1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Changing Republican Party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Feb 4, 2018.

1. adoo

adoo Member

I am cool w that.

Opinions are like toe nails, everyone has them !

2. adoo

adoo Member

[​IMG]

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. cml750

cml750 Member

lol at the neverTrumpers paid by CNN and/or MSNBC to parrot whatever negative theme they are pushing.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They don’t have to try too hard to convey that theme of the current makeup of the party of Trump when your party leader just flat out says straight up racist crap.

And sorry but I gotta call out your avatar of someone kneeling at the cross. I was raised in the church. WWJD?? Not what you are doing that’s for sure.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Republicans have had their chances to denounce Trump's racist statements and actions and they haven't. They've made excuses and gone on record with the latest house vote. Republicans and his supporters are okay with acts of racism.

Deckard likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You should go back to early February, 2018, when this thread was begun by @FranchiseBlade, and read the entire thing, @cml750. It is filled with truly excellent posts. Even the very few I had some disagreements with are interesting. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why I didn't post in it a year and a half ago, and then I realized why. It fell squarely between my birthday and our anniversary, at least one of them (the more important one occurred during the 4th of July weekend of 1974, at Willie Nelson's second picnic, but that's another story altogether), and I was out of town with my significant other at a cabin outside of Fredericksburg. We go there every year and have better things to do than spending time on the internet. The cabin has a terrific hot tub surrounded by a stone wall. When the weather is good, clear and cold, you can lay back and see the Milky Way.

But I digress. Since I missed posting in it originally, I'll leave it with a suggestion that, again, you and anyone else interested in the political situation we currently find ourselves in, and much else that's interesting, take the time to read through it. It won't take long and has a variety of opinions.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People always wondered how so many Germans could stand by and do nothing when the Nazis began to exterminate Jews. Now we can see how firsthand. Many Republicans are just standing by and accepting what the other half of the party stands for.

Trump is a white nationalist and he has turned the Republican Party into one of white nationalism. There really isn't anything else to say.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

lol at snowflakes like you who get so triggered over criticisim of their god trump that they makes posts like this!

#49 jo mama, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.behindthebastards.com/podcasts/how-youtube-became-a-perpetual-nazi-machine.htm

I keep posting links to this podcast, but it is an interesting theory.

Essentially YouTube makes money by keeping you watching so they can pump ads at you. YouTube uses AI to suggest videos to make that happen. It turns out that the best way to keep people engaged is to keep showing slightly more extreme variations on what they've already been watching.

So one example is if you YouTube pervy videos of young ladies, it will start showing you pervier videos of younger and younger women until it recently flips you over to showing you home videos of literal children that parents made for grandma - essentially the side effect of keeping you engaged is encouraging pedophiles, because that is what makes YouTube the most money.

The same thing happens with political videos. You start with a video that one would call "traditionally Republican" and it slowly moves you on to Alex Jones and over many iterations then on to straight up neo-Nazi white nationalists.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

John McCain's concession speech in 2008 was very much an inflection point in the GOP. Listening to him praise and recognize the historical achievement of the moment, even at his own expense and to the ire of his supporters, was one of the last acts of the party of Lincoln and the party of Eisenhower. It was very fitting that standing next to McCain was Palin who helped to usher in the Nativist anti-intellectual party that it has become.

No Republican has shown that change than McCain's friend Lindsey Graham..

Has Trump changed since Graham said that or has Lindsey Graham?

That said I don't believe all Republicans and most definitely not all Conservatives are racist xenophobes. Traditional Conservatism isn't Trumpism. For those Conservatives who recognize this pay heed to Justin Amash.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

you guys love McCain until he ran against a democrat. not only is he a perpetual loser, if he were president now we would be bombing and possibly invading Iran.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great stuff there. I agree that not all Republicans are racists and xenophobes and definitely not all conservatives.

However, we have come to a point where the Republican members of Congress and anyone that votes for Trump is now saying that they are okay with racists and xenophobes whether or not they themselves are racists.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They're fighting a holy war against the Occasio-Ohman-Pelosi Axis of Evil. The Leftists Has Radicalised! Someone think of the American children!!!

Doing Gerd's Werk defendin the Homeland with Lucifer as their brightest star and champion

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I voted for McCain. I had tremendous respect for the man. It's a disservice to insult the man, but we know who will.

There is a difference between politics and hate. John McCain understood it better than anyone.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This isn't a special circumstance. You could have a Puppy running as a Democrat and a Baby running as a Republican and both sides would vilify the crap out of the other.

Getting kneecapped by Karl Rove in 2000 and then running into the Obama buzzsaw in 2008... I'm pretty sure most Republicans couldn't have overcome those things.

That threat looms consistently with almost every hypothetical Republican President save for Rand Paul.

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Absolutely..184 of the 188 in the Hous support his racist/divisive tweets. Shame on them. You can have some sympathy for folks who are hurting and blaming immigrants for their plight, but the millionaires in the GOP House are just morally defective. period.

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They don't care about having a racist as a president so long as it gets them re-elected. They are showing they will support any crime so long as it helps them hold onto power. In a way, they are worse than Trump.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure who "you guys" are in this post. I think the irony of McCain's legacy is that, though he was the epitome of a traditional conservative, he is now better liked by Democrats than by Republicans. Though he had policy ideas that liberals don't really like, it seems like most can respect him for wanting to do the right thing. Meanwhile modern day Republicans call him a loser and a RINO.

Doubt we'd be bombing Iran if McCain was president. I don't think he'd have torn up Obama's deal if he had inherited it. But, even in this conflict we have now, I have a thousand times more trust in McCain to navigate it wisely than I do in Trump, even with McCain dead.

mdrowe00, RayRay10 and VooDooPope like this.
  20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I have been thinking about the "Good" German" analogy. The suppport of the Repubs and 194 out of the 188 US Reps for Trump's tweets will be remembered in American history like the support for Bull Conor sicking dogs on AA students trying to integrate the University of Alabama, or was it Mississippi?

Sweet Lou 4 2 and FranchiseBlade like this.