1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy vs Russell Westbrook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Jul 17, 2019.

?

Who has the best fashion sense?

1. Russell Westbrook

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Calvin Murphy

34 vote(s)
    77.3%
  1. BreakYoSelfFool

Who has the best/worst fashion sense? Who will wear the craziest outfit this season? Pics?

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not even close. Calvin by a mile over Ninja Turtle.

Invisible Fan and tmoney1101 like this.
  3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

This just isn’t fair. The only thing as elite as murph’s free throw shooting is his fashion sense.

BaselineFade and Highlyrated like this.
  4. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

Murph is the MAN...I miss him on the game broadcasts

Killatron 2000 and Sledge187 like this.
  5. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Westbrick vs Murphy...

Come on man, WESTBRICK?

6. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Calvin was way ahead of his time. Many have came before Russ.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

Gotta ease in to the whole cheering for Russ thing, but comparing him to Murph's style is a fast way to get an L...for anyone

Sledge187 likes this.
  8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Calvin's pimp suits for the win

beard4life likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hard to pick. Both of them kind of dress like they lost a bet. :confused:

bobrek and Red.Glare like this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

We have 2 ninja turtes on the team now

11. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

I've never seen Murph in skinny jeans.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

A lot of Houston connections in there.

Serena Williams
    Odell Beckham Jr.
    Russell Westbrook
    James Harden
    Dwyane Wade
    Maria Sharapova
    Lewis Hamilton
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    LeBron James
    Tom Brady
    P.K. Subban
    Von Miller
    Kelly Oubre Jr.
    Travis Kelce
    Cam Newton
    Antonio Brown
    DeAndre Jordan
    Nick Young
    Jamal Adams
    Iman Shumpert
    Bryce Harper
    DeAndre Hopkins
    Ashlyn Harris
    Neymar Jr.
    Serge Ibaka
    P.J. Tucker
    Lindsey Vonn
    Hector Bellerin
    Chris Paul
    Ben Simmons
    Kyrie Irving
    Dennis Schroder
    Jimmy Butler
    Venus Williams
    Mike Conley
    Michelle Wie
    Roger Federer
    Kevin Love
    Henrik Lundqvist
    Malcolm Jenkins
    Tyrod Taylor
    Russell Wilson
    Evander Kane
    Jarvis Landry
    Dina Asher-Smith
    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
    Rudy Gay
    Auston Matthews
    Megan Rapinoe
    Kalani Brown

Russell Westbrook
    It’s hard to predict what the NBA’s style trailblazer and self-proclaimed Fashion King will wear next, but that surprise factor and fearlessness are exactly what make Russell Westbrook a style icon. From arena tunnels before games to the streets of Paris during Fashion Week, the 30-year-old doesn’t waver from his “Why not?” approach to dressing, sporting everything from designer threads and the latest kicks, to vintage clothing, trendy Zara pieces and unconventional suits.

James Harden
    While James Harden’s style of play on the court might stir up some controversy, there’s no debate over his dominance in the fashion game. For the 2018–19 season, the Rockets guard carefully planned his daring and dashing ensembles, pairing his signature beard with everything from bright floral prints to neon suits and more.

Iman Shumpert
    Along with his wife Teyana Taylor, Iman Shumpert completes the fashion power couple duo with his on-trend and risk-taking style choices. Shumpert also has his own menswear line called Centerpiece, which features track pants, hoodies, graphic tees and more.

DeAndre Hopkins
    DeAndre Hopkins may look to Pharrell for some fashion inspiration, but the Texans wide receiver has a unique, enviable style all to his own. Hopkins mixes luxurious and intricate designer pieces with more casual options from retailers like ASOS with ease.

P.J. Tucker
    When Rockets forward P.J. Tucker enters an NBA arena, you’ll likely see him sporting a fresh pair of kicks (and holding a pair, too) and a killer outfit featuring bright colors and bold patterns.

STYLE MOTTO: “It’s hard to say what makes up PJ’s style. I think its just originality more than anything—putting things together that someone else wouldn’t do. I like to experiment. Like I had this pair of shoes and I wanted to find a suit that I could wear with them—that was my mission, to find something that wasn’t a regular suit but that could make the shoe pop a little bit. I like to have fun with different clothes that might not go together.”

WHY IS FASHION IMPORTANT TO YOU: “It’s just fun. It’s something outside of basketball where I can show my artistic side and things that I like doing. With shoes and clothes, I’ve always wanted to personalize it and make it my own.”

ON THE ROCKETS’ TEAM FASHION: “On our team—me, Chris [Paul] and James [Harden]—we’re all just totally different. In the stuff we wear and the way we wear it. It’s so funny because a lot of time me and James [Harden] wear the same pieces, but we wear it totally different. Then some of the other guys crack jokes.”

Chris Paul
    Rockets Thunder point guard Chris Paul always puts a personal touch on his highly-coveted and comfortable dressed-up looks, mixing formal suits with sneakers and adding in a special message or theme to every fit.

STYLE INSPIRATION: “I'm a big believer in: you have to wear what you want to wear and not what you're supposed to wear. I think a lot of guys get caught up in trying to wear what they think people want them to wear, instead of what you’re comfortable in or expressing your own style. One of the biggest things I wanted to do this year with my clothes was champion people and designers of color and represent HBCUs. So that’s what we did.”

WHY FASHION IS IMPORTANT: “It's about supporting us—and when I say that, I’m not just talking about people of color. Russell Westbrook is one of the guys that I compete unbelievably hard against, we go so hard against each other, but people wouldn't know that me and Russ got a close relationship. Russ has a clothing line, Honor the Gift. I wore some of his stuff during the season. Melo has a collaboration with Goorin Bros, so I wore his hat. Another game, I wore LeBron’s shoes. I think in what we've done for so long, especially as athletes, we were pit against each other all the time, like competition. It's so important for us to support each other.”

FAVORITE FIT: “It sounds so generic, but I love warm-up suits. I love suits that are like leisure. But I also love a dressed up suit—I’ll wear a double-breasted suit but I’m probably going to wear it with sneakers. And it’s funny, this year I started wearing slouch socks. When I played high school basketball like back then that was like a thing—you was a real hooper if you had slouch socks, you know what I mean? So we started wearing them again, just because we wanted to.”

13. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Hopefully 2nd one doesn't quit come playoff time like the first!

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Calvin for sure

15. BreakYoSelfFool

ESPN: What do you think of the current flavor of today's NBA players?

Murphy: In the league, [James] Harden wears different [clothes], [Kevin] Durant wears skinny jeans. I don't like any of that, that's the hip hop generation. They talk about me and they got clothes so tight they been sprayed on. That's not my flavor.

ESPN: You don't like Russell Westbrook's fashion?

Murphy: Once again, that's hip hop generation. I wouldn't wear it. I would look ridiculous. It's bad enough the criticism I get for wearing suits that are different print and different color. My flavor is different, my body isn't made to wear those pants that are so tight -- I'd look like a 68-year-old fool. It looks good on Westbrook and James Harden, and then [Chandler] Parsons started to wear jeans rolled up.

16. BreakYoSelfFool

I know Murph is a legend, but I'm a little surprised Westbrook doesn't get more love. He gets a lot of props from GQ and other fashion outlets and he doesn't use a stylist (I don't know if this is positive or negative). I think Calvin Murphy has the advantage because we only see him in formal wear. While it has shock value, Russell's casual wear is very weird and eccentric and can't compete with Calvin's Pimp vibes. But if we limit it to suits vs suits, surprisingly I like Westbrook better.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. BreakYoSelfFool

Some Calvin Murphy looks:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]