1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Samsung QLED Q90R 65" TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Riz, Jul 18, 2019.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

2. body slam

body slam Member

65" why so big? how far are you sitting from it?

3. le081488

le081488 Member

I would but OLEDs aren’t that great for a super bright room.

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I agree with another poster. If you have a really nice, dark room or media room, an OLED is hard to beat. Most people don't realize how awesome a movie can be until they see "true black" on a screen.

For normal use, such as a family room or bedroom, a really nice LED (like the Samsung QLEDs at the higher range) look super great in rooms with light. I'd say 80-90% of TV watching for most people is in these types of conditions.

5. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Alright, got an update for those who care. I set up my new toy on Friday! I ABSOLUTELY love it! I was just missing out on this picture quality! Based on my 3 days of using the TV, I have to say that it's was a great investment and I'm glad I went with this. The TV itself looks beautiful and 65" in my tiny 800 sq ft apartment makes it feel even bigger. I don't think anyone can deny the excellent quality of the picture on this TV, and I just can't say enough, but let me point out one thing that stood out to me more than anything else and even caught me by surprise. The Samsung One Remote. I'm just blown away by this tiny, minimalist remote and its functionality. After the initial setup process, which btw is similar to iOS and Andriod setup process in its simplicity, Samsung automatically recognized all my HDMI connected devices (FireTV, PS4, Xfinity, Chromecast) and labeled them as such and of course recognized our Samsung Galaxy phones wirelessly. The One Remote controls all the devices without me doing anything else. It even controls my PS4 home screen! I have not used any other remote since the setup (went from 3 to 1). This tv also has Expert Setting for picture quality with tons of configuration options. There are numerous YouTube videos on configurations and even TV picture configuration professionals who will come out to your place and configure it based on the environment and lighting in the room. Anyways, when I get some time, I'll watch some videos and play around with the configurations to get the best out of this TV. The first movie I watched on this TV was LOTR from my LOTR Blu-Ray Extended Edition Bible. Over the weekend, I played NBA 2K 18 and Skyrim. Again, I'm coming from a 6-year-old plasma TV and this beauty and I'm just blown away.

Deckard likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Mine is 75". Still feels too small, but I was not unreasonable enough to pay for something bigger.

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

65" is a bit overkill for a 800 sq ft apartment lol you should be sitting about 9 ft away at that size. glad you're happy with it though. sounds like a sick tv

Riz likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got the LG B8 cause of this site

Deuce likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

What size?

55" B8s were going for $1000 recently.

#29 donkeypunch, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    tinman likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

I got it for $1000 on amazon

went from plasma, so I wanted the black levels to be great. very impressed. Even the TV sound is excellent.

11. donkeypunch

C8s were going for the same not too long ago too.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I got it in January

13. fallenphoenix

i highly recommend at least getting a sound bar. even the cheapest ones will put the tv sound to shame

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I bought a sound bar at some point. Probably one of the silliest purchases I have made. It's rotting somewhere.

Not doubting you, it just didn't do anything for me.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

I have one already. It’s a Polk audio. I’ll upgrade it at some point but it does the job now
    I use both tv and sound bar, the LG allows for it

fallenphoenix likes this.
  16. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I about 8-9 feet away from the TV, which for me is the perfect distance. Any further, I would feel a bit uncomfortable. I know this because my parent's TV is further than 10 feet and I always lean in to watch. I guess I'm used to it.

fallenphoenix likes this.
  17. fallenphoenix

Most TVs sound comes out of the back of it which means you're getting sound reflecting off your walls before it hits you. i guess if you have front facing speakers it wouldn't make much difference. at least for the old tvs, don't know about the new 8k ones as far as their sound quality

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's a good one! Good choice!

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I certainly understand your reticence regarding sound bars. The vast majority I’ve checked out over the years have been awful. While the better ones were superior to the sound produced by a TV, that wasn’t saying a whole lot. I have an old sound bar in a bedroom that’s a 3.1 Yamaha. Yamaha no longer makes them, but it’s pretty decent. It takes up little space, with the center speaker capable of enhancing voice, always a problem with sound bars. Recently, however, I listened to a Samsung HW-Q80R. It’s a 5.1.2 powered sound bar, with a wireless subwoofer. A pair of wireless rear speakers can be added. I didn’t hear it with the rear speakers, but the sound bar and the sub together were easily the best sound I’ve ever heard from a sound bar. It’s $1000.00 at Crutchfield on sale. Here are the specs.

Sound bar:
    • 13 built-in drivers powered by individual amplifiers
      • two side-firing drivers
      • two up-firing drivers for overhead effects
      • dedicated center channel for clear dialogue
    • Adaptive Sound mode enhances voice clarity at low volumes
    • Game Mode Pro boosts game sound effects
    • Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
    • UHQ 32-bit technology upsamples audio for improved sound
    • built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
    • 48-5/16"W x 2-5/16"H x 5-3/8"D
    • weight: 19.4 lbs.
    The wireless subwoofer is only 160W 8”, which could be improved upon, but it’s not bad. If someone wanted excellent sound and space was a problem, perhaps in a bedroom, I think it would be a good choice. I’m thinking about getting one for our bedroom. It would be easy to set up.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

I wanted all the formats
    Dolby vision and HLG and Samsung didn’t have Dolby vision
    You can use the YouTube app and check out the HLG demos
    Stunning stuff

Deuce likes this.