1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable Feigen fluff article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Jul 16, 2019.

1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

D-rock and joshuaao like this.
  2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No, “you” do. It’s quite apparent to others.

3. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Shumpert? That’s been the speculating all this time. Why we giving up on that being the salary now? Nothing has changed.

foofo likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The figure I posted was simply the "Tax" not the salary that put you there,

So yes , 17m + tax of 35.25 = 52.25m actual cost for the 17m.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No , I didn't find an actual calculator - Someone should make one.

I just did the simple math.

There's a simple explanation of it , I'll find it and post a link when I get home.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ch44 is an insider and said 3rd and/or 4th team was in mix and that Rockets priority acquisition target in expanding trade was Covington.

7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Because currently the Rockets are up against the tax, while owing Shumpert nothing. He's a free agent. He has a cap hold, as he was a Rockets player last season, and the Rockets hold his Bird rights, but AIUI, this cap hold is not included in salary calculations until he is actually signed to a new deal (The Rockets could renounce his Bird rights, but this wouldn't affect whether the Rockets owe tax or not.)

So whatever contract the Rockets give Shumpert, that would be of value in acquiring a better player making roughly as much, plan on a luxury tax bill in the neighborhood of twice that number. The Rockets give him a 13.2 contract? Expect a separate tax bill in the 25-30 million dollar range. Our owner will not pay tax (until he does, which I'll believe when I see it.), so Shumpert will likely not be re-signed for anything other than the minimum.

EDIT: As I believe @Nook has recently stated, tax is assessed on what the payroll is at the end of the season. So the Rockets could acquire this unknown player with a Shumpert SnT, and yet not pay tax, provided they dumped that much salary by the end of the NBA year. How that could be done is an exercise for the reader.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you link me that post? I can’t seem to find it.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wish I could Rudy, it's been pretty fast and furious last few days so forget which thread it was posted.

But if you search ch44 you should find it pretty quick, he doesn't post much (although when he does he drinks Dos Equis).

RudyTBag and Chamillionaire like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This is true - the only day that counts as far as tax purposes is the last day of the league year.

You could conceivably be above the tax line for the entire season other than that last day and avoid the tax.

11. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...on-for-cp3-picks.300236/page-82#post-12531004

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've decided my new band will be called The Inevitable Feigen Fluff Article.

D-rock and T for 3 like this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If the luxury tax is the barrier its been made out to be …. ugh. They are about 200k under the tax as of now.

Salary+Tax
    Iggy costs 17+35.25

Covington is 11.3+22.375

I know hoopshype is a crap source but this is a simple explanation of calculating the numbers
    https://hoopshype.com/2018/10/11/nba-luxury-tax/

Can you see Tilman forking that over for either one of them ?

D-rock, JoeBarelyCares and Gray_Jay like this.
  16. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Nope. Maybe some of the minor contracts (over the minimum number of players needed to field a roster) could be sent over to defray some of the tax, but I think either one realistically costs you Tucker or Gordon. And I doubt RoCo will be cut loose by Minny without having to take back some of their garbage like Dieng.

So you'd lose Gordon, and if you couldn't dump Dieng's deal with yet more picks (EDIT) at the deadline, the Rockets'd have a similar tax bill to one of those you laid out in your post. Yay.

Another Edit. RoCo may not be available period, if the rumor the Wolves want to use him to get DeAngelo Russell after 12/15 are true.

#216 Gray_Jay, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Still no sign of a fluff piece?

18. basketballholic

I consider him a common role player. What's so bad about that that it would taint your point?

19. basketballholic

Ha!

Well. We'd have to trade Ego and PJ for that to happen. And I know we ain't trading PJ this season. So it depends on your definition of spending money on a role player. But I'd probably bet on #TWOCHOPPERS spending first. Because I think Capela is getting traded.

20. basketballholic

LOL

I LOVE that.

treyk3 likes this.