1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump and supporters sinks to new low "Send her back"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If Trumpers weren't happy why would they want to make America great again? They could have just left.

ThatBoyNick and Anticope like this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I guess Trump and his worshipers now have their boogeyman for 2020. Worked perfectly with Hillary in 2016, so why not do it again?

[​IMG]

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

On Patriotism:

a

FranchiseBlade and VooDooPope like this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

BTW, has anyone noticed that because of all this tweeting nonsense, no one is talking about Trumps relationship with Epstein anymore? Hmmm.....

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Black Muslim immigrants are not welcome here unless they are “moderate”.

Why haven’t libs gotten the memo?

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

You actually believe that phrase isn't used against non whites? I heard this said to me as a kid after I was called Jackie Chan. I'm not even Chinese and was maybe in the 4th grade.

7. durvasa

After his handlers explained to him that it was a really bad look and he needs to distance himself from it, he meekly said he didn’t like it when reporters questioned him about it.

He gave no indication that he had any problems with it while the chant was going on and he followed it by attacking her further.

Is that what you call “denouncing”?

No, he was totally fine with it. Lots of people are, including multiple people posting on the topic on here. Just accept that’s where we are as a country right now.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

After he created the whole ugly statement on Twitter, and after his child stoked this chant before the speech... yes he did.

9. durvasa

She’s absolutely better. Even if one sharply disagrees with her stance on Israel and US support for Israel, she is better if for no other reason that she actually apologized for the insensitivity of some of her remarks.

London'sBurning likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And after he basked in it for 13 full seconds while it was happening.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You're very good at picking up all the subtle insinuations of prejudice in Omar's remarks (something the press has to do a bit of a history lesson on to get readers to understand) and somehow can't see the very obvious ones in Trump's?

On Omar's attitude on Jews, I think her moral outrage about what Israel is doing (which I share) has led her to be a little too zealous, too personal and raw, in her criticism, and her remark could be called antisemitic. I don't think I can conclude she is therefore an anti-semite on that one remark. I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt unless and until her future actions and comments help cement the case. Trump's already done that. His tweets about her sounded racist, but I'd already concluded that he was a racist before those tweets. From his housing discrimination, to his Mexicans are rapists, to his saying the Indiana judge was prejudiced by his race, to his 'I want my accountant to be a Jew,' to his birtherism, to his many many other tweets and statements at rallies that betray his feelings -- he has built a very robust case. He is not a guy who once in a blue moon says an ill-considered off-color thing. He's a racist who repeatedly and often intentionally expresses his racist attitudes. She's early in her career; maybe someday Omar will have built her case if she really is an anti-semite. But I don't see how you can fairly conclude she's an anti-semite on one or two or three comments while steadfastly ignoring Trump's long record.

zksb09, jo mama, Anticope and 5 others like this.
  12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Sure buddy.

This is how you denounce something.

I could give two ****s about Ilhan. I don't like her, but to tell an American to go back to her country is just plain wrong on so many levels. I was born in India but have now been in the US for 30 out of my 40 years. I've been told quite a few times to go back to my own country. It's happened before Trump, during Trump and will prolly happen after. I have thick skin so I can handle it, but that does't mean it doesn't hurt just a little bit. And to have the President of the United States not immediately put an end to this just makes me mad.

The fact that some of you on here continue to defend these despicable pieces of crap says something about you as well. You may not chant it, but the mental gymnastics you are doing to defend it means you yourself are ****in despicable.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Probably. But does that mean the POTUS has to go even lower into the mud? Of course nothing better can be expected from a pos like Donald Trump.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Agree but I think I would replace "attitude with Jews" with "attitude towards Israel".

I doubt she has an attitude towards Jewish people.

ThatBoyNick, glynch and Amiga like this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I haven't seen any real evidence of that.

If she had said something like “The only guys I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes all day” I would believe she might be and that statement certainly is antisemitic. Only that was said by Donald Trump.

She has voiced her opinion against Israel, but I haven't seen anything regarding all Jewish people.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Isn't this false thing equivalent to this true thing? She's no better.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. ima_drummer2k

This is the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw that Trump had "denounced" this.

I've always loved the way he just grabbed the mic out of that old bat's hand and just moved on. LOL.

I often wonder where our country would be right now if McCain hadn't been forced to choose that dipshit Palin for his running mate back in 2008. I feel like that's when this whole dumbing down of the GOP started. First Palin, then the tea party, and then ultimately Trump.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the biggest sleight-of-hand tricks that American conservatives have fallen for/perpetuated is that “anti-Zionism, as defined by Israel’s actions in the last decade = anti-Semitism”.

It’s largely based on a Christian Zionist interpretation of scripture and that group’s outsized presence within American evangelicalism. These people believe that they must support all Jewish claims to the Holy Land since the “restoration” of the Jews’ covenant with God is necessary to trigger the Christian apocalypse. Never mind what they believe will happen to the Jews once that apocalypse happens, of course. Hardcore Christian Zionists are more than happy to use the Jewish people as a tool to trigger their preferred prophecy.

In this devil’s bargain, conservative Zionist politicians are more than happy to accept the political and monetary support of Christian Zionists as they expand Israeli territory. After all, if you don’t believe that a particular prophecy will even happen, what do you care about accepting the support of a group who does when that group has such an strong influence in American politics? The throughline looks something like this: Christian Zionists → Evangelicals at-large → GOP primary influence → American influence at-large. WGBH recently produced an excellent podcast about this relationship called GroundTruth. I highly encourage you to listen if you’re at all curious about this topic.

I recently returned from a trip to Israel and it’s a very interesting, and clearly divided, place. Pretending one side is 100% at-fault and one side is 100% innocent is simplistic and ignores the reality on the ground. Like most subjects, this requires nuance to understand (and I certainly don’t understand it all). Approaching it from an absolutist position gets you nowhere and absolutism has been the name of the game for the last 70 years.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Thanks. It will take me a bit but I will give the podcast a listen

mtbrays likes this.
  20. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

So, Americans that are dissatisfied with their government should leave, but asylum seekers that are dissatisfied with their government need to stay and fix it?

And, for the record, telling somebody to go back to where they came from is, literally, a textbook example of bigotry.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fede...cOJ_dJF4s368OdbsgH5e5eH5waWPYE8_wvwBGjZcQnH8A