1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook Trade Not Expanded, Tilman Still Cheap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You have no idea what Minny wanted for RoCo.

Richie_Rich, Nook, topfive and 3 others like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What makes you say that?

I feel like I missed something.
    What’s wrong with these threads again?

Fan is excited and hopeful about his team. I fail to see the issue.

Plowman, topfive and alethios like this.
  3. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Carl Herrera with another negative post. Who knew that was going to happen?!

Go root for the Jazz!

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Pray for some good buyout targets that won't go play for either team in LA.

5. jowman

jowman Member

Tillman is trash all moves are consistent with an owner with no long term vision for the team and could care less about getting a championship. He’s Strictly about squeezing as many dollars outta fans and cutting costs while he does it.

His fake speeches about not being cheap is just marketing.

MrSabotage and thekad like this.
  6. alethios

alethios Member

[​IMG]

Plowman and RudyTBag like this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

pray for Paris pray for the parents.

cbass likes this.
  8. thekad

thekad Member

Disturbing amount of posters here would rather root for Tilman’s banking account than the team they’re supposed to be fans of.

How many more days until Plowman makes a thread praising the next scrub Morey signs to a NG contract or TheCat makes a post talking about how much “flexibility” we have until February (when nothing will happen)?

You guys should at least be getting paid for the shameless shilling.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You must have been a Knicks fan in a previous life. I'm about building a smart basketball franchise that can compete for decades and not just a few years.

Ariza and Luc wouldn't of helped us beat the Warriors last year.

topfive likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Let me get this straight...

In your world, "real" fans are the ones who slam the owner, the GM, AND the current players on the team?

[​IMG]

11. thekad

thekad Member

That must be why Tilman threw away two lightly protected picks and two picks swaps for 31 year old Westbrick. “Smart basketball franchise” move there.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Actually, with Ariza, we probably finish higher and avoid the Warriors in round 2 completely, giving us a better shot to finish them off in the WCF...

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

luc wouldn't of obviously bc hes been hurt for about a year now but ariza is definitely a proven rotational player that was never replaced on this roster. and considering the fact that only two players off the bench became reliable contributors in rivers/shumpert, yeah I'd say ariza would of helped without a doubt.

jowman and justtxyank like this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tell me how many picks it would take to trade CP3? Actually tell Presti, that's his problem now.

15. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

If Morey doesn't get fired I can see him leaving when his contract ends. His loyalty was to Les, not to this cheap fool.

It's sad that limitations (trickle-down negotiating because of Tilman's son, Luxury Tax limitations, forcing trades he's not comfortable for the sake of selling tickets for an owner who doesn't want to go into the luxury tax, lack of support to significantly help in the supporting cast).

Things that just really bug me about this new administration through either what is not being said or what's been already reported.

• Tilman installs his kid son to be his "representative" - Via the Chronicle article, having someone who is essentially just out of college to be your eyes and ears and essentially a "pass on the information guy" to the owner is a really bad sign. This allows Tilman to at times not have the hard conversations and can simply bypass that by having his son tell Morey to do this and that. I understand he wants his children to learn the business, but it could be at the expense of true transparency and a hint of dictatorship because he can just have the boy do a runaround.
    • His fixation to tell the media he will go above the luxury tax for a star - This is an example of being frustrated at what has not been said. I can't remember a single time where he consistently said that he will improve the roster "by any means possible" - which means paying for a supporting cast. He's never mentioned it once but gave us a politically correct answer to quite the "haters" that he is cheap. Truth is, he just amplifies his perception based on his comments alone. if you are only willing to pay for a star and nobody else - then you are cheap because you aren't willing to pay for someone who won't immediately and directly put money back in the pockets via merchandise, selling tickets, sponsorships, etc.
    • Morey's lack of bragging about ownership in the Media - Morey has always spoken very highly of Les (and most of us can now see why) and how active and smart of an owner he has been, how he's given him every resource he's needed, and his loyalty (literally said on the Bill Simmons podcast that he'd never leave the Rockets because of Les). All of the sudden that has stopped, and not only stopped but he's been visibly frustrated during speaking engagements (Sloan Conference Interview with Bill Simmons anyone?). I haven't even heard him consistently praise our new ownership outside of some random tweets of Chronicle articles and overall NBA ownership generalizations. On the other hand, he took every opportunity to defend and talk about Les's virtues.

I know its early, but first impressions are incredibly important - especially for a new boss to his team - and it builds into the culture over time. If the NBA has taught us anything about ownership - it's that just because you made a ton of money in your life, it does not mean you can run an NBA franchise. Especially if you leveraged your a$$ off just to buy the team.

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If not Ariza, then who he was traded for, Kelly Oubre Jr. If not Luc, then use the MLE on anyone else. If Shumpert doesn't get signed and traded, then there's no justification for giving two 1st round picks, one 2nd round pick, and Anderson/Knight/Shumpert other than to have luxury tax savings. @Clutch has the thread title about the Rockets mortgaging the future for this Westbrook trade, but they've been doing that way before. I'm a fan for life, but our window is now, and our future is screwed. I'll be around, but I wonder who else will be here with me 4 years from now when this team has absolutely no flexibility and declined stars. He's my team's boss, but I give the big middle finger to Tilman's lying arrogant ass and hope they win it all in spite of his hollow promises to spend like other championship teams and other contenders.

17. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Carl Herrera is a forum treasure and legend. Show some respect.

18. ch44

ch44 Member

Bummed out that the trade didn't get expanded because we had a great chance to pick up some extra talent without giving up someone like Gordon to match salaries. This wasn't on Tilman being cheap though. A lot has to go right for a 4 team trade to come together.

13BeardsIN1, yixiixiy, Game7 and 15 others like this.
  19. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Another Jazz fan exposes themselves!

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Absolutely. We lacked playable players, again. Ariza 100% could have made a difference this past year. Would he have gotten us another playoff round? That's impossible to say, but we would 100% have been better with Ariza on the team than we were without.

Here's an easier one though. Ennis would have been helpful. I think Feigen even reported in one of his articles that Morey admits it.

Richie_Rich, Nook and YOLO like this.