1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Jump] Rockets owner not sophisticated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 17, 2019.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Have you been to a Landry’s restaurant? Of course he isn’t sophisticated. He’s built a career on that premise

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fun fact: including the Rockets, at least 10 NBA teams now employ some method of primogeniture, featuring son-based management.

This list does not include our greatest modern day owner, a former son-manager himself, Mr. James Lawrence Dolan.

3. izeroi

izeroi Member

Typical Amin Elhassan. Guy does nothing but bash Houston any chance he gets.

D-rock likes this.
  4. rocketsmetalspd

Only way to shut all the negative talk from the media and BBS haters is just win a Chip! Nuff Said! H-Town Crazy! Go Rockets!

blazinhtown and bj3175 like this.
  5. lionaire

lionaire Member

Ofc he's not. You can't be sophisticated if you're a broke b!tch.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Who tf does OP think he is trashing Texans like that?

with all due respect, fck u

justtxyank and tinman like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I wish I could like this post 10 times

let these clowns know don...reckless talk needs to get checked

don grahamleone and tinman like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Clutch
    You realize the creator is Texan

He can delete you
    Respect Houston and respect Texas

9. tinman

Supporting Member

How many times have I told all of you of impure fans?

You see now ?!

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Five years? Les waited til we signed Chris Paul then sold
    Get your facts straight

11. tinman

Supporting Member

You see now why I want the population of fake fans to be zero?

don grahamleone and CCity Zero like this.
  12. DooghMaster9

DooghMaster9 Member

My boss used to work at the mariner years ago. Said Tillman frequented the place and he was the biggest ******* of all time. Also said that he often mispronounced common words horrendously. For being smart enough to become a billionaire, that caveat alone tells me he doesnt care what anyone says. How do u mispronounce 'restaurant' (which was one of the bad ones according to my boss, and it wasnt an accent thing it was completely weong) and own a restaurant enterprise without getting corrected one time or another? Well u do get corrected but he chose to say fck that im the king

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Usually, I'd be in agreement that people are hating purely because it's the Rockets.

But not this time.

I hate this new owner. I think he's already shown exactly what we can expect for his tenure owning this team. And that's money in his pockets is more important than winning the championship.

Let's also not forget, his tenure is never going to end in our life times considering his kids are already so far inserted into the organisation, and he's on record as saying it's something that's going to be passed down.

Imagine being in the business for a decade plus, know how the game works, know what's best, only to be told to do something different by a 20-something rich kid who's never had to do a day's work in his life.

I don't know if I even give it 5 years before this franchise is the new Knicks and the butt of all league jokes with how inept we're run.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I would argue that a lot of owners aren't "sophisticated" in the way they're using it here. Running a successful business and fielding a competitive sports team are different types and sets of skills, as much as people want to use them as metaphors for each other.

That's why they should let their GMs and people do the work. The owner should just be a cash cow who speaks and influences his GM but doesn't dictate..

You don't get rich based on your IQ or intellectual prowess. It's correlated but not causative. Getting rich is based on investing in something (time, resources, money) at the right place & time and having it grow. It takes a certain kind of smarts to do that, but not the kind that can speak fluently about statistics, probabilities, and predictive modeling.

Gray_Jay and FrontRunner like this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There are a lot of successful people out there who basically have the "king" attitude. It's arrogance, confidence, machismo, whatever. It helped them be a success. I've actually heard him say "restaurant" in interviews on CNBC several times, and he says it like a hardcore Southerner/Texan ... "restrunt". I've heard it pronounced that way a lot in the South. If he said it any other way, I'm not sure what it sounded like.

I don't know if Tilman is a great businessman or not, but if he's not, he sure as hell knows how to build a little empire. He's had about 40 years or so to completely fall on his face and screw things up, but he hasn't. He's just been successful. That can't be luck. Most lucky people would've squandered or bankrupted themselves by now (ie, exposed themselves for not having the talent to run a business or at least hand it over to people who do.)

All the above may not coincide with what Rockets fans want which can be anything from "don't meddle!" to "spend more!" to whatever else, but if he runs the Rockets like a business, well, that's what he's done pretty much all his life. Unfortunately that's probably our loss unless it ends in more or the ultimate success (a championship), but I'm not going to hate the man for it unless his meddling screws up the entire team.

SORF and DooghMaster9 like this.
  16. DooghMaster9

DooghMaster9 Member

I agree. And ur point is well taken. I havent heard him speak much to be fair, im more of a reader. Just dont screw up my team man!!!

17. icewill36

icewill36 Member

how can we win a chip with an owner that doesnt want to spend though ?

haters win again

18. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

A lot of bad mouth the rich man and his family because I'm broke mofos in here.

There are so many people here already convinced that the Rockets are done for. Can I get a serious WTF?! Aren't you at least curious how all of this is going to turn out?

Cant believe how many Jazz fans we have in here and all the people that believe them!!!

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Texans are better than Floridians
    @Rasheed

Rasheed likes this.