1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Correa for a young pitcher with team control

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Senator, Jul 18, 2019.

?

Poll

1. Yes

30.1%
  2. No

69.9%
  1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Is it even possible for a massage to break a rib? Highly unlikely.

2. Major

Major Member

Or maybe he doesn't care about brand as much as you want to believe. You decided first that he cares about brand. And then when he does things that don't fit that, you create new reasons to explain it away (he's a dumbass). Maybe then we need to reevaluate the original assumption. Maybe he just doesn't care what people think and just does what he (or his fiancee) wants. It's fits better with the evidence.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why is it his fault to have a personal massage therapist? Many athletes have personal massage therapists, cooks, trainers, etc.. Regardless of how the injury occurred, blaming the fact that he has a personal massage therapist is ridiculous.

FLASH21 likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

People's attitudes towards Correa around here will never not be weird to me. He had 2 excellent postseasons, and was a pivotal part of a f**king World Series champion, yet there has been a constant undercurrent of negativity towards him. And this started long before his PR snafu barrage this season.

People have disliked him because of what they assume he's going to do in the future and that boggles my mind

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

LOL no it doesn’t. Why do you think Correa did that YouTube video?

6. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I've seen this idea numerous times here, but it doesn't get less silly.

7. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

No way you trade him right now, hes an everyday player, possible MVP. Let's get him
    back and focus on the playoffs and cross that bridge when it makes sense to go there

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

Couple thoughts:

1. Would be okay with trading his fiancé (joking...stay happy, Carlos)

2. Carlos’ injuries, at the least, will help lower his arbitration costs, which is nice. Obviously want him to be healthy...but staying competitive without him *and* not paying him 20mil a season isn’t bad. Maybe the money we save via arbitration could go towards locking him, Cole, or Springer up.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just for the record, when I posed my Correa question here, it was hypothetical to gauge how people felt.

Issues and injuries aside, the Astros are a far better team with Correa on it and I don’t want him traded.

The only way I’d even begin to consider a trade is if it brought back a ridiculous haul.

everyday eddie and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Slightly off topic, but last week I got a massage from a tiny Asian lady. She did a decent job, but she walked on my back and slipped a little. Now my lower back has a slight ache.
    I'm not saying this is what happened with Correa, or that he would use someone who employs that method, but you can hurt yourself getting a massage.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Not sure I really love or are blown away by any of those deals...but you know more about prospects than me.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I have two immediate reactions to this comment... The first is are the 2018 Astros, who did not win the WS, better/worse/the same with a fully healthy Carlos Correa? If your answer isn't "better," maybe baseball simply isn't your thing. So I'm not sure how *trading away* Correa *improves* their chances of winning another World Series.

Larger perspective... what, exactly, *is* the value of a 6+ bWAR 24-year old shortstop? Can we all stop to clearly recognize how fortunate we are to have one? They don't grow on trees.

I'd have to really think about it... but I'm not sure there are literally 10 players in all of MLB that I'd trade for Carlos Correa, given his age, production and cost. And one of them is already a teammate so...

13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Wasn't getting a massage therapist part of the deal in signing Kaz Matsui and we kept the massause even after cutting Matsui?

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fangraphs is releasing their trade value rankings this week, and Correa was 45th.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-trade-value-1-to-10/

Correa is a very good player. But he’s not a superstar, and with only 2 seasons of control he’s not untouchable. I’d put him around the 5th best SS, 30th best overall position player, and 50th most valuable player overall.

I’m glad Houston has him, but there are plenty of scenarios (none of which are likely or even all that realistic) where it would make sense to trade him.

Hey Now! likes this.
  15. Hey Now!

Not to mention his game 2 home run made it 5-3, a lead Giles coughed up in the B10.

The guy had a career .890 postseason OPS before 2018; but, sure - let's complain about not enough game-winning home runs.....

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. jayfree

jayfree Member

Even if the Astros were to entertain the thought of trading him, his value right now will not be as high as it most likely will be when he comes back from his injury and plays well to finish off the season.

17. jayfree

jayfree Member

If we are calculating a players worth by game winning homeruns then Marwin and Chris Burke would be all-time hall of famers.

Hey Now! likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

Which is higher than... (checks list) every single player you listed as a potential trade target. And last year, he was 5th, BTW.

His issue is health. But if you want to trade him because he can't stay healthy (which, frankly, is dumb assuming he doesn't have a recurring, sustainable injury)... why would any other team want to assume that risk? It greatly diminishes the return.

#58 Hey Now!, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Which is why my hypotheticals all included additional players/prospects coming back for him.

20. HTown2017Champs

If, say, he has a healthy and spectacular 2020 season, his arb number for his final year goes way up, and our farm has developed enough hitting depth to compensate for his loss, would you be willing to trade for a young, controllable starter with Strom-like peripherals? Wanna hear what y'all think.