1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Thoughtful Defense of NOT Expanding the trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jul 18, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

Why the neck would we want P Pat?

He can't play defense or rebound and he is always hurt.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

As many have said already...it’s not about getting somebody like Patterson for his abilities. It’s getting his salary thrown in so you can use it for future trades.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

If the Rockets wait until they are the clear cut favorites to win the championship in order to delve into the
    luxury tax.......then we the fans may be waiting a long time.

I don’t believe playing Eric Gordon/Harden at small forward will get it done when we have to face the likes of
    LeBron/Kawhi/Paul George/Antetokounmpo/Butler/ etc at SF on the way to the championship.

I guess the hope is House improves enough by the playoffs to help Tucker guard the combo Kawhi/George....
    watch Harrell go off on us.

ghettocheeze and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I definitely think we are interested in re-signing him. Either a Vet Min, or some trade that DM is going to pick at for the next few months. Also, I think Shump actually gave us some decent minutes in the playoffs.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A vet-min doesn’t do you much good because if you’re wanting to trade him in the future for a good player, you’re going to need more salary going out...

Shumpert did give some decent minutes at times in the playoffs, but by in large he was pretty bad. Really it just comes back to the initial trade for him should have never happened.

Kim and Gray_Jay like this.
  6. icewill36

icewill36 Member

who did we pick up last year in the buyout market ?

the thing about that is bought out players have a choice. they may not choose to play in houston.

sorry tillman, you cant fool me again. this guy only cares about pinching pennies. no respect for a legend in his prime

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

replying to one analogy with another is like bringing a baseball bat to a baseball bat fight.

Lawlruschang, don grahamleone and Kim like this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That analogy was as effective as running a hurdles race backwards.

smoothie likes this.
  9. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Rivers and faried who both made an impact on the team

Lawlruschang likes this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL...all this Sign and trade Shumpert talk misses one thing. He knows he is being used as an asset. Maybe he wants to control where he plays. If he doesn’t have to play ball with the Rockets. If I was him, I would not sign with the Rockets if Im going to be traded to Minny, Memphis, etc....

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

tl;dr nothing is happening, cheapman still won't go over tax even though our window is next 2 years, rivers probably took under table deal to help cheapman out

Wizards are one of those terribly run FO. What's going to happen is (like usual), Beal will walk and Wizards will get nothing in return and continue sucking. They just refuse to rebuild even though they should've started this process after realizing Wall peaked.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

But there's not much money left out there and he has no offers accepted yet. I mean, I honestly don't know what his market value is, but I'd be surprised if it's the hypothetical $5M we're talking about here if he was added to the CP3 deal. I mean, he could have been completely not involved with the CP3 deal, so that's a separate complaint. But if he were to be combined, anywhere from the $5M to $8M, that's just a whole lot of money. I guess we're assuming he'd take that over the minimum signing somewhere else where he wants to be, otherwise he'd have already done that. We'll have to wait and see.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. Chamillionaire

It all depends on how much he's getting paid. At this point in his career, if he's getting anything worthwhile, he needs to just keep getting em checks.

14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Shump already has a ring. He's absolutely taking a big bag over "controlling where he plays." C'mon man. There is about a 2% chance he'd take a min on a contending team than like a potential 5M+ we'd offer him (which may or may not be his value, but for future matching purposes). He'd still be on a contender and get paid.

The big part they'd try to negotiate is any possible NG'd years though I'd assume, which makes Shump an even more attractive asset in trades. He has to sign for a minimum 2 years as part of his Bird Rights i believe, but any year beyond the first can be NG'd. I think JR recently signed his last deal like that. I could be wrong and it could be another player.

basketballholic likes this.
  15. Feedoffdoubt

Feedoffdoubt Member

This isn’t a competition, it’s a fan site. What’s the point in tearing down fellow group members to get an ego boost from being right?

16. biff17

biff17 Member

Why does anybody think just because we have a salary he would be easy to trade.

People act like just because we want a trade teams will be happy to trade with us.

17. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Thanks for the thoughtful analysis but I respectfully disagree. Boiled down, the argument is we may have the opportunity to use Shump salary and trade for other players not currently on the market if we wait. As many have pointed out, including @justtxyank , Houston had an opportunity to get expiring contracts from OKC in Roberson and Patrick Patterson that could also work as salary fodder, but Houston passed on it.

Also, as you said, the caveat the main caveat is that Houston must resign Shump. Has anyone heard any rumors of Houston's interest in sighing Shump? Anything at all? Cap experts have posited how he can be used as a human trade exception but has anyone heard any leaks that the Front Office is interested in this? Has Morey hinted at it? My belief: Shump is staring at a vet min from houston that is there if he wants it. We'll all be disappointed when he goes elsewhere, or weirdly, when he takes it.

snowconeman22 and Deuce like this.
  18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You weren’t looking at who was ‘liking’ my posts: The very people you say I was tearing down for my own ego’s sake.

(I do bust on trolls though. Kim, smoothie and whoever else I responded to are great fans I’ve corresponded with for years. That being said I appreciate you looking out for your fellow members.)

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't think anyone here is being too serious. It's fine to make fun of everyone's dumb posts - it's the off-season.

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Forget about these imaginary trades.

Gilman Fertits is too cheap. Damn him for buying our Rockets.