1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest Key to Westbrook's Success: John Lucas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #34, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Denovo

Denovo Member

I would love it if Westbrook had a shooting outburst like DRose did last year. Not very likely but possible.

He doesn’t even need to shoot THAT well. If he can just be respectable enough to not be left open we’ll be fine.

roslolian likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dammit! I knew there would be someone I was forgetting! Any other 2-professional-sport Rockets?

#34 Member

Like I mentioned in my original post, Russ and John Lucas have an almost identical shooting stroke. So no, Russ doesn't need a "shot doctor" and that's not what John Lucas does, [which is what differentiates him from Calvin in this role] rather Lucas is about space and comfort. Watching him warmup with Gordon before games is a thing of beauty because you get to see the little things like hip placement and timing and other subtleties that they work on.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wtf is space is comfort? WB is trying to shoot the ball not traveling somewhere his shooting mechanics are what is comfortable to him as that is what he has been doing for decades and space has more to do with his teammates and their gameplan than what he does himself.

Hip placement and timing are part of shot mechanics I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Luckily for us, a pull up Westbrook mid range jumper is one of the least efficient shots in the league. It’s in the thread about Westbrook breaking some random statistic.

So, we shouldn’t have divided loyalties on this the way we did with CP3’s mid range jumper (which was relatively efficient).

topfive likes this.
  6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Westbrook admitted to having a poor shooting season last year in his exit interview so I have no doubt his % will improve this year, especially in a system and with teammates that suit him more.

#34 likes this.
  7. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Since when has Westbrook had "anger issues" on AND off the court?

#34 likes this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

What Westbrook needs is exactly a coach who he can respect and will keep him reigned in.

Westbrook's entire career has basically been him walking all over his coaches. "I do what I want" is basically Westbrook's motto til now.

#34 Member

My apologies for not being able to explain this to you in a better fashion. Hopefully as the season goes along there will be visual examples to help support what I obviously don't have the ability to articulate.

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  10. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Most players in the league now have such massive egos that they aren't going to even know who some of these guys are, let alone listen to what they have to say. The game has changed a ton in just 6 years, getting advice from guys who played 40 years ago isn't too relevant. I believe one of the younger guys on the Suns was on camera saying he didn't know who Hakeem was. Relying on some player development coach to drastically change the habits of a guy who has been in the league for a decade makes little sense.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Lol. No, I will not be counting on Lucas.

12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Calvin Murphy really needs to teach Free Throw Shooting to Russell Westbrook and Clint Capela especially.

Calvin shot 90 plus percent of his Free Throws, at least come to practice and teach them the basics.

#34 Member

Unfortunately this is true in way too many instances. I remember reading an article several years ago crediting this phenomena with part of the reason Pat Riley hired [video coordinator] Erik Spoelstra as head coach. The players related to him way more than they did Riley, lol. It remains to be seen, but with Lucas' reputation around the league it'd be a shame if a player of Westbrook's caliber wasn't familiar with him.

BallSoHarden likes this.