1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iPhone 8 Plus to XR

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by austinite, Jul 17, 2019.

1. austinite

austinite Contributing Member

I am an old and slightly computer illiterate and am having issues trying to get my settings transferred from my iPhone 8 Plus to my iPhone XR. It is a known Apple issue with iOS version 12.3.2 and I can’t download from my iCloud backup. So far no fix and google search has lead me to fone rescue and PhoneRescue and I got both to a point it recovered all my data but I had to pay to get it transferred over. Does anyone here know a FREE way to get the backup transferred over from the 8 plus to the XR? I would need a link with specific step by step instructions. Anyways probably the wrong forum but appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks!

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I unfortunately haven't been with Apple products in a long time, but with that said would Apple genius bar help here or no? And sorry if I missed that since you mentioned the known issue. Wish I could be more help, but I think the last Apple product I had was an iPhone 4 and an iPad 4th Gen

#2 CCity Zero, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You have itunes on a computer? You can do a backup in ITunes, then restore from backup there. Works best on a Mac, but will work on windows.

London'sBurning likes this.
  4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Did this for a friend recently with a phone data migration from iPhone 6 to iPhone 8. It's really simple. Plug in your phone to your computer and start iTunes.

A little phone icon should appear on the top left part of your monitor. Click on that phone icon and you should have options about backing up your data. Save your data somewhere you can retrieve it on your computer. The backup should take about 5-10 minutes. Once done, unplug your old phone and plug in your XR and migrate that backed up data to your XR. I wouldn't plug in the SIM card yet into the XR until after the backup is done.

Worst case if you find yourself unable to do it, Best Buy employees will do that xfer for you for $30.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

Scroll to middle of page for iTunes backup.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I did this before and I think iCloud can restore apps and contracts if you turn it on from iphon8 then allow sync

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member