1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Who's having these "discussions"? He's under contract and prohibited from having such discussions...

(Psst... they're paying Justin Verlander $33MM/year.)

raining threes and desihooper like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m sure $200M+ is the number Cole has asked the Astros for.

WRT Verlander making $33M/yr, that’s partially the point. Houston can not afford to have $65M+ tied up in 2 starting pitchers.

Nook likes this.
  3. Hey Now!

OK; but that's not what he posted... There are discussions of him "getting" 7/$200MM - "getting" - someone is going to pay him 7/$200MM. That's different from him, say, wanting 7/$200MM. (And maybe that's what Nook meant; but, again, that's not what he posted.)

I thought about that, and it might very well be the case. But, again: that's not what he posted *and*... How do we know the Astros can't afford to sign two pitchers for $60MM?...

eric.81 likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd rather take two pitchers the team/staff/coaches/players know very well for $60 million... vs. signing (or acquiring) another guy who makes maybe slightly less, but has some risk involved, whether its stuff or injury.

That said, I don't think the Astros go 7 years for anybody. 3-4 years? Probably... but the pitcher also has to agree to that.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros future budgets (including risk tolerance) are highly dependent on whether the Astros win the 2019 World Series.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

We don’t “know” much of anything for certain wrt payroll cap. But we can reasonably estimate that they won’t go much beyond $200M. And factoring in the large contracts given to Verlander, Altuve, and Bregman, along with pending arbitration contracts for Springer and Correa, it’s hard to see room for another large $25M/yr+ deal. Back of the napkin, they are at ~$175M next season without adding any free agents; that’ll likely be higher after they trade for an arb eligible pitcher next week.

Nook likes this.
  7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Said this many times.... totally agree with this.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Who is discussing the $200,000,000 number? ESPN, Peter Gammons and Jonah Keri all have said that Cole is looking at a contract in excess of $200,000,000. That is a lot of money and a lot of years for an organization like the Astros to dish out. Especially when you consider that Cole has multiple times said he has attempted to negotiate with the Astros without an offer from the Astros.

If you believe that the Astros are going to extend Garrett Cole at over $30,000,000 a year for 6-7 years, then good luck. Also the Astros paying Justin Verlander over $30,000,000 (it is a way shorter deal) makes it less likely that the Astros pay Cole another $30,000,000 a year. Having $63,000,000-$65,0000,000 a year spent on two pitchers isn’t feasible.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Ask Charlie Morton.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Short term, no question. If the Astros make more money then they will spend more money. Ownership has been clear about that.

Long term? I question how much difference that makes. Especially when you are discussing a 6-7 year contract at a high number.

11. Hey Now!

OK; so idle speculation from outsiders; that's a far cry from "getting" the 7/$200MM, isn't it?...

Do we.... know that?... Isn't the generally accepted narrative that the Astros have kicked the tires on an extension and he's told them he wants to try free agency?...

Here's Cole in March refuting *any* extension talk:
    And here he is at the All-Star game last week discussing his free agency plans:
    We're in the midst of what's been a depressed free agent market the past two years - granted, neither featured a prize as good as Cole. But are we *sure* he's "getting" 7/$200MM, putting him out of the Astros' price range?...

I'm not actively trying to be snarky, I promise - but you keep moving the goal posts. First of all, 7/$200MM does *not* equal $30MM/year (it's around ~$28.5 MM/year, which is $10.5MM difference; not chump change). Semantics, maybe - but now, you've moved on to "over" $30MM.... all based on idle speculation.

12. Hey Now!

I would, if I could. My guess is that he'd say something like, "I'm not 27; I have a long history of injuries; I broke down last year and any team would be right to my sustainability."

13. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think even if he doesn't come back, we can piece together a 5th starter (provide we trade for 1 more starter)
    we wouldn't truly need peacock until the playoffs as a relief guy

PS how much does it suck that Lance is hurt, we would basically just need a backup catcher (or maybe starting) and we would be all set
    PPS how awesome would it have been had Morton and McCain stayed with the stros. we should start a what if thread

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Idle speculation? What the hell did you expect; he is under contract currently. A number of people around the game expect him to get a contract in the range of $200,000,00.

I’m not “moving any goal posts”. The expectation is that he will get a 6-7 year contract in excess of $200,000,000.

Garrett Cole said there has been no contract negotiations.... Before the Astros extended Verlander they were interested in an extension according to reports.

I don’t even know what exactly your point is.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Interesting that the Astros didn’t or couldn’t match a 2/30 contract offer for Charlie Morton (Michael Brantley got the 2/30) but will offer another pitcher 200 Million over 6-7 years.

raining threes likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Well..if you’re going to be picky and go by what he posted, then at least be accurate. He posted ‘discussions of 7 years OVER $200,000,000’.

Nook likes this.
  17. Hey Now!

If you were merely speculating, cool. I read it as something more substantive.

Dude, I let the first one slip.... It's Gerrit.....

You're comparing apples to bowling balls. You also don't know that the Astros didn't/couldn't offer CFM 2/$30MM - were they even given a chance to match it? Maybe they offered 2/$35MM and he turned them down because his priority was to be in Florida?

Regardless, Gerrit Cole is 7 years younger than Charlie Morton, with a much longer track record of success and health. Not paying a 35-yo Morton $30MM does *not* mean they'd balk at paying a 27-yo Cole $30MM/year.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't have much of an opinion on this matter (though I do have thoughts). Cole will likely sign for 6-7 years so some team can defer short term money to the long term for tax purposes. No team is going to pay Cole $160-170M (or whatever he's worth) for 4 years plus luxury tax payments when for likely less actual money spent (or not having to jettison/not sign $14 million/year in contracts over the short term) they can sign Cole to a 6-7 year deal for ~$200 million. I think the short term value that Cole has will likely break bank whether spent over 4 years or 7 years in comparison to Luhnow's risk tolerances. That said, I have very little idea how much more a World Series Championship brings in or how Crane will react to winning another championship.

P.S. These numbers are made up using a $10M/WAR number and meant only as a rough ballpark for discussion purposes only...not accuracy.

On Morton, his injury risk is sky high, and not a good example of what Astros are willing to pay a 2nd pitcher.

#918 Joe Joe, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  19. Hey Now!

Yep; noticed that second go-around. I think it was a combination of the way he phrased it and they way I interpreted that phrasing that drew me down a different path.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.