1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Correa for a young pitcher with team control

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Senator, Jul 18, 2019.

?

Poll

1. Yes

30.1%
  2. No

69.9%
  1. Senator

Senator Member

You think he will do in the future what Springer, Bregman, Altuve, brantley and Alvarez are doing now?

The Astros have a wealth of batting options in addition to strong supplemental players. What they don't have is stability with SP's down the road. Whitley could be great, he could not. Verlander could be elite past 39, he could not. Cole most likely will not resign as he will getting upwards of $150 million. Wade Miley could have another good season, he could not... and he'll be paid accordingly as he's on a 1 year contract.
    Lotta question marks.

Particularly in the playoffs, you need strong SP's no matter how great your batting lineup is. The Yankees, Twins, Red Sox, Dodgers, Braves etc. all have explosive batting lineups. Would be a shame to throw away a batting lineup with all the tools the Astros have without the aces to back it up next year and beyond.

astros123 likes this.
  2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I don’t think there are any teams with young, controllable proven MLB starters that would trade them for Correa anyway.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

He's untouchable in my book. The unquestioned leader of the team. And the guy you want at the plate when the game is on the line because of his focus and natural talent. He's the first guy out of the dugout. In a lot of ways I liken this to my long standing opinion on Gurriel. The opposing teams do not want to see him at the plate with the game on the line. Must keep. Our players trust him. And that's because of the focus. I rarely leave the data behind when evaluating, but Correa is one of them. He's worth the money. This team makes the playoffs with or without a great season from Correa, so what matters here is leadership in the playoffs.

Altuve and Springer are the heart and soul. Also must be kept. But Correa is the captain. He's everything. And pushes us over the top.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

Help win, yes.

I was being a little facetious on my initial reply, simply because neither of his entire 2 WS homers were the ultimate difference.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It’s not the concept that is annoying people... it’s targeting Correa.

Springer will be a free agent sooner than Carlos. He has also not given any indication of signing a long term deal yet. He’s actually a native New Enlgander, still has ties to the area, and grew up as a diehard Red Sox fan. The Red Sox could definitely use a RF who’s really a CF.

Yet nobody was clamoring to trade him after last year (when his value was high) or this year when he got injured.

Meanwhile, nonstop chatter about trading Correa after last year (when his value was low) and when he’s injured now (again, with low value), and he has two full years remaining after this one.

There is an irrational “dislike” of Correa on this board. Even though he has never talked about free agency, never had an issue in the clubhouse, never been a malcontent, and when healthy... he’s performed extremely well at a position where there ain’t a lot of elite talent in baseball.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Could the Astros trade their fans who think that this is a good idea for some new fans who think that this is a bad idea?

Asking for a friend.

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    I would not trade Correa. It's exceptionally difficult to get good hitting stats from 2B-SS-3B. A primary reason why the Astros have a long term competitive advantage is that we are STACKED at these positions with Altuve - Correa - Bregman. Hitting and fielding are outstanding from all of them. That is rare and a point of differentiation for this team. Filling in around this core is easier, because it's not as hard to find good hitting outfielders, DH, or 1B. Of the 2B-SS-3B positions, SS is the hardest to find hitting talent. So Correa is the type of player that has very high WAR and is difficult to replace.

GOOD DAY

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's insane that 31 people actually voted to want to trade Correa.

The hate for Correa in the BBS is probably the oddest thing I've ever seen on the BBS.

Are people THAT prone to being prisoners of the moment?

9. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Why is being open to exploring trades equivalent to hating Correa? From a portfolio perspective, the Astros are far richer in middle infield than they are in controlled starting pitching. If the right opportunity exists to balance the ledger, they should explore it.

For the record I strongly doubt such an opportunity exists, but being open to a conversation isn’t the same as hating Correa.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

If a trade were to happen, its a good thing Luhnow stacked up on two of those. Ya know, just in case.....

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For the umpteenth time, Correa is a better SS than Bregman and Bregman is a better 3B than he is a SS.

#71 Nick, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

But having some good prospects isn’t the same as having an All Star, former ROY shortstop who was having an All Star year until a freak thing happened (and is under team control for 2 more years).

I’m sure there is, theoretically, a trade out there that could make the Astros think about it...but it’s not one anyone is offering.

Hey Now! likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Edit: Wrote something here, but forgot what thread I was in. This is a stupid thread. Sorry for the interruption.

#73 Joe Joe, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

For the umpteenth time....? LOL, I didnt get the other memos. Who said I was comparing them? Was Bregman not drafted as a SS? What part of my post was incorrect, didnt I put a big "IF" in my post? Cause Bregman permanently at SS would be so turrible...... lulz..

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Guess you haven’t read the entirety of this thread and the dozen other strings about the “ease” of trading Correa since they have Bregman.

Theoretically, you could say the same thing about Springer given the ease of getting an OF or just bringing up Tucker.

It should be pointed out though, Bregman has some arm deficiency compared to league average SS. There are just some throws he can’t make on the run, While Correa makes them with ease.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It is settled then, time to trade Correa! You need to do the OPPOSITE of what TJ wants.

17. raj87

raj87 Member

A chap named Trader who doesn’t want to trade.

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

How can you not be excited about what this offense will look like when Correa returns?

19. what

what Member

The expectations that correa has for a new contract, coupled with the astros boon of offensive talent: Yordan (this kid is the second coming as far as I'm concerned, he's the best prospect that the astros have had since Altuve; he's even better than Bregman); plus the astros have Kyle Tucker just ready to come up at any minute, I think it would make sense to trade him, he clearly isn't as high of a priority as he once was.

The real question is will the astros give Springer a deal. Springer to me has earned a deal way more than bregman has and I feel that the astros are taking him for granted. He should have gotten a deal before bregman got his deal.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Springer has rejected extension attempts every step of the way... other than the 2 year lump sum arbitration-year-only deal.

I think fans are taking his signability for granted because of how well liked he is... and he has far more ties to the east coast than Correa does.

BigM likes this.