1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Russell Westbrook improve his FG%?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jul 17, 2019.

?

Will Russell Westbrook improve his FG%?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    79.4%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I doubt it because individually not much is changing, however, I think he will have even more opportunities for assists both in the post and outside the 3pt line. I think what will improve his stats is having better supporting players and less pressure when on the court with Harden. It would be better if he takes less but quality shots, and instead, work on building chemistry with the role players to make them better. My biggest concern is how will he be off the ball? We know that Harden is flexible and can play off the ball if he wants to, but can Westbrook adapt when we need him to?

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i expect him to shoot more 3's which will lower his %.

however i also expect a *slightly* more efficient game.

the big win here is that our max contract guy will play >70 games instead of <60 games.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Supposedly last year's new rule where the FT shooter must remain within the circle messed up his routine. Before the change, he walked to center court and back before shooting his FTs. Hopefully he gets a new routine that works for him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

I believe he will improve in every aspect, including his shooting.

I'm not really sure why so many Rockets fans are so negative towards Westbrook. Maybe it's the homer mentality leaking over from when Westbrook was on OKC, but he is still a great player. He has a much better cast here in Houston, plus he is playing alongside someone that he already has a close tie too.

hakeem94 and Plowman like this.
  5. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Honestly, I am probably one of the few Clutchfans who is appreciative of the roster change. To me, CP3 and Harden have been tried and proven to be a failure. A change was needed. I'm not down on Westbrook, but I can't imagine how his shooting % will improve, considering Rockets encourage more 3s and less 2s (unless layup or dunk). I did say some other aspects of his game should improve with an improved squad.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly.
    If he can average 3 assists to Harden a game . . . I will be Estatic!!!

Rocket River

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh? the trade has a favorable approval based on the votes.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...-you-like-the-cp3-for-westbrook-trade.300249/

The "few clutchfans" applies to those who aren't sold on wb and his fit for obvious reason

Riz likes this.
  8. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

I guess I'm in the same boat as you, even though I like CP3, I believe this trade was the right move given the current situation.

As far as his shooting goes, I believe people are looking a little too much into the numbers. I do believe he can and will improve his shooting. He will have better looks at the basket and more help with this cast than he had in OKC.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Westbrooks TS% actually consecutively dropped in the last two seasons, after OKC got PG13, despite WB deferring to PG13 offensively with his PPG dropping, again consecutively, to nearly 10 whole points less than his loner MVP season...That is a TERRIBLE sign. WB, by all means, should have become more efficient playing next to another star PG13, not less.

I think the problem is, WB is a major rhythm shooter, and because of that he actually shoots worst if he isn't constantly putting up shots - much like his MVP season, which was the most efficient season of his entire career. I'm afraid that the less he shoots the ball, the worse he shoots.

I really, really hope WB is willing to re-invent himself and that MDA & Morey finds some game plan that makes him fit efficiently. I honestly think the only to make Russell efficient, is to have him accept essentially a 6'3 Ben Simmons role, where he isn't allowed to shoot outside of the paint. His PPG would drop to below 15, but he could legitimately put up above league average efficiency numbers consistently if he did so. But in order for that to work in the Rockets system, we would likely need to move Clint for stretch 5 that could keep the floor spaced.

#29 ThatBoyNick, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

people like to bring this up constantly but it isn't true. shooting numbers don't just improve here if at all just because you play on this team. they generally stay the same or even dip lower because the rockets shoot more than any other team in the league, which gives the higher probability of variance. if you can't shoot on this team, particularity as a perimeter player the track record shows it will not end well at all.

what the rockets system particularity highlights is efficiency but again said player needs to be able to possess the actual tools to contribute to that efficiency. other players on this team aren't putting the ball in the basket for you

11. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He shot 32%. Those other guys were bad in small sample sizes but it's weird to brag about a guy shooting bad just because some other notables shot worse.

YOLO likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah he still can't. this means next to nothing other than the person who posted it isn't that bright either

treyk3 and justtxyank like this.
  14. BigTex

BigTex Member

I imagine his TS% will go up. Last year was his TS% was way down to only 50%. :confused:

Career 53% TS.
    He was at 55% in both 2016 & 2017

15. the shark

the shark Member

He may improve his shooting, but he certainly is not a "good shooter".

Playing along side of Harden he'll also get a lot more open looks, but in my opinion it will only help his % slightly.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

he had the worst 3pt % among qualifiers. I mean everyone would hope that could rise, after being literally at the very bottom

justtxyank likes this.
  17. Homey the Clown

He will if he improves his decision making and shot selection. We didn't call him Westbrick for nothing before he was traded here.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What's more likely?

Westbrook learning to shoot or Tilman paying the luxury tax? A leopard cannot change its stripes!

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The truth is the truth. As it relates to this thread, his shooting and efficiency in general sucks. Like sucks historically bad. Every set of data backs that up.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Both his FG% and eFG% will go up.

The first because I think the FO/Staff will talk him into turning a good chunk of those mid-range shots into drives to the basket (where he hit 65%).

The second because the rest of the mid-range shots should turn into 3s, which just #maths better.