1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook Trade Not Expanded, Tilman Still Cheap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 16, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We dumped Ennis for no other reason than to duck the tax. We then didn't bother to let House be on the roster because we were in a contract dispute with him. When we got to the playoffs, House wasn't ready and D'Antoni glued him to the bench. At the same time Ennis was playing 20 minutes a night for the Sixers and despite shooting the 3 poorly was actually a very helpful player for them with an ORTG in the playoffs of 114.

We PAID Philly to take him so we could save money and avoid the repeater tax 3 years from now.

I was on a lonely island that day slamming that move.

2. thekad

thekad Member

I opposed the move on principle; using an asset to shed a rotation player on a contending team in Harden’s peak season in order to save the owner money.

The fact that he completely outplayed Shumpert afterwards just added insult to injury.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

100% with you.

Nook likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah it was definitely for that and the rockets placed their bets on unproven house being capable of filling a ennis role. once again going for the value route and hoping it works out for the best

Kim likes this.
  5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

This generally makes sense, but if so, why not to expand the trade and extract value from the transaction via a small deal like taking on Pat Pat for a pick or something (as @Nook and maybe others have suggested)?

Morey is known for aggressively pursuing competitive advantages in small ways. Seems uncharacteristic for him not to try to take advantage of the situation unless there were meaningful downsides to such a deal or (as speculated) ownership unwillingness to pay luxury tax for non-star roster improvements. It is becoming very hard for me not to agree with the growing consensus that ownership is unwilling to do what it takes to improve the team.

D-rock, BallaDoc and Kim like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

July 17: The Rockets are miraculously $1,000,000 below the tax line with almost no one worth signing left and with most of the MLE just sitting their unused.

[​IMG]

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

tilman has not made one winning move since he's been the owner.

• let ariza walk
    • didn't replace him with the MLE
    • spent assets to shed rotation players at the deadline instead of adding talent.
    • didn't spend the MLE this summer to add a rotation player
    • didn't extend the Westbrook trade
    • didn't replace half the coaching staff after firing them (turner is good but its unfair to think he can replace 5 people)
    • didn't extend MDA... or replace MDA. either pay for his extension or replace him with someone right now before training camp. going into the season with a lame duck coach as always lead to underachieving, which they will use as the excuse to not renew his contract next summer.
    • Westbrook for Paul is a winning move if you look at it in a bubble. he will give us a chance to win more regular season games than CP3. also, we may not have had much of a choice since there seems to be no market for Paul and James appears to have wanted him gone... but not extending it is terrible, and we may have overpaid with picks.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm likely wrong here, but for some reason as soon as i read this post i thought like we didn't want to take on Dieng's contract and couldn't find a 4th team to take on him for a 1st round pick.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

its funny how you were behind and in favor of the offseason moves a year ago. talking about matters such as how you were happy not overpaying for ariza. Now apparently you want to say he has not made one winning move since hes been the owner

hindsight is a helluva thing

#90 YOLO, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Smacktle and biff17 like this.
  11. The Cat

Serious question on this: What if Danuel House turns out to be good?

I won't speak for everybody, but for me... I wasn't at all optimistic on retaining House entering the summer. I assumed they would use the Taxpayer MLE due to the hard cap, and the rumored wing targets in June were Danny Green, Jeremy Lamb, and Al-Farouq Aminu. Or I thought they'd maybe give it to Rivers. Some of those guys ended up getting above T-MLE deals... and among players in the actual T-MLE price tier, is it not plausible that House could perform similarly or better?

Now, you can certainly argue "what if the Rockets had offered what was left of their 2018-19 MLE to House during the season?" and such. For me personally, I'm skeptical House would have accepted it back then — I think he and his agent were hoping for more than they got, but the disappointing playoff run hurt his market some. But even if he would have and we concede that was a mistake, that's a completely separate decision from what they did this summer by giving House the majority of the T-MLE.

Tilman has been far from perfect, but IMO, it's piling on to act as if they did nothing with the MLE this summer. I know it feels like they didn't use it to upgrade, since House was here last year... but since they had no Bird rights, he was in the same pile as everybody else. From an investment standpoint, they did use it (at least the majority), and It's quite possible that House ends up being a good signing for that.

(My guess is that assuming they don't have an NT-MLE curveball, they do end up using what's left of the T-MLE to give one or two 3-year deals to developmental guys like they did with Hartenstein and Clark a year ago. Maybe Clemons.)

#91 The Cat, Jul 17, 2019
    justtxyank and RayRay10 like this.
  12. biff17

biff17 Member

Just to much logic here.

Smacktle likes this.
  13. BigBum

BigBum Member

This is What Tilman wants:

GS spent $72 million dollars to win the first championship in 2015.

GS spent $92 million dollars to win 73 games in the regular season in 2016.

Tilman is likely to spend $130 million this coming season.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we still have one of the 5 most expensive payrolls in the entire league and will end up one of the top teams in the west. ppl here so negative like you should be banned. you don't deserve this team go root for the jazz or knicks. 2 mvps and still not satisfied get a life

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

There are still moves that can be made without hitting LTS.

If Morey wants another player with star potential (or aging star) he can make it happen.

Only problem is that it will cost EGo, Clint or both.

And forget about Shump being re-signed, never mind SnT.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Propaganda. He gets good seats. We get it. House is a regular season player. We need players with balls and high IQ.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

welcome back

18. The Cat

Some would say (and have said) they need youth.

That said, obviously you don't have to agree. That's fine. But we shouldn't act like they didn't use it.

#98 The Cat, Jul 17, 2019
  19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Narrator: “Though some say not, the owner is indeed... cheap.”

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Lol

chievous minniefield likes this.