1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump’s Electoral College Edge Could Grow in 2020, Rewarding Polarizing Campaign

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Ah no, when you lose, you concede and hand over peacefully. That's the tradition and norm. TRADITION and NORM - something this president does not respect. The system also expect those in power to do the right thing. DO THING RIGHT THING - something the GOP in Congress has refuses to do when facing Trump.

So as I said, claim one of the two I mentioned, or both. Declare an investigation is needed. The GOP in congress may stay silent, or even back him up. The DOJ may stay silent or even back him up with some data. Lawsuit happens. Court may side with him. Who knows. The point is he is willing to try and not hand over peacefully ("try to stay in power"). And of course, that's just the obvious ways based on what Trump has already publicly stated... there could be other revenues.

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

BTW I forgot to acknowledge that paper ballot are a good idea and not just to hacking by any source. Pete?!!! Why for gods sake? He is a phony narcissistic corporatist.. I would rank him near the bottom of the 20.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is good news for wipipo.

Almost took their threats of going back to Europe seriously.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I distinctly remember this same prediction back in 2016. It was instead the democrats who cried foul the whole time and declared Trump an illegitimate president and have been pushing for impeachment before he took office. And that was a decisive victory for Trump.

I would call this a bold prediction, but its almost certain; Regardless who wins the presidency, the other party will do their damn best to manipulate the legal system into delegitimize the results of the election.

That said, the Presidency is not some magical conk of power that is required to be handed off from one President to another. It will be resolved legally.

This is why its important for the Democrats to put up a candidate who will serve the entire nation, not openly campaign to one group. The democrats identity politics have completely screwed up their party that they can't stop themselves from putting up a candidate that serves more than 50.01% of the population. Democrats ****ed up with Hillary and they are about to **** up again with their 20 candidate **** pool.

BruceAndre and cml750 like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't you think that criticism should first be applied to Republicans?

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You are confusing congressional and DOJ investigations of a sitting president and public discourse with peaceful and timely handling of power from one president to the next.

Public discourse happen all the time as well as investigations, both with good merits and sometime politically motivated toward a sitting president.

Obama was president in 2016 and he handed over peacefully, just like the previous president before him and so on. Not handling power over has NOT happen before. It’s NOT normal or expected, but I and many others are expecting it this time under certain conditions based on the words and actions from Trump himself

And if it does happen, it’s is NOT ok.

#46 Amiga, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  7. Space Ghost

Let me get this straight. The Republicans should fix their party before the Democrats should consider thinking about fixing their problems, ones that are starting to mimic the exact problems the RNC is currently going through ... complete discourse ran by the zealots.

8. biff17

biff17 Member

An investigation would need to come by the house.

And you can't just stay in office as President because you want to contest the results.

I agree he might go peacefully and orderly but there is nothing he can do to actually stay in office.

The DOJ has no power to overturn election results.

I understand what you are saying about Trump contesting the results of the election but there is no actual mechanism for him to retain the presidency.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see democrats running campaigns based on identity politics. Mostly, it is the right that makes those claims - but most of what comes out of the Democratic party is centered on health care, infrastructure, immigration reform, uplifting the poor, and the environment. What happens is that the media and especially the right locks into anything identity related that comes up in the conversation from Dems. Basically they aren't allowed to talk about racial, gender, or sexual orientation issues at all or they are labeled as having an "identity politics only agenda" which is ridiculous.

The right on the other hand only panders to one group today - those who see immigrants as the biggest threat.

Democrats are not run by the zealots in their party. The zealots are just the ones who occupy the headlines in most right-wing media outlets.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The investigation of election fraud, or whatever the claims as reasons to not accept the result is not limited to congress.

The fbi is an investigative federal gov body under the DOJ.

He can issue EO similar to the one that he issued in may 2017 that established an election fraud committee, under the admin, to investigate voters fraud and irregularities.

He can get his lawyers and DOJ lawyers to file lawsuits and dispute the result - don’t underestimate the creative usage of laws for political win. As long as it’s in limbo he can try to stay in power. And as I said, the court, especially a partisan one, may side with him.

11. Space Ghost

Again, you're exposing your lack of knowledge how this country is ran. He has already tried EO's in the past that were immediately ruled against him.

The SCOTUS is the only ruling body that can allow Trump to execute these fantasies of yours. The SCOTUS has become very partisan over the years, thanks to both corrupt parties. However Trump is not popular to the point of SCOTUS allowing Trump to remain in office outside of legal and traditional means. There is simply not enough power in the Presidency to warrant this kind of fantasy.
    The Presidency is not a 4 year dictatorship. If one wants corruption and control, its bought through Congress, not a buffoon behind a Twitter account.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Starting investigations and filing lawsuits have nothing to do with the SCOTUS. Making ruling on those does.

Please learn to stick to the actual arguments instead of going off some personal tangent and personal attack.

13. Space Ghost

Starting investigations and filing lawsuits is not going to keep him in office indefinitely, especially starting investigations. Every election cycle inevitably has some type of lawsuit. It will be resolved.

If there is some freak case where its not resolved and a President has not been declared, we are w/out a President. Trump is not the defacto President. If he wants to be President after Jan 20th 2020, it has to be given to him legally, not because he holds the non existent magical stick of power kept in the oval office.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Agree. It can delay and only do that until the court eventually settle it.

Yes, lawsuits happen frequently but those are typically based on merits and has not ever happen with a sitting president as the challenger afaik. I’m arguing that trump, based on what he has said and done, under certain circumstances (a close election) will not step down and challenge the result based not on merits but bs reasons. I’m further saying that he can do that because he has the DOJ in his pocket and he has half of congress not willing to step up do the right thing. Furthermore, although I think it’s not likely, I cannot said that the court would not side with him. It’s partisan enough that with creative lawsuits, it can happen that he win the bs lawsuits and remain president.

I don’t think anyone know what happen in the freak case and I would said, in that environment, whoever is in power, has the better chance of maintaining their power - status quo continue until it get pushed one way or another.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm inclined to agree that SCOTUS is not so partisan that they'd allow any kind of extension on his term to resolve issues with an election, real or imagined. But, I also didn't think Trump would gaslight almost the entire Republican Congress, and somehow he has. So, I don't think it's all that paranoid anymore to be worried what the SCOTUS might do.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. biff17

biff17 Member

He can do all of that and it still will not keep him as President, that's not how it works.

If it's in limbo the elected President would still take over.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You need to explain your reasonings. It makes no sense to me.

18. biff17

biff17 Member

I have explained my reasonings.

There are no mechanisms or lawsuits that can keep him in office of he loses an election.

Just questioning results does not mean he gets to stay.

Yes he can make it messy but he can't give an executive order proclaiming he gets to stay.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Let's say he's running against Biden, and the CIA intercepts long Skype conversations between Biden and China's intelligence agencies in which they coordinate the hacking of the many vote counting systems in the various states, for which Biden promises to give China Taiwan and the Philippines. Biden goes on to win with 96% of the vote. You're telling me that he would still assume the presidency on January 20?

20. biff17

biff17 Member

No that's not what I am telling you.

What I am saying is that Trump can't just unilaterally create an executive order or file a law suit that will keep him in office.

I am surprised you took that from what I said.

I don't really know what would happen in that scenario but I think if he could only be removed through impeachment.

But not sure about that.