite?..

tinman likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

Barkley played his butt off for us and newbs never got that experience
    He wanted a title

And for Les to screw him like that was wrong

xiki likes this.
  20. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Les is a lizard.